Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wow... this is going to cause a fecal matter storm of Bibilical proportions whistle

U.S. Military Weapons Inscribed With Secret 'Jesus' Bible Codes
Pentagon Supplier for Rifle Sights Says It Has 'Always' Added New

Testament References
By JOSEPH RHEE, TAHMAN BRADLEY and BRIAN ROSS
Jan. 18, 2010 �

Coded references to New Testament Bible passages about Jesus Christ are inscribed on high-powered rifle sights provided to the United States military by a Michigan company, an ABC News investigation has found.

The sights are used by U.S. troops in Iraq and Afghanistan and in the training of Iraqi and Afghan soldiers. The maker of the sights, Trijicon, has a $660 million multi-year contract to provide up to 800,000 sights to the Marine Corps, and additional contracts to provide sights to the U.S. Army.

U.S. military rules specifically prohibit the proselytizing of any religion in Iraq or Afghanistan and were drawn up in order to prevent criticism that the U.S. was embarked on a religious "Crusade" in its war against al Qaeda and Iraqi insurgents.

One of the citations on the gun sights, 2COR4:6, is an apparent reference to Second Corinthians 4:6 of the New Testament, which reads: "For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."

Other references include citations from the books of Revelation, Matthew and John dealing with Jesus as "the light of the world." John 8:12, referred to on the gun sights as JN8:12, reads, "Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

Trijicon confirmed to ABCNews.com that it adds the biblical codes to the sights sold to the U.S. military. Tom Munson, director of sales and marketing for Trijicon, which is based in Wixom, Michigan, said the inscriptions "have always been there" and said there was nothing wrong or illegal with adding them. Munson said the issue was being raised by a group that is "not Christian." The company has said the practice began under its founder, Glyn Bindon, a devout Christian from South Africa who was killed in a 2003 plane crash.

'It violates the Constitution'
The company's vision is described on its Web site: "Guided by our values, we endeavor to have our products used wherever precision aiming solutions are required to protect individual freedom."
"We believe that America is great when its people are good," says the Web site. "This goodness has been based on Biblical standards throughout our history, and we will strive to follow those morals."

Spokespeople for the U.S. Army and the Marine Corps both said their services were unaware of the biblical markings. They said officials were discussing what steps, if any, to take in the wake of the ABCNews.com report. It is not known how many Trijicon sights are currently in use by the U.S. military.

The biblical references appear in the same type font and size as the model numbers on the company's Advanced Combat Optical Guides, called the ACOG.

A photo on a Department of Defense Web site shows Iraqi soldiers being trained by U.S. troops with a rifle equipped with the bible-coded sights.

"It's wrong, it violates the Constitution, it violates a number of federal laws," said Michael "Mikey" Weinstein of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, an advocacy group that seeks to preserve the separation of church and state in the military.

'Firearms of Jesus Christ'
"It allows the Mujahedeen, the Taliban, al Qaeda and the insurrectionists and jihadists to claim they're being shot by Jesus rifles," he said.
Weinstein, an attorney and former Air Force officer, said many members of his group who currently serve in the military have complained about the markings on the sights. He also claims they've told him that commanders have referred to weapons with the sights as "spiritually transformed firearm[s] of Jesus Christ."

He said coded biblical inscriptions play into the hands of "those who are calling this a Crusade."

According to a government contracting watchdog group, fedspending.org, Trijicon had more than $100 million in government contracts in fiscal year 2008. The Michigan company won a $33 million Pentagon contract in July, 2009 for a new machine gun optic, according to Defense Industry Daily. The company's earnings from the U.S. military jumped significantly after 2005, when it won a $660 million long-term contract to supply the Marine Corps with sights.

"This is probably the best example of violation of the separation of church and state in this country," said Weinstein. "It's literally pushing fundamentalist Christianity at the point of a gun against the people that we're fighting. We're emboldening an enemy."

Copyright � 2010 ABC News Internet Ventures

Please don't feed the trolls!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably lose the mil contract over it.
They could have been subtler.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have no problem with it being there. Why it's news is beyond me - particularly when compared to what else has happened in the last 2 weeks.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shreck

Let's hope they don't lose the contract.

Personally, I think Trijicon makes the best 3 dot night sights available, I won't have anything else on my handguns.

I don't have any personal experience with the ACOG, but I hear it is outstanding, as well.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Online Shocked
Campfire Regular
T
Good, maybe they'll have an overstock sale. JK

Despite my user name, no I am not from Texas.........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anything to help the enemy, I guess.

This plays right into Bin Ladens hands. Some people are looking forward to Armageddon, anyway.

Might review the Sepoy mutiny in India when the British ALLIES mutinied based solely on the rumor that the cartridges were greased with pork fat.

Seems like a reasonable parallel.

As a business decision, they should furnish the equipment as specified, without the editorial comment, or let someone else compete to make the product.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shreck

My guess too..The issue of religion is a powder keg in Afghanistan, so this seems beyond dumb...

Not too bothered what the bad guys think over there, but its the sort of stupid thing that get blown out of all proportion and is used as propaganda by the enemy to sway otherwise neutral or friendly locals to the Taliban cause..

Given these sights are also used by the Afghan National Army, I wonder what can of worms its openning there?? if you think its not important remember the Indian Mutiny in the 1850's which in part was caused by the Sepoys believing the cartridges the British issued were greased with pig and cow fat..

Last edited by Pete E; 01/18/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How long before I am not allowed to have "RC" on my dog tags?

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by teal

Completely different issue!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed,Pete.

Although I don't (personally) have a problem with Trijicon's actions,I can certainly see how this could be a problem for us over there.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

2ndwind Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
"....said Weinstein. "It's literally pushing fundamentalist Christianity at the point of a gun ..."

I always wonder what the term, "fundamentalist Christianity" means to people that are upset over some contentious issue. I will be the first to say there are some pretty obnoxious behaviors done "in the name of Christianity".... but I also believe than "the opposition" views anyone who doesn't believes that, all world religions <or no religion> are just as valid and in most cases far more "progressive" and "inclusive" than those nasty fundamentalists are...

My position is that someone who believes in everything really believes in nothing... I have Trijicons on a Kahr and a Dan Wesson 1911... just decided I need a set for the FNP 9.

The ACOG is too rich for my blood at the moment... but if they do lose their contract over this and need to sell some of those off at a significantly reduced price... I'd likely step up and give them some more of my business...

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pete E

Completely different issue!

If people are pizzed they got shot with a bible verse on the scope - how long before they are pizzed they got shot by someone with a religion on their chest?

Ain't saying it's right or wrong - but I've seen enough of lefty politics and can generally guess where it will head.

Me

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The funny thing is that the separation of church and state law is suppose to keep the state out of the church not the other way around.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The point is, you're not supposed to put RC on THEIR dog tags!

How about a nice advert for Halliburton, or Jimmy Swaggart Institute on your issue MRAP?

The US bought those sights according to Mil-Spec, not to include any editorial content.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The people that don't like it don't need to use them let them go back to iron sights and ghost rings. Whoops ghost rings may be spiritual?

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see no problem with them using whatever numbering scheme they want to track production lots. grin

Honestly, if they've always done it, it's been there since before the contract was awarded. I say much ado about nothing.

I'd like to see where in the Constitution it says no religious references are allowed....

Think about it, the Constitution must allow all religious references. To do otherwise, like prohibit all references, would be to establish a single religion, Atheism.

Everyone who's ever read the Bill of Rights knows it says "shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." It doesn't say seperation of church and state anywhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RugerM77270
The funny thing is that the separation of church and state law is suppose to keep the state out of the church not the other way around.

That it is!

James Elroy Flecker

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
"It's literally pushing fundamentalist Christianity at the point of a gun ..."

And yet it was so subtle, that no one had a clue it was on there.

"Spokespeople for the U.S. Army and the Marine Corps both said their services were unaware of the biblical markings.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtmisfit
I see no problem with them using whatever numbering scheme they want to track production lots. grin

Honestly, if they've always done it, it's been there since before the contract was awarded. I say much ado about nothing.

I'd like to see where in the Constitution it says no religious references are allowed....

Think about it, the Constitution must allow all religious references. To do otherwise, like prohibit all references, would be to establish a single religion, Atheism.

Everyone who's ever read the Bill of Rights knows it says "shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." It doesn't say seperation of church and state anywhere.

To be honest, that aspect of this saga is a none-issue. If these sights were only for use in the US by a peace time army, I'd be sitting having a chuckle at the stupidity of it all.

However thats not the context of how these sights will be used and any bad feeling generated amung the locals, the police and the ANA could end up costing American (and British) lives...

Its for the exactly the same reasons that British Commanders banned our troops wearing "offensive" T-Shirts in theatre..
It only takes one local to feel insulted and keep quite about an EOD or ambush location, and it will cost lives...

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (222Sako, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 22magnut, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 13,988 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,133
Posts18,542,421
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.