Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
So I've been back in the market for a mid-sized pack 2300-3200ci. As much as I know there isn't a do-all pack, I wanted to try find a pack that has as many features that "I" need in a pack. Of course, the only way to be sure was to have them in my hands to load with gear.

Also, I should say that I'm not trying to push one manufacturer over another. You are welcome to interprut my findings the way you see it.

After a rather interesting (not in a good way) phone call with Kifaru, I decided not to pursue their product. For comparison, I picked packs from Badlands, Sitka and Mystery Ranch.

Badlands 2200

Company based in Utah with the packs made in Vietnam
Street price at $199
True sized at 2310ci
7 Pockets
Batwing design with dedicated spotting scope/tripod pockets used in conjunction with the "orange" meat shelf to secure game/gear outside the main body of the pack
Molded waist belt w/ pockets and back padding
Soft quiet fabric availabe in AP or Max 1 camo
Quick zippered access into the main body by spinning the pack on the waist belt.

Sitka Flash 32

Company based in California with the packs made in Philippines
Street price at $269
True sized at 3200ci
9 Pockets
No option for attaching game to the exterior of the pack other than compression straps.
Molded waist belt w/ pockets and framed ventilated mesh backing to keep you cool.
Soft quiet fabric available in Optifade digital camo
Side zipper into main compartment.
Fleeced lined scope sleeve

Mystery Ranch Big Sky/ Big Horn
Big Sky pictured.

Company based in Montana with the packs made entirely in the USA
Street price at $350-390
True sized at 3200ci
4 pockets and ski sleeves
Large back panel with stitched in plastic stiffening sheets.
Molded waist belt that can be quickly folded into pack. Nice to tuck them away when traveling.
500D Fabric in Multicam camo, coyote, foliage, orange, green or black
Fully adjustable futura yoke based on your torso length.
Plastic stiffening sheets in the yoke, shoulder straps, back panel, and waist belt.

To take the following pictures, I stuff blankets, clothes and pillows into each pack. While they are not stuffed at the breaking point, they are filled enough that I had to draw the sides together to zip.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A couple notes:
The 2200 when expanded had a rounded shape including the molded back. It gave a pronounced feeling with the padding on my spine. Not a deal breaker but would require some planning when loading your gear to keep the back flat.

The 500D fabric on the Mystery Ranch does not have much stretch.

The height of the Sitka 32 pack is the same as the Sitka 20. The pack grows away from your back but not any taller. Again proper planning would be needed to keep the heavier gear close to your back rather than away.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I can see why the MR pack would cost more just by the visual. My eye goes straight to it .....and keeps going back. Eye magnets??

Curious of course about the Kifaru deal breaker?

H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
If a person wants to pick a pack solely on the price, there isn't much you can do. However when you start looking at the overall design, stitching, the attention to detailed features, it isn't hard to see why the MR is reviewed well when carrying heavy loads.

When I called Kifaru, I explained that I was looking for information on all aspects of the Late Season and spike camp. It was pretty much left with buy the pack and you will see why they are so good. A little PR training would help.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I called Kifaru, I explained that I was looking for information on all aspects of the Late Season and spike camp. It was pretty much left with buy the pack and you will see why they are so good. A little PR training would help.

It seams you got the Internet, so go on there website to get the information. They can't tell you how it's going to work for you.You're really not going to know how something works for you unless you try it. That's why they got a return guarantee, because they have no retail dealers for you to go try the pack.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
In the size range Huntem listed (2300-3200), the MR Bighorn takes the cake. Owned a BL2200 and it was good, but not in the same league as the MR. The MR BH costs less than the Kifaru LS and alot more features for less $$ IMO.

Have humped the MR Bighorn around the house with around 25lbs or so and like it!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had 2-of the 3 and the Kifaru suspention rocks! I will only say you should try the Late Season before calling it good! Good write up though!

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by RDMartin53
I can see why the MR pack would cost more just by the visual. My eye goes straight to it .....and keeps going back.

Thirty years of industry leading pack design will do that. MR makes a beauty.

H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Big_W

It seams you got the Internet, so go on there website to get the information. They can't tell you how it's going to work for you.You're really not going to know how something works for you unless you try it. That's why they got a return guarantee, because they have no retail dealers for you to go try the pack.

Yes, I have viewed their website but when your looking for more information like the fabric used it should be easy to ask. However, when I asked them to tell me more about their fabric regarding the noise level, stretch, etc... and I get the response of "Sure what do you want know"...."I just asked noise level, stretch"..."Which specifically?..."All of it"... their final response is "It will keep your gear dry"?? WTH?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
MtnHtr,

Those upper mesh pockets look like they would be just the ticket.

We need some blood stains on our packs.

Last edited by huntem; 01/24/10. Reason: Can't type

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You guys with the bighorn, how much weight have you put on it and how does it compare to the nice system?

I want to go get a somewhat compact MR pack soon, and the bighorn really catches my eye.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why is the Big Sky more than a pound lighter than the Big Horn??

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I think the bighorn has a beefier frame than the big sky. I'm not sure of any other differences between them though, maybe some in materials.

Last edited by TheTone; 01/25/10.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Reinforced Frame "for heavier loads"
More webbing
Zippered interior compartments
All come with added weight over the Big Sky.
Maybe Mulitcam, coyote and foliage are heavier too.

My daughter has a Big Sky and its a terrific pack. 3 zip opening is nice.
MR's standard internal organization and WATER BOTTLE POCKETS have it over my comparable Kifaru but for fit and suspension I still like my K packs.

H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by avagadro
Why is the Big Sky more than a pound lighter than the Big Horn??

The interior of the packs are slightly different with the Bighorn having a couple more pockets. The main difference is the X-Bracing in the Big Horn is larger than the Big Sky. For $10, I went and ordered the larger bracing as I will haul meat with this pack.

I purchased my bigsky new from a private individual so I called MR prior to get the scoop on the packs. I was looking at spending $100 more to purchase a new bighorn from MR. The response from MR was "you'd be wasting your money to buy the bighorn".

I loaded each pack with the same gear. Hands down the MR carried the weight much better than the BL2200 or Sitka 32. Don't get me wrong, both the BL and Sitka are great packs serving their owners very well carrying general gear with an occasional heavy load. However, if heavy loads are in your future routinely, the MR should strongly be considered, IMHO.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How "heavy" of a load. My impression this design was more for the blow and go or lightweight hauler and the NICE frame series was the weight hauler?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The bighorn has a beefier suspension and more internal pockets. I was fondling it today when I was out at the ranch. Its a good design but so is the big sky. If you found a second hand big sky for cheap there would be no reason to not grab it for the bighorn. If I was looking at them both and buying them new I would probably go with the big horn.

I carried 50 pounds of rocks in my sweet pea this summer for about 2 miles. It was not the best for the pack but it handled it just fine. Just from what I could tell this morning the bighorn could easily handle 50 pounds. Might come in handy for bringing out a cape or quarter why you go get your hauler. If it came down to it though I would stuff a deer or antelope in it and start home smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well your correct RD about the NICE frame getting the nod for the big stuff. I've seen videos of guys shoving 200+lbs in a BL2200 to test the breaking point but that's not a real world scenario.

What impressed me when I spoke with MR was the explanation on the mechanics of their packs and the science behind it. They went further to explain the difference in load densities and how they effect how the pack carries/flexes. That is why the bighorn gets the larger bracing to handle dense loads (meat) while maintaining minimal flex and the 70/30 proportion on the waist belt/shoulder.

I heard/read somewhere that the bigsky is designed to properly carry 50lbs. Sure you can easily go higher and the pack will handle it. But like you said, the NICE is geared properly for the 50-120lb loads.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by kenaiking
If it came down to it though I would stuff a deer or antelope in it and start home smile

I think I saw a picture of that some where. Ha

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rl11
You guys with the bighorn, how much weight have you put on it and how does it compare to the nice system?

I want to go get a somewhat compact MR pack soon, and the bighorn really catches my eye.

I'll add what I learned and researched before pulling the trigger on the MR Bighorn.

MR added thicker X rods, more reinforcement and a few other changes to the BigSky to come up with the Bighorn. It will easily handle up to 70-80lb loads though its not going to be as comfortable as a NICE or one of the larger Kifarus. But it will handle the weight. The role of this pack is for packing in light for scouting or a weekend hunt. Obviously it will work for day hunts as well. I bought mine mainly for weekend deer hunting trips, those early season trips where I go up Fridays and come out Sunday.

Where the MR Bighorn has it over Kifaru hunting packs of similar size is the design and layout of the pack. External water bottle pouches, PALs webbing, top lid pocket, stuffit pocket (beavertail) and the price.

Like I posted before I've only had 25lbs in mine so far humping it around the house. It's comfortable, very comfortable. Compared to my Siwash, I would give the Siwash a small edge in comfort with moderate loads but keep in mind it's also broken in.

If you're looking for a 1-3 day pack, and have light compact gear then the MR Bighorn should be seriously considered. And keep in mind MR is very conservative when spec'ing the internal volume of their packs (just ask SU35 how I know).

MtnHtr

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I own a Badlands and a Kifaru Spike Camp. The Kifaru is hands down a better day pack / load carrier. The difference is the kifaru puts no weight on my shoulders and the BL's does.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
"kifaru puts no weight on my shoulders and the BL's does."

This is what makes Kifaru packs shine! Now if MR would just make a taller Nice Frame and a hair less weight, well it might make me try again.

Good Shooting!
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I fell I like I should through in my two cents on sitka.
I had the badlands 2200 and found it to be very unsupportive and painful once I started throwing meat in it. I ended up ordering the Sitka bivy and the flash 32 to compare. Honestly when you take the top pack off the bivy and through in your day gear then suck the straps down it can be as small and narrower than the 32. I sent the 32 back and love my bivy 45. I used it for a total of 16 days of bow hunting and had no issues with the pack ever getting in my way. I had full range of me elbows and it did not interfere with head movement. During rifle season (started oct 1 for deer and elk and ended Jan 2 with buffalo) I used it to pack out three deer, and one big bull elk. The coolest part of this pack is how small it can be then undo the straps and it will swallow an elk hind or two muley hinds (i don�t recommend unboned bull elk hinds). It carries weight so much better than the 2200 and its lighter. It does not replace a good external frame for packing out meat though.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks MTN Hunter, it'll definitely have to be one on my list to check out.
Thanks

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The NICE frame has some taller options. If you get the NICE 6500 it has extended stays so the load lifters can actually do their job.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Great last post from Mtn Hunter.

H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
As I mentioned, I did spend the $10 and upgraded the X-Bracing in my Big Sky to equal what is used in the Bighorn pack.

Bracing in the Big Sky 3/16" or .187
Bracing in the Big Horn 1/4" or .250

[Linked Image]

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
From the boys at MR.

Interesting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tQ2Fhl2JQo

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Three day hunt and only one MH meal ... reckon that's why he's skinny!! smile (& I'm not)

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I was thinking the same thing but.....leaving that rain gear and packing more food. lol

M
M
What kind of MR pack is he loading?

H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
msp21, MR offers a bighorn (hunting) and a big sky (recreation) with very similar configurations. The bighorn offers a large diameter bracing for the frame and a few smaller internal pockets.

Currently, the multicam is no longer an option in the Big Sky. However, the earlier Big Sky's(like mine) were offered in the multicam camo pattern.

As mentioned previously, I upgraded my bracing rods to that of the Big Horn. Short of a couple pockets and straps, my big sky is the same as a big horn.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Were you able to switch out the bracing yourself? How much did the bracing cost? I looked at both packs and decided on the Big Sky since I wanted it more for recreation.

H
huntem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
As mentioned, the pricing would be around $15 w/ shipping. The swap wasn't hard but did take some wrangling. If you order the big sky, they may do the swap at MR for you.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
In the video,I believe its a longbow.

Last edited by ppfd; 03/17/11.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,546
Posts18,491,649
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.