-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm thinking about putting a backpack on my XMas wishlist this year and am wondering which one(s) to consider.

I like the idea of an external frame that can also be used by itself, like a Medium ALICE pack, but I didn't like the weight and bulk of the ALICE pack when I had one.

I would prefer to get away from zippers if possible, or get a pack with good quality zippers if it has any.

This pack would be used for a possible BOB, hiking/camping and be expected to handle heavy use!

Thanks for any/all recommendations!

GB1

B
B
As far as I'm concerned the Badlands is the only way to go. The quality and durability is hands down the best. I was just on thier website and they now offer an external frame pack I think it is called the OX. Go check it out. I have a 2200 and love it. Tough as nails, comfortable, and set up very well. You will give out before this pack does. Lifetime no fault warranty. The zippers are heavy duty too. If you have not tried one on I highly recommend it. You wont be sorry.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
Look long and hard at Badlands and Eberlestock. I've become a back pack junky after suffering many years with packs that suck. Anyhow those are two I'd look at. I've heard nothing but good about Badlands and thats a pretty attractive warranty. I have a 2200 but I will be buying a Eberlestock Gunslinger because like I said, I'm a junky. Just for fun you may go to Blackhawk.com and look at there's. I just bought one for $50.00 or so and use it for coyotes. Anyhow they had two on sale and the savings were around $150.00. Check them out, good luck.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Badlands for the use you are describing. I have also been real impressed with the Sitka Gear packs that are out now. Time will tell if they will be durable enough but the design and fit is excellent.

R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
be sure to check out blacks creek packs. they are some of the best out there. we have some of the best prices out there too.
http://ridgelineoutdoors.com/cart/blacks_creek.html

the new featherlight is awesome, comfortable, and the lightest pack of its size, its worth looking at.. they will be out in a month or two.

Last edited by orion23; 01/06/10.

T.Brown
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Depending on your budget, I think Kifaru makes the best hunting packs made IMHO. I bought a military style Pointman used on the internet because I wanted the pals webbing and heavier material. I wore it today guiding rabbit hunters with beagles in the Adirondacks in NY. I wear it every day I hunt during the big game season whether guiding or hunting for myself. It is comfortable, tough, and carries weight very well. I bought a 1,000CI extra pocket that I carry inside the pack with essentials inside. If I have to bone out a deer and carry out the meat, the external pocket can be clipped to the pals webbing leaving the main pack bag empty. I carry it allot and use it hard. It stands up very well. My Pointman is different than what you descrie, but Kifaru makes a couple of internal frame pack that have a removable frame that can be used like a typical external frame without the pack bag.

The Kifaru packs are expensive, but are the toughest, most functional, and most comfortable packs with a heavy load I've ever carried.

I am not affiliated with Kifaru in any way, but for my uses, their packs are superior to anything available I know of including Badlands, Eberlystock, and all major pack makers.

Just my personal opinion.

I'd be happy to discuss by PM if you'd like.

Frank Shaw

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi everybody! I am new to Campfire forums, so far I really like the many different subjects and great discussions! I saw this thread and decided to put my .02. I am presently looking for a new hunting pack and have been trying to get other peoples opinions on some of these packs that I am not able to find at the local sporting goods stores. I can look up these packs on line but it is not the same as trying them on. i am tired of replacing packs every one to two years or having them fall apart and the maker not standing behind their product!!! So far my top three picks are...
1. MR Crew cab
2. Eberlystock just the one
3. MR Bighorn

Before anyone suggests a Badlands pack, they were the maker that didn't stand behind there product, won't buy another one!
Anyone have the Kifaru packs? Please let me have your thoughts on them? Any others should I consider, please let me know! Thanks!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Posted on Kifaru above if you haven't read it. You can send a PM if you'd like.

Frank

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (01Foreman400, 338reddog, 160user, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 23 invisible), 1,812 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,505
Posts18,490,628
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.