Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've killed two whitetails with the 225 gr Accubond out of my 338 RUM at 3050 fps. Meat damage is similar to my 30-06. I wouldn't hesitate to use it for any and all North American game. It kills elk well, too.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've got about half a box of the Nosler Accubonds and that is what I plan to use. Plan to shoot it quite a bit between now and next season, but I'm saving the Accubonds for actual hunting.

Hoping to see some Bang flops!!

Where I hunt it's so thick you never know once they go out of sight. I think it's safe to say dead deer can run along ways.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used the now discontinued speer 275 gr. semi spitzer. Knock's the snot out of 'em. You can eat right up to the bullet hole too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
running a 338RUM with 185gr TSXs I have just started loading some TTSX in the 160gr. From the first tries it is going to shoot these very well also. Should be a great deer round. The 185s have proven to be great round for this gun also. HAPPY HUNTING

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I shot a Colorado mulie with my .338WM loaded with 275 gr. Speer RN, hit him just behind the ear and virtualy lobotomized him. Needless to say no meat damage, he dropped like a rock.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If out west, where I would encounter a Trophy Mulie, while hunting Elk, or Moose, I can see shooting a deer with this gun;Other than that, there is no reason whatsoever to use a .338 to shoot deer with; it's absurd; WHY? How BAD to you need to kill it? it's just stupid redneck mentality; I get beat on by my parteners for shooting them with my 30-06; Why would you need a .338 for deer???? pretty stupid, if you ask me, not to mention the cost; Just plain assinine;

Mike Walker
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mw0248
If out west, where I would encounter a Trophy Mulie, while hunting Elk, or Moose, I can see shooting a deer with this gun;Other than that, there is no reason whatsoever to use a .338 to shoot deer with; it's absurd; WHY? How BAD to you need to kill it? it's just stupid redneck mentality; I get beat on by my parteners for shooting them with my 30-06; Why would you need a .338 for deer???? pretty stupid, if you ask me, not to mention the cost; Just plain assinine;

That's about all I'll hunt with anymore for any game due to its versatility. Some of us are not nearly as cosmopolitan as you and your buddies and have to use our .338's in the rare chance that we crawl out from under a rock and get to hunt. I'm just too much of an ignorant redneck to know any better. I even had to sell the singlewide and the IROC to buy bullets this year but what choice do I have. If however, you and your "parteners" would like to show me the way to civility and enlightenment via the '06 I would be happy to RSVP in the affirmative an invitation to your hunting camp. I promise I'll make the family stay in the truck we're living in as they are too stupid and assinine to be around polite company. I'll even wear my clean NASCAR shirt I reserve for church.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gee I wonder what he would think of me hunting with my 378 and 300 gain bullets. I've shot probably 12 deer with it and it does a real fine job. You see where we are in Canada I can hunt for Elk,bear,moose,deer all at the same time. So do I pack 2 rifles or pack the one that will terminate them all? I also hunt with the 338/378 the rest of the time. Yes I do wear long sleeve shirts occasionally and take the ball cap off.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I think I'm going to kill a deer with my .338 win mag this season just to twist your panties up again.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hey, remind in a day or two to look for 338 brass. A buddy used to shoot one back at the 'Point and I think there is a box or two of WW brass stashed.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm thinking both the .375H&H, and the 45-70. That should really get the twisting going.
Then I'll post distances and start a real sh%t storm!
R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Hey, remind in a day or two to look for 338 brass.

Hey, in a day or two, look for that .338 brass. crazy

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hawk1: You are of course completely incorrect and off base on your ill advised and poorly conceived inference that - "The amount of meat damage depends more on the bullet than caliber" - when in actuallity the amount of "meat damage" depends MORE on where a bullet travels once it strikes a Deer!
A proper shot placement on Deer, will waste virtually NO meat - unless one considers lung and heart as edible meat!
I have seen many Deer shot "properly" with all manner of bullets including various bullets from 338's where-in NO MEAT was damaged!
Shot placement is the KEY - not the "bullet" like you infer!
Hawk1, if you place your bullet properly on a Deer no loss of edible meat will occurr!
I know this for fact because I have been doing this for going on 51 years this fall!
A centerfire bullet, no matter the brand or the caliber shot into a Deers shoulders OR backbone WILL destroy edible meat OFTEN, LOTS OF IT!
A centerfire bullet, no matter the brand OR the caliber (within the parameters of common useage!) shot into the heart/lung area of a Deer will destroy virtually no edible meat!
Take if from someone who has Hunted throughout the west, Alaska and some in Canada, proper bullet placement is the KEY to humane and Sportsmanlike (no "damaged" or wasted meat!) harvesting of Deer!
NOT the bullet!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So...what do you hunt and where and what do you use for a caliber?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I had a .338 for about 20 years and used it for the 1st 10 as my go to rifle. I don't believe that any other rifle will quite feel the same as that one. I was kind of bonded to it. With it I took about 2 deer a year and my only elk. I experimented with a bunch of different bullets....225 Barnes X, 230 Winchester Fail Safe, 250 Nosler Partition, 250 Speer Grand Slam, And the 250 Sierra boattail. It is certainly not needed for deer but I had to use it on something so that is what got the most business from it. It will tear a good sized hole but it never will blood shoot the amount of meat that can happen with smaller, lighter, faster bullets. I enjoyed it a lot and didn't worry about those who wondered why I felt I had to shoot a "cannon" for a deer. Surprisingly, the most accurate bullet was the most complex...the 230 Fail Safe. I still have a few of those around, even though I no longer own that rifle.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I like the 338 for deer.

I used mine for a few years getting used to the new rifle..

I have way too many rifles to use just one for deer.

I still do if I am elk hunting in the same season..

I have 180, 200, 210 and 225 grain loads worked up. I just ended up using my elk load. I prefer it with bearclaws or partitions as it gets a little messy if you double shoulder a doe with a Hornady [I was about 6 inches off, that's my story and I am sticking to it.]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Hawk1: You are of course completely incorrect and off base on your ill advised and poorly conceived inference that - "The amount of meat damage depends more on the bullet than caliber" - when in actuallity the amount of "meat damage" depends MORE on where a bullet travels once it strikes a Deer!
A proper shot placement on Deer, will waste virtually NO meat - unless one considers lung and heart as edible meat!
I have seen many Deer shot "properly" with all manner of bullets including various bullets from 338's where-in NO MEAT was damaged!
Shot placement is the KEY - not the "bullet" like you infer!
Hawk1, if you place your bullet properly on a Deer no loss of edible meat will occurr!
I know this for fact because I have been doing this for going on 51 years this fall!
A centerfire bullet, no matter the brand or the caliber shot into a Deers shoulders OR backbone WILL destroy edible meat OFTEN, LOTS OF IT!
A centerfire bullet, no matter the brand OR the caliber (within the parameters of common useage!) shot into the heart/lung area of a Deer will destroy virtually no edible meat!
Take if from someone who has Hunted throughout the west, Alaska and some in Canada, proper bullet placement is the KEY to humane and Sportsmanlike (no "damaged" or wasted meat!) harvesting of Deer!
NOT the bullet!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

+1

This fella knows what he's talking about.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sue me.

I eat hearts.....and shoot through shoulders at times.

And certain bullets can and have blown up more heart than the other, unless you shoot PD's with Partitions expecting the same result as a varmint BT?

Your ability not to follow surprises me none.

Signed,

A poor sportsman.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Well, three reasons I can think of:

1).....you want to....
2) That is what you own and hunt with;and
3) (Drum Roll)....it's what you have in your hands when you see a deer.... grin

Plus if a guy were hunting deer on Kodiak,or the ABC Islands of SE Alaska,I would think he's a pretty bright bulb for carrying a 338 Win Mag..... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

One of the great things about the Internet is that at least once on any given thread you'll hear from a real "expert" like
mw0248 who has zero experience with whatever is being discussed, yet offers a very firm and usually derogatory opinion.

It's hard to get that level of entertaining conversation outside of a bar on Saturday night.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (35, anothergun, ATC, Angus1895, 38HBWC, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,027
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.