Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Any dog,I see chaseing a deer, gets shot.

I'll shoot them too.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by logcutter
It ain't DisneyLand out there--never has been.

Thanks for the warning.I am new at this outdoors stuff.

Jayco grin

grin

I live part of the time in the middle of bear country--even had muddy bear prints on the picture window for a while this summer (again). But I don't spend my time looking over my shoulder.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tangozulu
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

We exterminated deer, elk, bighorns, pronghorns, and moose, too--what was the reason again?

Casey

It was good for farmers and ranchers?

Yep--that and subsistence hunting by early miners and settlers. And the ranchers and farmers screamed bloody murder when deer and elk populations began to be plentiful again.........even using the same phrases and threats I see on these wolf forums.

I guess history does repeat itself.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by SU35
Any dog,I see chaseing a deer, gets shot.

I'll shoot them too.

I've lost count of all the dogs I've shot running our livestock, or running deer and elk on our place during the winter.

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I live part of the time in the middle of bear country--even had muddy bear prints on the picture window for a while this summer (again). But I don't spend my time looking over my shoulder.

Casey

I have lived and worked in Idaho's worst.Spent most of my life in the outdoors either working as a dumb old logger or living there 24/7.I remember 25 years ago before the reintro of Wolves while hooking for a tong jammer and the Linkbelt 98 broke down and I was asked if I wanted to come back up that dang 85% grade for a while and I said no..Sitting there I saw a big Wolf walking on the trail whom stopped and starred at me for about three minutes while his lady walked by on down the trail,then he left.

It's different now with the Canadian Wolves..There in-bred by Canadian activist to attack all livestock and pets and herd the Elk North over the border.

So I protect my pets. grin

Jayco

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A mature wolf is a far tougher trophy than some old elk in my hunble opinion.

I killed 1 mature wolf this year and could have killed another as well as a cougar.

I saw a total of 2 elk (both cows) throughout both the archery and rifle seasons this year.
I elk hunted about 25 days this year.

As much as I am going to enjoy that wolf rug on my wall I would rather have good elk hunting like I did back in high school.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If we let the wolves get out of control, the only thing we will have to hunt is wolves. You don't have that problem with elk and pronghorn. They don't eat each other. Wolves are incompatible with the needs of the human race. For all who think their re-introduction was a good thing, the damage they will do far outweighs any interest mankind would have for their continued population increase. I'll say it again, "because they were there once" is not a good enough reason to destroy the rest of the natural balance.

Fast Ed

Define your manhood not by success, but by significance.
NRA Benefactor
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For my entire hunting career here in the Northern Peninsula of Michigan we went without wolves and things were just fine. In the last ten years the idiot, liberal, peace loving, dope smoking, clueless dinks from California have rammed wolves down our throats. Now you might as well stay home instead of deer hunting because the wolves have screwed everything up. WE got all the problem wolves from Minnesota, Wisconsin and else where. But THEY say we have lost our deer due to hard winters. Because hard winters are a new thing up here. WOLVES SUCK plain and simple and there is only one cure for the parasite. Better yet make it a one for one ratio wolf to wolf lover.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
http://www.counterpunch.org/palmer1109.html
I think fair is fair. We have the wolves here. We should reintroduce the grizzly bear to California. They even have them on their flag.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by poz62
http://www.counterpunch.org/palmer1109.html
I think fair is fair. We have the wolves here. We should reintroduce the grizzly bear to California. They even have them on their flag.

It must have been fantastic to see those bears in their day. Unfortunately short sighted policy's of the day wiped out what was a fantastic population. At least wolves allow the clock to be turned back. Sadly, the bears will never be able to do the same in California.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tangozulu,why not? I think it would be great to see the great majestic bears roaming their historic range. The enviros. can just set-up a fund to pay for damages caused by the bears (just like they did for the wolves in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. All of us "out-of-staters" can dictate to Californians how it needs to be done. Tim.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish you'd dictate a lil harder on how to manage our mountain lion problem.
laugh

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

We exterminated deer, elk, bighorns, pronghorns, and moose, too--what was the reason again?

Casey

Yep--that and subsistence hunting by early miners and settlers. And the ranchers and farmers screamed bloody murder when deer and elk populations began to be plentiful again.........even using the same phrases and threats I see on these wolf forums.

Casey

uncontrolled subsistence hunting and flat out market gunning had alot more to do with it than any "plan" by farmers and ranchers .....of course alot of those subsistence hunters were the early farmers and ranchers .

I'd bet they were not overjoyed when the cheap meat supply dried up......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Salmonella
laugh

Start by shooting every one you see.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
laugh

That would help create a lot more mountain lion habitat from all those abandoned ranchettes and ex-urban developments. It would help the lion problem a lot! Tis a capital offense of course....

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

Casey

Casey

uncontrolled subsistence hunting and flat out market gunning had alot more to do with it than any "plan" by farmers and ranchers .....of course alot of those subsistence hunters were the early farmers and ranchers .

You are absolutely right--but I didn't suggest otherwise.........

But what I will flat out say is; when uncontrolled subsistence and market hunting was curtailed and weird ideas like wildlife management, seasons, and hunting licenses were instituted, the resentment back then appeared to be similar to what we are hearing on this thread about wolves.........they just hadn't invented the word "enviromentalist" yet...........

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
laugh

We are trying my friend, we are trying.

(legal kills)

Was under my deck...
[Linked Image]

One of 9 lions that neighbor has legally killed on depredation permits.

[Linked Image]

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/HunterHarry/2-3.jpg

Proud NRA Life Member
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Tim_in_Nv
tangozulu,why not? I think it would be great to see the great majestic bears roaming their historic range. The enviros. can just set-up a fund to pay for damages caused by the bears (just like they did for the wolves in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming. All of us "out-of-staters" can dictate to Californians how it needs to be done. Tim.

My point is that re-establishing a grizzly bear population would be just about impossable. It does not just involve dropping a bunch of bears into the Sierras. It is far easier to kill off a species than to try to bring it back.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Doubt the subsistent and market hunters used traps and poison.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Tim_in_Nv

My point is that re-establishing a grizzly bear population would be just about impossable. It does not just involve dropping a bunch of bears into the Sierras. It is far easier to kill off a species than to try to bring it back.

I'd think the bears would do better in downtown San Francisco.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,509 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,078
Posts18,482,745
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.