-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm obliged for the explanation . I wouldn't count on any of the newer diesals to run . Even Cummins has computer controlled injection pump since '98 .

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
GB1

M
Mackie Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a Massey Fergeson 35 Deluxe tractor made in '63-64 and that is the only vehicle I have that would run assuming it was not running at the time of the EMP blast. I would never take any glee should such a horrible thing happening. Nor am I ready to store 2 years of food away....or anything like that. Merely accepting the possibilty of such an occurance will put me ahead of most and that is a bit more time to react.

We have Morgan horses and I get pinged on from time to time becasue I will only have mares. Should I need another Morgan for work or transportation, I need only to barder for a breeding to get another.

I received a copy of "The Road" from my son due the Father's singular devotion to his son in this book. I was moved that my son feels and knows I am singularly devoted to him...;the book was too dark for me and when he asked if I wanted to see the movie..I declined....too dark. He went to see the movie and commented I would not have liked it and some left the threater in varying intervals, he guessed that it was just too dark to endure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mackie
I have a Massey Fergeson 35 Deluxe tractor made in '63-64 and that is the only vehicle I have that would run assuming it was not running at the time of the EMP blast. I would never take any glee should such a horrible thing happening. Nor am I ready to store 2 years of food away....or anything like that. Merely accepting the possibilty of such an occurance will put me ahead of most and that is a bit more time to react.

We have Morgan horses and I get pinged on from time to time becasue I will only have mares. Should I need another Morgan for work or transportation, I need only to barder for a breeding to get another.

I received a copy of "The Road" from my son due the Father's singular devotion to his son in this book. I was moved that my son feels and knows I am singularly devoted to him...;the book was too dark for me and when he asked if I wanted to see the movie..I declined....too dark. He went to see the movie and commented I would not have liked it and some left the threater in varying intervals, he guessed that it was just too dark to endure.

It's just a story. A fairy tale. Some folks have cloudy minds. Lots of authors like to share the misery...not the wealth though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I'm obliged for the explanation . I wouldn't count on any of the newer diesals to run . Even Cummins has computer controlled injection pump since '98 .

I wouldn't count on anything to run...or to not run. Hence my words to the affect of nobody knowing. Yunno? Anyhoo, coventional wisdom is that most pre75 gas engines would probably function along with most "older" diesels. The pre99 Dodges you reference are the newest diesels I know of (save for some way-out stuff, foreign manufacture) that most think would still function.

The best info I have is that a conventional nuke would knock out some stuff, but not widespread. To knock us completely out, and by completely, I mean civilian-wise, the bomb would have to be specifically EMP. It would also have to be detonated above the continent, mid-way. I will add that in my own limited knowledge, I don't think one would do it. There would have to be several sequenced over a period of time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crowrifle
given our history.....I think in the US some form of self government, beginning at the local level will establish itself, maybe first in the form of regulators who execute those who prey on the rest of the population.

Barak just got a woodie on that one....

yeah, Barak would get to see how long people put up with that anarchy thing

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
EMP:

When a nuke goes off, one effect is like setting off a monstrously high powered radio transmitter simultaneously transmitting on all frequencies. The resulting wave induces currents in every piece of metal it encounters. In very many cases, the voltages are high enough to pop solid state components.

The original Bikini H bomb test took out the traffic lights in Honolulu, and those were a way old fashioned relay based system.

Some may remember many years ago a Russian defector flew a MIG-25 (right number?) to Japan. When we dissected it, we found that the electronics were all miniature vacuum tubes. Vacuum tubes are more resistant to EMP, and that may have been one reason to use them, even though solid state stuff was available by then.

In case of EMP attack, your phone, cell phone, car and internet connection probably won't work and you won't have electricity.

Be not weary in well doing.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
If electricity was out in my state of Minnesota, anybody without a wood stove would be SOL.
Tough to grow radishes in January as well!
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by denton
EMP:

When a nuke goes off, one effect is like setting off a monstrously high powered radio transmitter simultaneously transmitting on all frequencies. The resulting wave induces currents in every piece of metal it encounters. In very many cases, the voltages are high enough to pop solid state components.

The original Bikini H bomb test took out the traffic lights in Honolulu, and those were a way old fashioned relay based system.

Some may remember many years ago a Russian defector flew a MIG-25 (right number?) to Japan. When we dissected it, we found that the electronics were all miniature vacuum tubes. Vacuum tubes are more resistant to EMP, and that may have been one reason to use them, even though solid state stuff was available by then.

In case of EMP attack, your phone, cell phone, car and internet connection probably won't work and you won't have electricity.

Faraday Cage. Place your equipment inside an aluminum foil lined grounded box, and keep your vehicles grounded, or inside of a metal building that's grounded, and theoretically they should still work and/or run. Theoretically.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Place your equipment inside an aluminum foil lined grounded box, and keep your vehicles grounded, or inside of a metal building that's grounded, and theoretically they should still work and/or run.

Yup. Be sure the aluminum foil box is well grounded and make sure all parts of the metal building are electrically bonded and well grounded. Keeps a world of hurt at bay.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not one single deer much less any bucks. I guess they were just as lazy as I am.

I sure hope we don't have to do this whole "back to Nature" thing on a World Wide or Country wide scale. If it happens on a country wide scale we'd better hope it spreads fast because I, for one, do not trust the Chinese or anyone else for that matter except maybe the Canadians to act in our best interest. I think it would be used as an opportunity to forever squelch America. These scenarios are even more, if not the most reason, we need people of character, with backbone and integrity leading our country. I am having trouble picking many from the choices we have now. Maybe by November, leadership will emerge.

One time the kids on my baseball team asked me, "Coach, who are going to be the team captains?" I looked at them for a minute and told them that It was my belief that in any situation, when the time came, natural leadership would emerge. Whether the leader would lead for good or for ill was all that remained to be seen. They didn't ask any more but eventually two of them did rise to the challenge and the team accepted their leadership. The team was successful and both of those young men are very successful and contributing members of society right now as well.

What probably pisses me off more than anything else about these "End of the World", "When the SHTF" things is that when it really happens, our elected "Leaders" won't be there with us. They will be safe and secure and ready to take the reigns (and the credit for quelling the Zombie rebellion) once more as soon as things calm down. If I'm standing in the middle of a bunch of carnage covered in Zombie Guts, I'm not going to be much in the mood for some politicians BS!

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For what it's worth...a lot of stuff has been hardened to resist EMP. This was first realized during nuke tests way back.
Most of the doomsayers don't give humanity credit for ingenuity.
It's the same mistake Malthus made.
Makes fun movies though. Lots of folks think they are up for the Jeremiah Johnson thing. Good luck!
Bill

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And folks kid us about wearing aluminum foil hats. Hmmpphh, now you see why we do it.

Ain't no EMP gonna fry my brain, that's for sure!

(I think the 60's already did that, anyway...)

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wikipedia actually has a pretty informative article on EMP.

Keep in mind that there's a lot of 'junk' science about EMP out there, very little of it based on anything other than supposition. The actual observed EMP effects in nuclear tests is nothing close to what many EMP fearing doomsayers claim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse#Practical_considerations_for_nuclear_EMP

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
M
Mackie Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
You are right about the people who think they are up for the Jeremiah Johnson stuff...in years passsed...one spent the better part of the day gathering or hunting for present time food and putting away enough to get thru the winter and spring to start planting or awaiting Mother Nature to make food available. Life would be very hard and life expectancy would drop off according.

Necessity is the Mother of Ingenuity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Must be a popular book. I just checked the county library catalog for "One Second After". They have five copies, all checked out.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those of us who live well away from the major population centers will just watch the whole thing play out on TV, enjoying a nice cold beer, not worrying about much. And if you city slickers decide to come to my neck of the woods to try and take what us country folk have, then you'll learn why the best riflemen in the US Military are from the back woods of places like Arkansas.

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, you probably won't be watching on TV. Consumer grade electronics are some of the worst shielded devices made. smile

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the revolution will not be televised

TV stations go down when the grid goes down....so does your cable company....and your TV.

you can watch DVDs with your generator though....I'd suggest Red Dawn wink

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Read "Salt, a World History"
link

for some insight into how complicated the food chain we have some to rely on is.

Just making a ham and cheese sandwich from scratch is amazing.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
WAHOO - " Makes fun movies though. Lots of folks think they are up for the Jeremiah Johnson thing. Good luck!"

Yep, most of the "Bug out to the mountains and outdo Jerimiah Johnson" crowd have spent very little time in the mountains or forests, especially without all the modern day support equipment. Nor have they ever read much about just how incredibly difficult it was in "the old days" to stay alive under those circumstances. Afterall, Lewis & Clark and company damn near starved to death when they were in "the land of plenty" 'cause the "land of plenty" didn't exist... and they were experienced and seasoned outdoorsmen, with modern at-that-time equipment.

Today, there is far less remote land and opportunity to survive "out there," than there was then. Hostile indians, then: hostile everyone today under a TEOTWAKI/SHTF situation. wink

"Bugger Outers" oughta do a bunch of reading about the fur trappers, the western immigrants, the eastern longhunters & Daniel Boone, and the Donner Party. Or Alfred E. Packer. wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1OntarioJim, 204guy, 68 invisible), 2,574 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,813
Posts18,477,617
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.