-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When the Gander Mountain poor boy Ti's were on sale, they were tough to beat, for sure. At $600 or less, a bargain.

I've got 2 and have no complaints - they both shoot really well - much better than I expected out of the light tubes.

I could see the Ti stock/ Youth ADL working real well...I'd like the beef in the barrel. My only question might be muzzle blast with the shorter tube. I've gotten where I dislike muzzle blast more than recoil.

How is muzzle blast in the 308/7-08/243 in y'all's 20 inchers?

DJ

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DJ- good point, with my 308 it was just fine for the most part but if I recall right the 130's with the ball powders I tried I noticed a bit.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
well...if you choose to rebarrel that gun keep me in the loop as i'd take the Roberts tube..

Dober

I been circling around since last summer trying to zero in on the right rifle for me, and I think this may be it. If for some reason I can't get along with it, or I need something worse, I will shoot you a PM first.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thx, am thinking you'd really be better off with a 7/08 or something like that...<g>

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DJ- good point, with my 308 it was just fine for the most part but if I recall right the 130's with the ball powders I tried I noticed a bit.

Dober

Much obliged, Dober. Have had a few short barrels ring my ears over the years...In fact, they're still ringing...Can y'all hear that???? Grin...

DJ

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
txduckman,

CAS and I built exactly what your posting about for a youth hunt contest.

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've got a 7-08 Gander special and 2 of the Cabelas mountain guides, 1 in 22-250 the other in 243 AI. While I love the guns and they shoot great, if Gander starts them out at $850 or so, I'd go Kimber Montana all the way.

But when they were $5-600 they were the best "poor mans" mountain rifle going. Of course next year they'll be even higher so this will seem like a bargain...

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I was nearly positive that the 7mm/08 was going to be it. Had a Howa carbine and an SPS youth chambered that way last summer, but at the last minute they just didn't seem "right".

I think it was something to do with the .308 was better or something?

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Dober,

Any idea what the weight difference is between a standard contour at 20" vs. MR at 22"...

Eric

I do Blue, I'll get my numbers to you tomorrow. I'm still at the office and dont' have them handy.

Love that perro!

Dober

Dober, have you weighed those barrels yet?--I'm interested. I suppose I could tear down my early 90's mountain rifle to the barreled action and weigh it, but I don't have any 20 inch barreled M700's.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by txduckman07
Seems like somebody recently was talking about buying a 700 ADL youth model (20" bbl'd action) and slapping it in a Ti stock to make a sort of working-man's mtn rifle. Has anybody else done this? If so, post up some pics.

I think I may try to find one in 243 Win as coyote calling is quickly becoming my new favorite off-season hobby. Sort of a dual purpose deer/walking varminter. Here's what the blueprint would read:
-700 ADL Youth model in 243
-Ti stock (from stocky's) Olive w/ black webbing
-Talley LW rings
-VXII 2-7 (or 6x36 FXIII)
-Adjust X-mark trigger to manageable weight

If not, I could always find a Mtn. Guide in 243 or 22-250, but they're getting even harder to come by

"The Poor Man's Mtn Rifle" (That's exactly what I call it, too)

--M700 standard contour barreled action-22 inch bbl (keeps muzzle blast more tolerable in standard cartridges, still gets that bit of extra velocity)

--M700 ADL tupperware stock. Lightened and strengthened with aluminum arrow shafts and accraglass. Flip-flop recoil pad.

--Aluminum triggerguard, or even lighter is the Remmy plastic/synthetic triggerguard.

--Leupy fixed or 2x7 variable.

--Talleys, or Weaver bases and Weaver rings, or Weaver bases and Burris Zee rings.

The flip-flop recoil pad saves about 4-5 ozs over a decellerator pad. I've removed 4+ ozes from the tupperware stock, and I know I can take that further and save more weight while making the tupperware stock even stronger.

The flip-flop recoil pad takes a bunch of weight off the rear, the standard contour bbl keeps weight up front, the rifle balances and points MUCH better.

Bought an old M700 ADL in 270 for $325 a couple years ago. Got $35 in the stock plus $25 in accraglass. $3 in the recoil pad. 9-10 hours in messing with the stock, fitting the flip flop pad, bedding the action, painting it.

Weighs the same as my early 90's M700 ADL SS Mtn rifle with the synthetic tupperware stock.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (2alphas2, 2500HD, 160user, 3333vl, 257 mag, 38 invisible), 2,037 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,498
Posts18,472,211
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.