Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I haven't talked to Pat in a couple of years. I did talk with one of his buddies that I worked with for quite a while just a few weeks ago. Pat still retains sole access to the Hill. You may want to try to call him. His website is a little funky. He is a great guy and will gladly answer any questions and help you find the hunting arrangement that fits you best. You can also get some scoop on the Hill from the Colorado DOW website under the wildlife ranching button. The Hill wildlife ranching tag is probably the hardest to draw in the state, because of the quality of the hunt and the bulls. I hunted with Pat's son on the Vermejo a couple of years ago. When asked for the best quality bull hunting, he didn't hesitate to insist on the Hill.

By the way, we stayed at the 33,000 acre Whittington Center during the Vermejo hunt. The 550,000 acre Vermejo and the 100,000 or so acre CS ranch adjoin the NRA property and make access to any ranch in the area quite easy. The Whittington Center is an amazing place. Besides the beauty, wildlife, and incredible selection of shooting ranges on the property, the accomodations are very comfortable (we stayed in one of the Founders cabins), especially for me and my partners who view the terms "luxury" and "elk hunting" as mutually exclusive!! Luxury to us are the wood stoves in our wall tents and extra thick cot pads from Cabelas. We consider ourselves spoiled by those luxuries.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Vermejo, Vermejo and Vermejo....those are your top three choices...period. They have the biggest bulls and the largest numbers of bulls you have ever seen. Possibly the only two spots any better are San Carlos and White Mountain and none of us can get on either of those ranches at all. They are booked solid with repeat customers and are not taking any other folks on their waiting lists at this time, other than repeats.

I killed a 358 2/8 there, friend got a 340, another friend got a 341, another got a 338.....its amazing. Went there this fall and one guy got a booner...everyone got bulls in the 335-345 range.

Accomodations.....nothing can be said about them that already has not been said. Simply amazing.

PM me if you want additional info.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've hunted 3 Forks for cow elk four times and never saw any large bulls. Chama Land & Cattle and Vermejo have quality accomodations and quality animals. I've only hunted cows on Vermejo and grew up not far from Chama. But, the quality of animal I've observed on Chama L&C and Vermejo have been superior to 3 Forks.

If you and your wife haven't been to the Southwest much, other things that might be worth considering would be the opportunity to explore Albuquerque and Santa Fe. And, a side trip to Taos would also not be out of the question if you hunted either Chama L&C or Vermejo.

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have been to the SW before but I am not sure she has. We ski a lot and travel to UT, CO, and MT a decent amount but not that area. I think she would really like exploring the area and seeing the SW. I am leaning towards Vermejo.

I really appreciate everybody's help.

Now, I've got to figure out how I'm going to pay for this hunt since my fall hunt budget is not this big and I have other trips I was thinking about and I have new child to pay for!

Lee

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bxroads
I think its nearly 200,000 acres and Vermijo is 600,000+ if I'm not mistaken.

Anything over 50-100k(depending on terrian) is big.
Hell, 5k is pretty good size chunk of land.

Those are HUGE private ranches!

Last edited by SamOlson; 01/23/10.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Vermejo, Vermejo and Vermejo....those are your top three choices...period. They have the biggest bulls and the largest numbers of bulls you have ever seen. Possibly the only two spots any better are San Carlos and White Mountain and none of us can get on

Ditto what Godogs says.....

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/23/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Vermejo, Vermejo and Vermejo....those are your top three choices...period. They have the biggest bulls and the largest numbers of bulls you have ever seen. Possibly the only two spots any better are San Carlos and White Mountain and none of us can get on

Ditto what Godogs says.....

I concur. I've hunted the Chama area three times--good average solid 300-pt bulls. Superb accomodations.

I've hunted the UU Bar and the Hill Ranch, both adjoining the Vermejo Park property. The elk here are 325-380 animals. World-class accomodations.

The Vermejo bulls are significantly better, and your wife will love the pampering.

AND, I'm happy to say I've hunted the White Mountain Reservation too. Very nice accomodations and a 392 bull.

You should choose Vermejo Park, IMO.

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Can we go tomorrow?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good info above.
What about Turner's "Flying D Ranch" in Montana?
They have great bulls and I would expect good accommodations as well..

http://www.arnaudoutfitting.com/photos/elk-08.html

Proud NRA Life Member
Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'll look into Flying D. Anybody got any info there?

I'm waiting to hear from the Vermejo guys. Apparently they went to SCI. Thanks
Lee

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ebby- I can dream of taking my wife on a hunt like that, but 'twil never afford it. No matter which way you go, I'd be interested in hearing your wife's (assuming she is a non-hunter) perspective on the trip. I think my wife would like a trip like that, but am far from certain on that.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My wife does not pull a trigger so to speak, but she loves the ranch at Vermejo about as much as I do. As was stated before, they do pamper her! Pay no attention to the ugly fat guy in the last pic.

Here are some pics with her having a good time out that way.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Would anyone care to post some prices for these ranches?I know I can't afford them but I can dream for my bucket list.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anywhere from $8750-12500 on the NM ranches for 5-7 days of hunting depending on time of year and weapon. Flying D is in MT and looks to be $12-14k. The CO ranches appear to be in the $10k range.

Lots of overtime for me b/t now and then!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ebby,
I am hurt! I thought you were going to cook, call, and carry my bow for me on my AZ elk hunt. Oh well, A is better looking than me and she does bear your children.
MS

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am willing to go with you! I'll just drive across the Border after I'm finished. You may need my help. Emphysema is a bitch! You are right about the better looking part. She is slightly less hairy than you and that's what I'm after. She can carry your pack after you kill your 380" Elk if we can make it over there.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Godogs: The inside of the game barn looks familiar,as do the lounge and dining hall....and the lady is lovely! grin

I suspect the expensive hunts are rut;the cheaper ones are for the later hunts,post rut,down in Crow and adjacent canyons,the low country...but stll great nevertheless......

Saddlesore: I would share pics but mine predate the internet! smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/24/10.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
VPR has 7 rifle hunts. Basically week 1 and 2 are considered "rut" hunts and cost 12K. Weeks 3-7 are 9K.

Thanks Bob...she doesn't take a good picture by her own admission as I told a friend on this thread, but she does have a good time while out there playing cowgirl.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Godogs: On one trip i took my wife and kids,too...they still talk about it!

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anybody know anything about Redd Ranches? Supposedly in UT and CO or just UT maybe. Thanks
Lee

Last edited by Ebby; 01/25/10.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 54 invisible), 2,894 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,729
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.