Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I guess I faced the REALITY of quitting for the 2nd time in my life. I quit again last August and haven't fallen down because of one simple thing, I made up MY MIND I wasn't going to smoke again. Of course having my Doctor tell me I might be on the verge of COPD certainly helped. Actually, my last smoke was walking back to my car from his office. I still get those "thoughts about a smoke" from time to time, but I certainly have enough brainpower to figure out, haven't smoked in 6 months, obviously I don't NEED to smoke. It is simply a desire.
THe sad part about so many smokers is they don't allow their brains to control their desires.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got mad at myself and quit a 4 1/2 pack a day habit cold turkey. That was 31 years ago. Now I enjoy a fine cigar once a month and no desire to smoke a cigarette ever again.

As a side note I worked all day with two chain smokers and went home to a house with five chain smokers. Today you can smoke in front of me and it does not bother me in the slightest.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ruger 4570
I guess I faced the REALITY of quitting for the 2nd time in my life. I quit again last August and haven't fallen down because of one simple thing, I made up MY MIND I wasn't going to smoke again. Of course having my Doctor tell me I might be on the verge of COPD certainly helped. Actually, my last smoke was walking back to my car from his office. I still get those "thoughts about a smoke" from time to time, but I certainly have enough brainpower to figure out, haven't smoked in 6 months, obviously I don't NEED to smoke. It is simply a desire.
THe sad part about so many smokers is they don't allow their brains to control their desires.
Good post..

Thank God I never started... laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
23 years Cold Turkey. Never missed it. Started back again for about two packs about 17 years ago. Made me sick. Haven't had one since. Coupla cigars when someone has a baby but that's it. All I can tell any of you that are quitting is that it's worth whatever you're going through to quit. For any of you that are still smoking, ........ Well, there's nothing I can tell you that you don't already know. You just haven't done anything about it yet.

Alan

Smoke, Smoke, Smoke
that cigarette
Smoke and smoke and smoke until
you smoke yourself to death

Tell St. Peter at the Golden Gate
you just hate to make him wait
but you just gotta have
another cigarette!

-CC & TLPA

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I quit cold turkey on Jan. 20, 1980.
Best thing I've ever done.
Smoked a lot, cigs, cigars, pipe and chewed too.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in December 09 a fine fella here pm'd me about Chantix. My docs been after me to quite the butts for years. Recommended Chantix to me a year or so ago.

I did wind up doing the Chantix scrip., a one month regimen. Started the stuff Dec. 20th or so, followed the program as recommended, last butt smoked Jan 5th, have not looked back, no desire nor craving, nothing. Good deal.

I heard that there could be wild crazy dreams. Well, I had some. Pretty cool actually. I looked forward to them, lol. Having smoked butts for 36+ years this is absolutely amazing.

A huge Thank You to the 24hcf member for the PM.

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I quit after 28 years last November. I hadn't planned on it, just refused to pay another $2 tax on the damn things. Cold turkey, unless you count Atomic Fire-Balls & peanut M&Ms.

It took me a while to quit reaching in my pocket first thing in the morning, but other than that, I didn't think it was that rough. I saw those adds for Chantrix, and the side effects scare me more than the ones for smoking!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I just recently quit myself. Went cold turkey and, so far so good! Been a few months now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, I'm not sure how some of you let go so easily. It's been 4 months and it's killing me.

For you fellas who drink, how long was it before you were able to have a beer again?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I got lucky after 18 years of smoking..Tried to quit a couple times.It didnt work.Finally I got to the point where I wasnt enjoying it, and didnt feel well.
Not wanting to smoke works a whole lot better than wanting to quit...

BTW it'll be awhile on the beer...

Its been 16 or so years for me and still when I see someone my age in the morning, smoking a cigarette, having a cup of coffee and a donut..it pizzes me off.......

Why can't I be that guy!!!! cry

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

Its been 16 or so years for me and still when I see someone my age in the morning, smoking a cigarette, having a cup of coffee and a donut..it pizzes me off.......

Ingwe

That's funny as hell.

Those fellas probably have all their hair to.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by rrroae
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe

That's funny as hell.

Those fellas probably have all their hair to.

They do!!! Thanks for reminding me...you young #%^&$#@!!!! laugh

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I quit a few times, up to 6 monthes a time or two. When I first started smoking, I smoked 1.5 packs/ day. Before I just quit on new year's day, I smoked 1 pack a week. What pushed me over was the fact that my 79 year old grandfather can't go anywhere without his oxygen. He got after me about it. He had a heart attack 19 years ago after smoking for 45 years.
Besides, I have more $ for reloading components now. 27 days....cold turkey wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Keep it up jaydub!!

It is worth it...trust me...

Ingwe

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I will ingwe. Beer tastes better now grin

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have never smoked one in my life. And I have always been the nice guy and not harassed or bitched at smokers, when they light up. I just tried to stay away from it the best I can.

the rewards for doing so, are I am now suffering lung problems from exposure to second hand smoke all of these years.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
how do you know it's second hand smoke? just curious?

GOA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
May 26, 2004, traded cigarettes for chemo meds....

Lynn

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by TooDogs
how do you know it's second hand smoke? just curious?

because as I said above, I have never had even ONE cigarette in my mouth in my life... never had the desire to smoke even once in my life time.

and I have not been employed in an industry such as a factory or in a manufacturing environment.

I have worked predominantly in the medical and medical sales field.
was brought to my attention after having to go to a pulmonologist for continual coughing and pulmonary issues.

Last edited by Seafire; 01/28/10.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (300_savage, 10gaugemag, 338Rules, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 15 invisible), 1,590 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,642
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.