Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I have been bitten by the 9.3x62 bug! I will use this gun mostly in North America (Elk, Moose, maybe Bears) and plan to take it to Africa for Buffalo someday.

I have a pre-64 Model 70 winchester action (30-06) that I am going to start with. I am going to have Redneck re-barrel it to a 9.3x62. I have ordered a Fiberglass Legend from Echols and I am going to have Alex Sitman fit the action to the stock, paint, etc.

Several questions:

What would you suggest as a target weight? In something I read by Kevin Robertson he was suggesting that 10 pounds scoped and loaded would be an appropriate weight for a 9.3x62. Seems a bit heavy to carry around but I do not enjoy recoil that much (one of the reasons I am going for a 9.3x62). What barrel contour would get me there and handle well? I am considering a pac-nor #3 or #4 at 24 inches.

Dare I ask about putting on iron sights? (I was leaning against them)
Scope suggestions? (Leupold 2.5-8 was my thought)

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
grinOne of my favorites. I had one put together about a year ago and carried it for elk and deer this past season. No luck on elk but did shoot a nice 8 pt buck DRT. I went Douglas Premium #3 cut at 21 inches and added iron sights. I have not weighed mine but it is considerably less than 10 pounds and would not want it any heavier. Mine probobly goes 8 1/2 pounds all up and carries very well. It is configured now with irons (peep) only and is around 8 pounds. I like it a lot laugh I am thinking of adding a lightweight Basner stock to make it a little lighter. Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
When I find a LH standard bolt face M 70 action, I may well build a 9.3x62.

I think 10# is about 1.5# heavier that I would be aiming for.

I would not go any shorter than a 23" barrel, not because of cartridge considerations, but because of what works well with the Legend stock (which I think is a grand choice for your project.)

I would play around with barrel contours starting with a muzzle diameter of .75", which would give a wall thickness of almost .20". But I would go with a steeper taper than most factory rifles, which mostly taper at about .008"/".

Have you thought about recutting the tang into the pre-war style and building up the bolt release tab? I think it creates a good look that works well with the contours of the Legend stock.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Utah -

I like that look very, very much! Who did the work for you? Did they also do the bolt release? ( I like that very much also)

I agree with both of you - 10lbs seemed heavy (but I am sure comfortable to shoot). 8.5 was my goal to start with, but I did not want to be unhappy with the recoil. I am thinking that I can compare the 9.3x62 recoil to my 300 H&H and it is real easy to shoot for me at 8.5 scoped.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My 9.3x62 is a factory CZ 550 barreled action in a fancy Circassion walnut stock by Serengeti. It weighs 8 pounds on the nose with Talley rings and a 4x33 Leupold scope, which means it goes around 8-6 with five rounds of 286-grain loads in the magazine. My handloads get around 2500 with 286's and the recoil doesn't seem at all bad, certainly nothing like a .375.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could just rebore the 06 barrel and be done with it. Save $ and if it has sights you are all set. A 24" barrel works fine and the scope is among the best in it's price range, although I might lean toward a 1-4 for big game as it's not a long range cartridge. BTW it also LOVES cast bullets!
Check with High Plains Reboring in ND. He did a 300 H&H 700 classic to 400 H&H for me and a 25-06 Browning high wall to 40-82 and they will both dump 3 in 1 MOA.(it's a .411 40-82 which in this action exceeds the 400 Whelen)
Here's pics of my 2 9.3x62s...... about 6 decades apart and the 400 H&H.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
A simple rebore won't do it; it requires a rechamber as well. In that case, you might as well start with a new barrel, and get things the way you want from the get go.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Here's a shot of my 9.3X62. It's built on a Brazilian M1908 Oberndorf action and has a 21" barrel that is 0.60" at the muzzle.

It weighs 8 lbs empty with Leupold rings and bases and a Leupold VXI 2-7X33 scope.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
elkrazy: This seems like a really nice project! wink
I have the Echols on a 375 and it is very nice!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice pair !!Classic wood and blue!!

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

IC B3

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mauser98
Here's a shot of my 9.3X62. It's built on a Brazilian M1908 Oberndorf action and has a 21" barrel that is 0.60" at the muzzle.

It weighs 8 lbs empty with Leupold rings and bases and a Leupold VXI 2-7X33 scope.

[Linked Image]

I really like that. A 9.3X62 on a M98 just seems like a natural to me. wink

Terry

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
In Europe 9,3x62 is often used for driven hunt. I own three: one Steyr SBS, one Mauser 98 custom and one KR1 Tracking rifle from Merkel. Not one is over 8 pounds with scope (Leupold 1-4x20)or red dot sight (Aimpoint9000). The Kr1 is used without scope for tracking wild boars, roes and red deers. Weight 3kg with four cartridges, barrel is 18inches. In hunting recoil does'nt matter you can't feel it. At the shooting range can fire 40rounds without too much problem using a Limbsaver shoulder pad.
[Linked Image]
The 9,3x62 is really effective and efficient!

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All this talk about weight got me to wondering so I went and weighed mine. It's a 1909 M98 with a 21" Lother-Walther barrel and wood stock. It weighs 9.02 pounds scoped up with a Leupold European 2-7 and Talley mounts.

[Linked Image]

Terry

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
IMHO 10lb is too heavy for a 9.3x62; I have a full custom 9.3 at a bit over 9lb, recoil is light but it does get heavy to carry by the end of the day.
I've also got an 8.2lb, 9.3 it's not pleasant to shot over the bench, but it's the one I use for serious hunting. I don't notice the recoil in the field and its good to carry, don't know that I would go any lighter.
Barrels I've had good results with the 24 inch Walthers, shoot well and easy to clean, my 9.3s are 0.60 and 0.625 at the muzzel, would not want heavier.
Scopes, one wears Leupold 2.5x8 the other Kahles 2-7. I think the Kahles is the better scope, but the Leupold is afine choice as well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really think that is a disinformation answer. Of course you rechamber.... try and bore a .366 rifled bore up through a 309 diameter neck..... might not work.

The advantages to a rebore are numerous and well known by guys "back in the day".. Where do you think the 35-40 came from?

The metal stresses are already relieved. The sights are there. It is a LOT less expensive than a quality new barrel, the barrel is already blued. It is real cut rifling.It fits the existing stock.

It's the OP's money and his choice but there is no DISADVANTAGE to a quality rebore from a reputable maker. To think so is just wrong. Holland & Holland thinks Cliff LaBounty is good enough to rebore and reregulate double rifles costing 100s of thousands.... that's good enough for me!

Last edited by oldman1942; 01/22/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ruger M77 (tang safety) w/LW 22" barrel.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by sactoller; 01/23/10.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I built a 9.3X64 with a #5 Douglas cut at 23.5" on a Mc Millan Remington Sporter stock. The barrel is fluted and weighs 8.14 w/o shells in it. It does push you around a bit on the bench but when you are standing on your feet it is completely tolerable.

Attached Images
9.3X64 Brenneke.jpg (80.91 KB, 5853 downloads)
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think 10# is too heavy for a x62 also.

My 9.3x64 Brenneke's weigh:
1. 8# even, empty, scoped
2. 7.75# empty, sans scope/rings

I have found both to be very manageable while shooting.

I am getting a 404 Jeffery built that I am aiming for 10+ pounds in that rifle/cartridge.

I know that recoil calculators aren't the end all when it comes to felt recoil since there are many other factors. But it would be a great place to start. Plug in numbers on other rifle/cartridge combinations you have shot and figure out your what you are comfortable with and build from there. If recoil is the main concern for the weight.

Arcus Venator
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My 9.3X62 weighs 8.75#; I wouldn't want it any heavier. I wouldn't want a 9.3 less than 8# either.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
9.5# is not bad.

A
A
Not sure what both my 9.3x62s weigh but they aren't heavy. Nor do they need to be.
[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Last year I built just such a rifle and am happy with how it turned out.
Pre 64 M70 fwt action
#3 shilen @ 23" w/basic iron sights
rimrock stock
talley 1 pcs lwts and a 4x leupy
as such it goes around 8.5 lbs, slightly front heavy which is a good thing, very comfy to shoot.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by handwerk
Last year I built just such a rifle and am happy with how it turned out.
Pre 64 M70 fwt action
#3 shilen @ 23" w/basic iron sights
rimrock stock
talley 1 pcs lwts and a 4x leupy
as such it goes around 8.5 lbs, slightly front heavy which is a good thing, very comfy to shoot.
[Linked Image]

You don't really want that thing........you should sell it to me! LOL! laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Randy does have a flair for putting together some awfully nice rigs don't he Bob!

His Pre's in Edge handles have always rocked me. If I didn't own a G33 slam dunk I'd follow exactly what he's done with them as I feel they're as nice as it's gonna get.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yes, Dober...he certainly has the eye for it....suspect it is that artisan-type mind set... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The easy way to do this is have High Plains Reboring in N. Dakota re-bore and re-chamber what you have. They do a great job, and you keep the original Pre-64 look. The cost is much less than a re-barrel job, too.

oops...got the State correct now. blush

Last edited by luv2safari; 01/23/10.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
High Plains is in ND. It is the way to go as Norm stands 100% behind his work unlike many gunsmiths.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/FFLDealers/FFLDealerDetails.aspx?sid=47193

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well...I was close. wink He does a great job, turns the work around and gets it done, and is reasonable in price.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I built mine on LH Win 70, Had Pac-nor barrel 22" and chamber it in a exact match factory contour. Nice Rife under 8# with a 2.5 X 8 Leupold Edge stock. Very accurate and carrys and balances right. 286 Gr NP @ 2500 FPS 250 @ 2650 FPS and accurate.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just started building one of these. Mauser 98 action, Lothar-Walther barrel (very reasonable in stock contours/chamberings, which is what motivated me to go with the 9.3 instead of a 35 whelen), found a NIB Fajen semi-fancy walnut stock for sale on another forum. I'll probably get the barreled action back from the smith in a month or so, and then I'll need to blue it and put it together. Still don't know what I'm going to use for a scope.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by aushunter
Not sure what both my 9.3x62s weigh but they aren't heavy. Nor do they need to be.
[Linked Image]

aushunter that is a very neat picture of a great buff and a fine classic-style rifle....I assume its' a Mauser 98,yes?

Scope?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
This FN is a Cliff LaBounty rebore from an '06. I put this together in 2000 for a plains game hunt. It is bedded in the stock shown, a B&C Medalist, and a nice walnut one too. With the 2.5x8X Leupold in Weaver mounts and its rather lean 24" barrel it weighs a touch over 8 pounds. It's the only rifle I own that will shoot the orginal Barnes X (250 gr) into little clusters.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Very nice looking assorment of rifles!

So I guess it would be safe to speculate that High Plains would be a good place to contact if you ever wished to have an existing 9.3x57 simply re-chambered to a x62????

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 9.3X62 fraternity has been growing for several years now.

...Good part in the proliferation of rifles like my FN 98 action 9.3X62 with detachable sidemount and a 4X Helsoldt. These came onto the market a few years ago and gained instant popularity for their quality and economic prices.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have two other Husqvarnas...a 98 FN 30-06 later production and an HVA action 7X57 AI. They are no frills guns, but exceedingly accurate, nice feeling and well balanced.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
BobinNH,

I think that is the rifle he references here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3639186/4/Husqvarna_146_9_3x57

...doesn't mention scope though.

luv2safari,

Are those side mounts available anymore? I have a Husky 146 that'd work very nicely with such a rig.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
efw,

These were on the gun when I found it and were complete.
Many of the recent imports have similar mounts that aren't complete. The mounts are also similar, but there seem to have been various makes and models that were popular in the late 1940's and mid 1950's, when these guns were made. I have been trying to find a top section with rings for a second scope, but have had no luck in the eight years I have owned the gun.

So...my answer is probably not...unless you found someone who shed a set to have top mounts installed.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I would go with 8.5 to 9 lbs on a 9.3x62..I also like a 26 inch barrel with a long magazine and a long throat..I get 2553 FPS with a 286 Nosler and 2413 FPS with a 320 gr. Woodleigh with nice pressure that way..That puts it in the .375 class and I cannot tell any difference in killing power on buffalo with it or my 375 H&H with the heavy bullets..The short tube doesn't work well with the 320 gr. Woodleighs on buffalo according to a good frind and well known PH..for what its worth.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
what would be the barrel contour and muzzle diameter Ray of the 9.3 at 26"

E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I am trying to figure out what the final configuration I have come up with will weigh.

I have decided on a pac-nor essentially #3 contour barrel. The weight calculator on their website says in this caliber the barrel will weigh 3.07 lbs (using my desired dimension of length and shank). I am guessing the action weighs a little more than 2.5 lbs (a standard pre-64 model 70) so I am thinking I am up to about 5 3/4 lbs. I am not certain how much an Echols Legend (standard fiberglass) weighs but I am guessing about 2 lbs, maybe a bit more with pad, studs, etc. - which would put me in the neighborhood of 7 3/4. So with a 11 oz scope and LW Talley rings I about 8 1/2 lbs.

How close am I?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Purely a guess but i'd say you're real close. And for the record my first is a FN 98 clone of the one above that I had some light gunsmithing done on and dropped in a Bansner. I'm running just under 8 lbs. with a 4x Leupold in Talley Ultralight mounts. Just bought a second that I suspect I will be able to keep under 8 as well. I personally wouldn't go heavier the 8 if I didn't have too, but I don't mind recoil and like em light.

A
A
Originally Posted by BobinNH
[quote

aushunter that is a very neat picture of a great buff and a fine classic-style rifle....I assume its' a Mauser 98,yes?

Scope? [/quote]

This rifle is a FN Husqvarna with Recknagel swing off mounts and a steel tubed 4x36 Schmidt&Bender scope with No;4 reticle.

P
P
I do enjoy the 9.3x62. A recent project was completed, using an older BRNO action with integral bases. 20 inch Douglas barrel, NECG iron sights, barrel sling swivel and 3-position safety, as well as a decelerator buttpad. Refinished the stock and checkered, add in a Timney trigger. With Murry sling, QD rings and an old Leupold 3x scope, weighs in at 8 � pounds.
All in all, this rifle carries both on shoulder and saddle scabbard very well, with excellent balance and shoot ability, both with scope and with iron sights.
Hunting load has been a 250 gr Barnes TSX, exiting at about 2400 and change. I have been using H4895 powder, but will try out some RL15 and Varget when time and weather allows. Recoil feels similar to several of my 30-06�s and 338-06, and I find it very manageable.
I have used the rifle to take a couple antelope, several whitetail does, a black bear and one very unlucky coyote. I will be carrying this rifle on an upcoming interior grizzly hunt. So far, a fun rifle and cartridge, and well worth the time and expense. Splitting hairs with the 338-06, but that is another topic!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aushunter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
[quote

Scope?

This rifle is a FN Husqvarna with Recknagel swing off mounts and a steel tubed 4x36 Schmidt&Bender scope with No;4 reticle. [/quote]

I have the rifle, but I sure covet the scope and mounts... wink

E
elkrazy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Does anyone have an opinion about using an EDGE fill stock for a 9.3x62?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 3 9.3x62
Tikka T3 ss 22" barrel .63" muzzle with steel rings, 1.75-6 Leupold 7 lbs. even
2 98 Mauser in fiberglass stocks both 7.75 lbs.
-20" barrel, .72" muzzle, peep sights
-24" barrel, .56" muzzle, steel mounts, 4x, 24 oz. stock
- the Tikka has respectable recoil with full power handloads

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K

My Pre-war M70 9.3x62 has a new Krieger 24" and weighs 8.5# which is just about right in my mind. It lives in a McMillan Griffin and Howe style stock, a mighty rare thing. Recoil not bad and ok to carry if you are fit, which you need to be anyway.

I heartily endorse Clearwater for reboring, unless you can get Dan Pedersen to do it.

Pay particular attention to feeding--the shoulder on the 9.3 is further forward and case has less taper than the '06. Redneck just finished tweaking mine--you are in excellent hands there.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
JS LaCourse,
My 9.3x62 is a double square bridge small ring Brno Mod 21, converted to a 9.3x62 with a 26 inch Lothar Walther barrel. The 26 inch barres is .595 at the muzzle..It weighs 7-3/4 pounds with rings and 1x4 Leupold scope.

It is about as perfect a buffalo rifle as one could own IMO..Light and easy to carry and recoil is very mild. About like one would expect from a cartridge case of that size, ala the 30-06, 35 Whelen, and 338-06..but with a bit more punch..

The 320 gr. Woodleigh at 2400 FPS recoils in that light rifle about like a 350 gr. Woodleigh in a 375 as best I can tell...easy to handle in other words.

I suggested 8.5 to 9 lbs in my first post as I figured thats what my Brno weighed, due the the felt recoil and a guess and by gosh..I have to amend that to 6-3/4 lbs. naked, now as I just weighed my gun, and boy was I off base on that. It's perfect for me.

Last edited by atkinson; 01/29/10.
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by elkrazy
Does anyone have an opinion about using an EDGE fill stock for a 9.3x62?

I believe McMillan only warranties the EDGE for cartridges less than .338 Win, so I don't know how they would handle a broken stock from a 9.3x62. That probably warrants a call to them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally I'd not worry about it but that's just me. I have one ordered for my 338 WSM and I'm sure it'll be just fine.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
elkrazy - I have one ordered from the Christmas special right now for that purpose. It's a gray EDGE for a push feed Win 70 that will be 9.3x62. I traded emails with Dick at McM prior to the purchase and was told I was good to go but he strongly recommends properly bedding the EDGE for 9.3x62 just to be on the safe side (obviously that's not an exact quote but was the essence of his response). Personally, I think this will make a heck of a nice mid range combo. My Pac-Nor is already here with the action awaiting the stock and a trip to the smith.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
LH Win 70 9.3 X 62 22" SS Pac-Nor .605" at muzzle 7.5# MRC Bottom Metal. Mcmillion Edge stock Leupold 2.5 X 8 with Redfield flip up peep site. Very accurate and it balances right.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Very nice set up KK.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The 9.3x62 is a traditional cartridge with a long history. Anyone that would stick a plastic stock on one, or use a stainless steel barrel will end up chasing rabbits, howling at the moon and soon become a child preditor, shame on ya! smile smile smile

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Ray,

We know your "old school". But how old was that school? A little one room red building with a privy and a school marm? I get your point but can't resist myself. Give the man a weather break. He is in Alaska

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My 9.3 is quite similar to Mauser98 above, however his is much better looking than mine. I don't mind at all the rifles with fiberglass stocks....the 2 coolest rifles I've seen both had fiberglass stocks. The 1st is a pre 64 model 70 in a Mcmillan glass stock, 9.3x62, express sights, can't remember the scope or mounts. It had been to Africa about a dozen times and really looked like it. The metal work was gray and the paint on the stock was chipped and worn through.

The other rifle was a .375 HH on an FN Mauser action and was in a Bell and Carlson stock. It also had express sights and barrel band sling swivel and a very expensive piece of glass in those EAW quick release mounts. That rifle has been to Africa maybe 20-30 times and looked very much like the 1st. Very well used and still very accurate.

I have to agree with Ray about the wood stocks and traditional cartridges, but in my case the glass stock, even though expensive, is more in line with what I could afford and I would not let that stop me from having a 9.3 or .375 put together.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ray - I actually somewhat agree but I've also realized that with nice wood I often baby my rifles and / or carry a different one so most of mine now are a bit more weatherproof. Would love a fine walnut and deep rust blue but wouldn't carry it enough so I went "practical".

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
kk,

info on the redfiedld flip up rear sight please. closeup pic would be great too.

thanks.

P
P
Redfield used to make a series of scope bases that had an attached 'flip-up' peep. i found several of these bases at a sporting goods store cleaning out the old junk.

Mounted on the back of Leupold Weaver style bases, they make for a great iron sight backup system on rifles with QD scopes. i have installed one on a Kimber 300 WSM, installing a front barrel sight (NECG). Also on a custom Mauser in 338-06, again using the Leupold Weaver style bases and Leupold Weaver style QD rings. they work great!

the key for me has been the Leupold Weaver style bases.. they are steel (better for drilling and tapping in the screws needed to hold the Redfield peep on), and are lower than many other makes. this keeps the peep as low as posible, reducing the height of the front sight.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
it looks like this......

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
can these be found anyplace still for sale?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by JS_LaCourse
can these be found anyplace still for sale?

well yes/no

that one I bought off here in the classifieds, along with a Savage 110 LH short action base of all things. I think I paid $20 for it and another $20 for a gunsmith to d/t the two holes 2x56(??)

they show up on flea-bay, and of course in the misc boxes at gun shops. I don;t believe they have been a catalogue item for some time (70's??)

Good luck!

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"Check with High Plains Reboring in ND."

Anyone have the contact info for High Plains???? E-mail? Phone #?

Thanks

Kaywoodie

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Look in any Reloader or Rifle magazine in the back area. He has ads there. I don't have one at hand, however.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Awesome! I 'll do it today.

Thanks!

Bob

Founder

WS

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Idahoguy101,
No privey, it was a pre privey society.:)

STanimal,
What one does with a custom wood stocked rifle to get passed the babying it, is to swish it gently in some thick bush, get some surface dings on it, in other words get over it and go hunting..When you retire form hunting get it refineished and display in the the gun cab! smile smile All my custom using guns look pretty rough, but I am stock maker so its no biggie to refinish one, but every one of those nicks and scratches brings back a wonderful memory, so I don't refinish my keepers.:)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any rebore to a larger caliber requires rechambering as well. In some cases (30-06 to 35 Whelen) only a rethroating is required.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
My original posts indicates that I consider the 9.3x62 all the gun one would need for buffalo..I could use it for buffalo for the remainder of my life and be Ok with it I suppose, but its not a 416, 458 Lott or 505..It is a minimum buffalo caliber, and IMO rates right beside the .338 Win....The .338 Win. max load will push a 300 gr. Woodleigh at 2450 FPS and the 9.3x62 with a long throat and magazine loaded max will push a 320 gr. Woodleigh at 2400 FPS, that balances out pretty close IMO...I like both cartridges real well.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ray,

you re right on speed but needs more powder for the 338 win mag at least up to two years when i was using both 338 win mag and 9,3x62 ... i kept my new 375 Ruger but that s just me ...

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had Al Siegrist in MI rebore/rechamber a .30-06 Ruger 1B to 9.3x62 in a full length 26" barrel profile. Another smith, now retired, mounted it in a stunning, close-barred, Tiger maple stock that came out very dark with light stripes. Its a stunner.

It weighs the same as my other 1Bs with a Leupold 6x aboard but it is a lively rifle to fire in terms of recoil although not punishing. Very accurate too.

Wish I had bought more of that Prvi partisan ammo when it was dirt cheap.

1B

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Ruger 375,
I agree on that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My M98 Husqvarna was, surprisingly, over 9 lbs fully loaded and it's an iron sight only rifle (might even have been 9.5 lbs with 5 rounds in it's deep gullet). If I'd had to guess prior to weighing I would have said it was no more than 8.5 lbs, especially as lively as it was off the bench. I'm not certain how much lighter I'd want it.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

[Linked Image]

I know this is an old thread, but that rifle is absolutely gorgeous! The stock is finished beautifully. What kind of wood is the forend tip?
That elk rack is pretty amazing too.

Last edited by Wilkup; 10/23/18.
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Wilkup

[Linked Image]

I know this is an old thread, but that rifle is absolutely gorgeous! The stock is finished beautifully. What kind of wood is the forend tip?
That elk rack is pretty amazing too.

Thanks
The forend tip and the grip-cap is ebony.

That’s tape on the muzzle, not a brake.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Checking in the 9.3X62 club

laugh

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Omid; 11/15/18.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I had JES reboring do an Remington 03A3 from 30-06 to 9.3x62 for me it's a tact driver! Just killed a 10 point buck yesterday with it! Love that cartridge was using it in Poland last month killled lots of boars & stag with it as well!

Semper Fi USMC/0331
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mine is a double square bridge Banner Mauser. It weighs 9lb with a 3x9 Zeiss. It has a 24" Shilen #4 contour barrel. I think it could be my sweetest shooting, hunting rifle.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent thread. Good to see it resurface as I missed it the first time around.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Truly a great thread. A few suggestions I am keeping in mind for my Savage rebore. Rusty

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,297 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,375
Posts18,469,398
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.