-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What state and area can a guy go to for free range wild boar hunting thats the closest drive from Connecticut?

Interested in something this winter.

Thanks in advance

GB1

Mabe Oklahoma www.caneycreekhuntingranch.com has free range hogs im going the 1st of april...

Regards,
S.Chesmore
Pellets Dept.
Hodgdon powder company
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How far north (towards CT) do these hogs range?

Perhaps the F&G depts. in likely states could be called?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
They are not in New York yet and our State Wildlife people want to keep it that way. In the regulations booklet that we get when we purchase a license there's a note in it that basicly says, if you see one, shoot it!

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Savage 99:

I run free range wild hog hunts in South Carolina. I don't have any openings left. Im booked from now to June. South Carolina has some great hog hunting if you can find a camp that doesn't run too many hunters. We use box blinds and feeders to hunt ours. We've had 2 hunts so far this Jan. and we've had 80% opportunity. Should have had 100% kill this past weekend but not all clients can shoot straight. Its a poormans hunt but we do a good job for our clients.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
1849 C Street NW, Washington, DC

But I'd shoot the sows first. grin

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe closer than you think.

It is not widely known, but there is a small population of wild boar in New Hampshire and perhaps, possibly, in Vermont. What few there are seem to be concentrated along the Connecticut River Valley. Supposedly, from what I was told, the original ones escaped the fence of Corbin Park, a private hunting preserve outside of Claremont, New Hampshire, when the fence was breached in the Hurricane of 1938. Friends hunt here every year. There is also a commercial preserve in Fairlee, Vt which offers boar hunting.

As an aside,I did a wild boar "hunt" at a preserve in Pennsylvania once some years ago. We drove in, looked around and drove into town to examine our consciences. We ended up going back because we had driven the distance to get there and what the hell.... but if anyone thinks this is hunting then they also think they can find love in a whorehouse.

When I was in college, I worked as a trip leader for a childrens' summer camp in Piermont, NH. Late one night I heard squealing, snorting and rooting around in the woods on the other side of the camp ballfield. I investigated the next morning and found the woods all torn up like some demented soul had run amok with a rototiller. Roots were dug up, rocks were overturned and furrows were dug in the dirt. This would have been about 1968 or 69.

Recently, on October 24th, a 200 pounder was hit by a car on Rt. 2 in Lancaster, Massachusetts and was finished off by the State Police according to news accounts. (You can Google up the pictures if you like.)

You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
As badly as I hate to recommend the People's Republic of Maryland, I'm fairly certain they're on the eastern shore. Having said that, I would recommend driving a bit farther south and hunt WV hogs. Feral hogs can be found everywhere and public land is reasonably abundant. There's also European boar in the southern coal fields (but there is a season on these, and the hunting is tough).

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I second Oklahoma, as there are several outfits among the state and they have a great population of wild pigs. I hunt there at least once a year, more if I can work it in. If you need more specific info, I can send you some.

Let's rob this train, Jesse.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Blue Mountain Forest Association, AKA Corbin Park, in Grantham/Cornish/Croydon/Plainfield, NH, has a large population of wild European/Russian hogs within its 24K acres (37.5 sq miles). Although close to CT, easy access via I-91, the price of admission is pretty steep. If you go, tell 'em Bill Ruger sent you.

There is also Wild Hill Hunting Preserve in Ely, VT. www.huntwildhill.com

Jeff

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
These aren't close, depends on if you want to fly or not. The weather in Feb/Mar should be good. Hog/javelina combos, real reasonable. In most cases all the hogs you wanna shoot.

www.lazyrhunts.com/ I've hunted with them.

www.ybarranch.com/

www.tomranch.com/

These are all big acreage free range feral hog hunts, with a chance to take a javie as well.

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Pennsylvania has several outfits that CLAIM to have "free range" hog hunts - These are ALL garbage fed crossbreed hogs that would make me ashamed of shooting one. I have been told by several reliable hunter friends that they have seen real wild hogs in the Poconos and Allegheney Nat'l forest, probably escapees from farms. That's all the help I can offer.

Terry

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
The White House.

Camp is where you make it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (160user, 257 roberts, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,669 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,289
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.