Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 Its the PC climate we live in today.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It was standard wardroom etiquette when I was a serving Navy officer not to discuss women, politics and religion.

If you are looking for a "free be" I would expect to have to observe the givers rules. Giving you free stuff, and following your rules seems a bit much.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The issue with "free" stuff to things that aren't part of some larger, nationally recognized group (DU, TU, Whitetails Unlimited, RMEF etc) is that when it comes time to account - boss man figures you let product go out the door to a buddy.

Giving to a group as I mentioned - provides some cover for the store and corporation.

Way to easy to set up some "raffles" for a guy and his buddy "through Church" versus faking a DU dinner...

Me

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have no problem with the policy as long as they do it uniformly. If you give to one you have to give to all unless you want some rather serious public relations problems. I don't understand people who get angry when someone refuses to give them free stuff.

edit: That African trip they outfitted sounds like an advertisement to me. I assume they do advertise.

Last edited by Notropis; 01/27/10.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Gander Mountain has many more issues than the topic at hand...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
In exchange for the "free" stuff, they are getting "free" exposure/advertising. Seems like a win, win to me.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Some "free exposure" can get real sticky if it is not in the right place.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Gander tends to be way overpriced on both ammo and guns. I tend to shy away from them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to agree Gander Mountains prices are CRAP!!!! I can almost guarantee that Cabelas is lower on dang near everything then Gander. I was looking for some muck boots. Gander 169.00, Cabelas 149.00 exact same pair. Most everyone else in the area/country was selling them for 149.00.

Found an ad in the Wisconsin Outdoor News and a guy that owned an archery shop was selling them for 119.00.SAME BOOT.

Gander gets VERY VERY little of my business and I could really care less if they do go out of business. Because I like to be kissed before I get.... well you know:)

Bill/WI

Btw Cabelas has been pretty good to me. I bought a Savage Predator rifle in 223 for 599.00. about a week later it was on sale for 549.00. Contacted the Cabelas in Richfield,WI where I bought it and the gun manager said bring in the receipt and they gave me the difference back. Now that IMO is good customer service.

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fleet Farm is over looked too. GB's FF and Gander are about 2 miles apart. 40 bucks cheaper on guns. Easy.

Me

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Gene L
I don't understand why a church expects freebies from a retailer. And gets miffed when they're not provided.

I think some of yall are missing the point. I could care less if they give anything or not. It's the fact that they don't have to "balls" to stand for something so they blanket every religion. Even if they stood for Muslim atleast have the balls to stand for it.
Originally Posted by hawkins
I'm confised; What part of scripture do you cite to
promote Turkey Calling?, why can't you be denied a "free gift".

Take Care!

Jeremiah 16:16, Gen.9:3 good enough for me on turkey calling....lol.
Like I said above it's not denying me the "free gift". It's the whole America scared to stand for something, anything anymore. .

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They are standing for something - no free gifts to religious groups. Just so happens it's not what you stand for.

Me

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by summitsitter

GANDER MOUNTAIN DOES NOT SUPPORT
As a rule, Gander Mountain does not support the following types of organizations or activities through corporate contributions or sponsorships:

�Political or religious organizations
�Other events/activities that are incompatible with our corporate brand image

So then what exactly is your corporate brand image. Like I said I'm not mad at all about not getting anything. We've been blessed with this event every year with plenty of stuff to give away. I'm gonna call the corporate office tomorrow and find out what is there corporate image is. If they don't support Christianity then my business will go to other places that do. This is not about not getting anything its about what I believe and what I stand for. You don't have to donate something to support it. These are just my opinions and don't want to get into some big religious deal over this.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had a paragraph written but I just couldn't hit the submit button.

Who the hell even shops at Gander Mountain anyway? Everytime I have ever been in there it was just for a look and to kill time. Everything in their store is way overpriced and I accuse them of affiliating with the Yuppies grin

Last edited by onestar; 01/27/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I doubt they are anti-Christian. Probably very anti the baggage that comes along then with all the "others" then asking about "why not me"?

I also suspect the political group was the larger target there....

Me

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You could always convert to a Moonie and call Kahr... wink

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
OP way off base here imo.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have no ax to grind one way or the other about this matter. I do however have friends and family members involved in sales all the way from cars to coffee and I have an observation that I will pass on. The people involved in sales jobs find that it gets very old for someone to come in several times a week wanting either freebies or to purchase something at a figure below cost on the basis of representing themselves as a member of one religious group or another. The common thread seems to be that you are not a good person or business if you do not do what is requested. Some folks get very nasty about it if they are told no. This seems, to me, to be very much like a child who wants something, doesn�t get it and then creates a disturbance. Lots of people want something for nothing and they all have a reason why they think that they ought to get it.

Last edited by RickOShay; 01/27/10.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
RickOShay I totally understand what your saying. A business can't succeed giving everybody that walks through the door something for nothing. I've had numerous company tell me they couldn't help. Each for there one reason which all I respected. The thing is they cared enough to atleast to give me a chance to explain who I was and want I was doing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try working in a service/retail industry and see how many of these requests for "donations" you get. It is a royal pain in the azz! The more you do, the more you requests you get. And trust me, the amount of "exposure" you get doesn't even come close to the actual costs of such donations Throw religion into the mix and things get even more tricky.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

437 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 11point, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,655
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.