Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Maybe a new thread should be in the works. Tell me, being off the grid as you are, water seems to be important in life. How do you get the water, hand pump?
How do you shower?

Cold food storage, just wondering how this problem is solved.
I admire your family for staying off the grid, makes life somewhat more difficult. Not to many of your kind in the USA.

True confections time. whistle

We have power on the farm and we use it for the big house where my daughter her three kids live. We shower with unlimited hot water thanks to an electric tankless water heater. We live in a small cabin we restored this summer. It is 13'X31' outside two rooms. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We have two wood stoves, one in the living/sleeping room [Linked Image]

and a 1014 wood cook stove we found and restored. It has a six gallon water tank on the right side we use for hot water.
[Linked Image]

We carry water into the cabin but we are blessed with a great well that if left alone is artisian to approximately four feet AGL. We have a working hand pump for power failures. [Linked Image]
We have a small solar/wind station we will move closer to the cabin this summer and use it for things like a radio for my wife, cell phone and laptop charging.
[Linked Image][img]http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww211/compassrosefarms/DSC_6076.jpg[/img][img]http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww211/compassrosefarms/DSC_6077.jpg[/img]

We like the quiet of off grid living. There and no fans running, furnaces blowing air around or refrigerators humming away. Living a little more simple than most is enjoyable but is not the easy life. There is water to carry, wood to cut, split and carry. Th stoves require stoking once in the middle of really cold nights, lamps to keep clean, trimmed and filled, and the list goes on forever.

Whenever we have someone over and they sit in the kitchen over coffee perked on the wood stove and some treat that has emerged from the oven they fall in love with the place. If it is cold and stormy and we are sitting in the living room it is often hard to get them to go home!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
GB1

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice palce. It'll be even nicer once the cabin is finished.

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That assumes my wife will ever call it finished! grin

It is finished inside, the back has all new siding and all that is left on the outside is paint and that will happen this summer. Then next year there will be an addition on the back for the bedroom and bath.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'd be interested in your wind turbine setup. Any more info on that thing?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wish I had the energy to live like that, but is it more work than I can any longer handle, DAMMIT.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

IC B2

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hunt_ak

I cannot lay my hands on that information right now but I will get back to you.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
That's a great lifestyle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great job Scott. Our story is very similar except we renovated an old farmhouse and we have a gas well which keeps our solar and other power needs at a minimum.

It's a different way of living for sure but we love the feeling that we're not beset to anyone and like you mentioned, it's very quiet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We did it for 13 years ,propane fridge ,stove ,lights,and aventually instant hot water... supplamentary lite oil lamps ,candles.
had surface well that i dug out put in 3 cisterns ,1 covered 2 open for pumps,10 x20 side pocket filled with drain rock,covered with filter fabric ,than top soil,lawn ..2000 gals of storage..later on 15000 gal tank up hill for gravity system,with 5000 gal reserve for fire fighting,[never had to use it ]
wood heat in basement ,other part of basement seperated by concreat wall and steel fire door ,secure storage and cold room for veggies excetra ,hang deer ..
wood storage out side basement door 2000 gal diesel tank from service station with door cut in end. burried under 4 feet of soil for side yard. ineficent stove 10 cord firewood a year ,,heatalator fireplace on main floor.
bedrooms up in attic trusses.12in 12 pitch roof never had to shovel .
deer WT ,muly,elk ,bear in front and back yard,
MISS THAT PLACE< but not all the wood cutting.

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rrroae
Great job Scott. Our story is very similar except we renovated an old farmhouse and we have a gas well which keeps our solar and other power needs at a minimum.

It's a different way of living for sure but we love the feeling that we're not beset to anyone and like you mentioned, it's very quiet.

I love the gas well thing! That is a great blessing.

Pictures of your place?

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Hi Scott looks great. The house I grew up in had a pitch pump bolted to the drain board in the kitchen. Our heat was woodstove in living room and a cook stove in the kitchen. We had two bdr and a closed-in back porch that where we took our baths in a #3 wash tube hot water came pot at a time off the stove. We never did get the indoor toilet the outhouse was not much fun in the winter.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'd like to hear what Scott says as well.

From what I know, the problem with the smaller wind turbines is they produce so little energy unless you have strong sustained winds.

From my research, these looked like the best ones.

http://store.solar-electric.com/tl500wawige.html

Here's a forum dedicated to solar that has a wind turbine section.

http://www.wind-sun.com/ForumVB/forumdisplay.php?f=13

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by T LEE
Wish I had the energy to live like that, but is it more work than I can any longer handle, DAMMIT.

Me too some days but it is like going swimming. You may not have the energy when you are standing on the beach but it is a whole different story when you are treading water and the sharks are circling right after the boat sunk! eek

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Scott F

Pictures of your place?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._People_thought_I_was_crazy_#Post1770137

S
Scott F Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rrroae

Pictures of your place?

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._People_thought_I_was_crazy_#Post1770137

You are an artist and have created a masterpiece. Well done. The "before" pictures are very much like the ones from our cottage project. It helps to be a visionary! Bev (Scott F's wife)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you for the compliments.

If you have more before and after pictures of your cabin, I'd really enjoy seeing them. I love seeing a good reclamation project.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by T LEE

Me too some days but it is like going swimming. You may not have the energy when you are standing on the beach but it is a whole different story when you are treading water and the sharks are circling right after the boat sunk! eek

Yep it is real hard to remember you are there to drain the swamp when you are up to your azz in Alligators!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Pictures of your place?

Scott, do you have a gas well also?

rrroae, what is the configuration of your gas well? How did you go about drilling it? Depth? Surface infrastructure?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
looks like a great setup you have there Scott!
I've had a lot of interest in RE over the years, and started a subscription to HomePower magazine a couple of years ago. They cover everything about this stuff a-z. I'm hoping to get our second home in Canada completely self-sufficient with a combo of wind, PV, and hydropower.
Anyone interested in the off-grid or systems to suppplement your on-grid power should read this magazine. It also covers everything you need to know about solar water heating systems for domestic and heating, as well as wood. You have to wade through some rather 'green' and liberal leaning opinions and editorials in places, (some of it laughable) but for a techonolgy reference, it's invaluable.
www.homepower.com
Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

rrroae, what is the configuration of your gas well? How did you go about drilling it? Depth? Surface infrastructure?

Not sure of all that. Bought a piece of land that had a gas well and that usually means free gas as well as a royalty check. The equipment itself doesn't have a very big footprint. The big stuff is only there when drilling.

Not uncommon in Pa, western NY, Oh or WV to have a tract of land with a gas well on it. Usually doesn't add that much more to the price unless there are big royalties. Around these parts a well might add $15k to the price of land.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 48 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,338
Posts18,526,811
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.