Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I don't remember where, but somewhere I recall reading advice against wearing black outergarments while hunting. I don't remember the reasoning behind this, anyone else hear of this or have a good reason why? I try to stick to the fundamentals an old (Old enough to have lived when killing something was litterally putting food on his family's table, no game=no meat) hunter taught me. Hunt the wind, use the shadows, stay quiet stay still... And so on. Camo wasn't even in their minds when he was in his prime. Besides the fact that it may not break up your outline too well why not use say a black fleece coat or pants, especially if hunting from a tree or stationary on the ground?

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I wouldn't wear black for Tutkey hunting.....

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The area I deer hunt in Vermont --Deer and bear season runs together. Wearing black would be a NO NO for that reason. Movement will give you away quicker than colors to a deer. Humans are the problem. IMHO. Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FWIW the video that came with my Double Bull Matrix blind recommends that you wear black inside the blind to blend with the walls......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Yeah, I read something like that quite a few years ago. I don't remember that a reason was given, just a statement made in the article.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Where I live - an area with a huge population of hunt-able black-bears - I couldn't imagine anything to do with hunting more likely to be life-shortening - than wearing black to hunt in. Coupled with the fact the lion's share of black bears around here are shot within an hour of sunrise or sunset, when the light is very poor.

Well, I guess I could IMAGINE a fellow draped in a deer cape with the antlers on his head trying to grunt-in a buck...

...but other than other-worldly stupidity... whistle

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wearing any one solid color makes you appear as a blob from a distance (at least to humans) even most camo patterns make you appear as blob. To not look like a blob wear one color/pattern on the top and another on the bottom.

Black shirts work well in blinds because you blend into the shadow background.

Take some clothes and a buddy and go out to the woods/pasture or whatever you can get a distance away and have the other person put on some different stuff. It's amazing how quick you can pick out some other people just based on the "blob" look and I'm colorblind. The one thing I personally can't pick up real quick is the open type of camo patterns like predator or ASAT. Of course I'm not a deer/bear/turkey either.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What BCBrian said sure is going to make me think about what I'm wearing on the way TOO my blind!........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, no bears bear hunting here in central Al, but I totally get what you are saying for areas with bears... now plenty of beer huntin' goes on round these parts.

I also have heard to wear black when hunting inside of a blind, even saw a demo of a hunter in full camo vs one in all black - big difference.

But for deer hunting in a non bear area, any other reasons not to?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
My nephew and I called in a bear one evening, sow with cubs, and she was pretty lit up. He was wearing all black...I have no idea if that had anything to do with it or not...but she gave us a real good scare....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I don't remember where, but somewhere I recall reading advice against wearing black outergarments while hunting. I don't remember the reasoning behind this, anyone else hear of this or have a good reason why? I try to stick to the fundamentals an old (Old enough to have lived when killing something was litterally putting food on his family's table, no game=no meat) hunter taught me. Hunt the wind, use the shadows, stay quiet stay still... And so on. Camo wasn't even in their minds when he was in his prime. Besides the fact that it may not break up your outline too well why not use say a black fleece coat or pants, especially if hunting from a tree or stationary on the ground?

So it looks like the Ninja Suit you had for Christmas is out! grin

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I don't remember where, but somewhere I recall reading advice against wearing black outergarments while hunting. I don't remember the reasoning behind this, anyone else hear of this or have a good reason why?

You will be arrested by Homeland Security...........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have always thought of black as a color not usually found in the natural landscape. When hunting rabbits in briars you could always spot the "black" of a rabbits eye as it was darker than anything else in the brush and stood out.

444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 86thecat
I have always thought of black as a color not usually found in the natural landscape. When hunting rabbits in briars you could always spot the "black" of a rabbits eye as it was darker than anything else in the brush and stood out.

if deer are color blind does this really matter?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Color blind...not totally...but they key in on contrast and movement...IIRC

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I generally wear a black top while hunting bruins and while in the blind for lopes.

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 01/17/10.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I will make your butt look big.....

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And all this time I thought it was "slimming"... blush

Ingwe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by taz4570
I will make your butt look big.....

Man I sure don't want you anywhere near my butt!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
One reason I can think of is I seem to remember reading that mosquitos are attracted to black. If that is the case encourage your hunting partners to wear it and enjoy a bu free hunt:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (10ring1, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 53 invisible), 3,535 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,505
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.