Print Thread
Hop To
Page 320 of 1,842 1 2 318 319 320 321 322 1841 1842
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like you've been here Bill, I live on the southernmost point in the Bay. Works pretty good on the big lakes too...we spend half our time on Lake Michigan chasing salmon. Wanna come join us?

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
GB1

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A pic from one of our days chasing silver fish from a few years back. Me standing second from right. First mate sitting in foreground.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by SSB
We both are a little worn around the edges but she's all mine...lol. .

That would be the best part of the boat! smile

Good looking rig.

A dad of a pard was looking to get a 35' or so, until he learned it was that or the cabin. He ended up with a 22' Lund Baron, because he can still trailer it around.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Great pice Scott.

I fished salmon for the first time two years ago. We went out of Kewanne, WI of King's. It was a blast, but we only got to fish for a hour and a half. we got blown off the lake. The small craft alarm went off...even the big guide boats headed back.

I did catch a big SOB. Guy that took me told me it was a Jumbo, and I believe him. It took nearly 1000' of line twice.

I have the pic of it at my office computer, I'll post it up on monday if I can remember. It was around 30#'s.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by SSB
Sounds like you've been here Bill, I live on the southernmost point in the Bay. Works pretty good on the big lakes too...we spend half our time on Lake Michigan chasing salmon. Wanna come join us?

Never been on Saginaw Bay Scott. But have seen a number of shows filmed there to know how bad it can get. I have been out on Lake Michigan several times as well as Bay de Noc. Be happy to join you if the I get over there though.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B2

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You'd be welcome...actually all of you would. Funny...we only dock 62 miles from Manitowac...but it must be like 350 miles to get there...lol. Hopping the Badger is still the best deal I'd guess. Damn this time of year is boring around here....lol.

Scott

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Nice jug's scott I mean milk jugs and fish laugh

I don't feed em I eat em
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tom..30# is the magic number anymore on the Great Lakes. They aren't very plentiful so you got a dandy! The fish we've taken in the last few years probably average 16 lbs. It's easy to look at a fish and say "Hey..theres a 20 pounder!" Put them on the scale tho....18-19 catches most of the big looking ones. Nothing like a fish emptying a reel at 25 mph to get the heart rate up. It's "almost" as much a rush as deer hunting.....I'll have to dig out some sunset pics over Lake Michigan. They are as spectacular as anywhere.

Scott

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by SSB
You'd be welcome...actually all of you would. Funny...we only dock 62 miles from Manitowac...but it must be like 350 miles to get there...lol. Hopping the Badger is still the best deal I'd guess. Damn this time of year is boring around here....lol.

Scott

Took the ferry across back in 1963. Green Bay to Ludington. Any idea how much it costs to bring a car over these days?

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Tell you what Scott, I think I have some sunrise pics from that day. They were beautiful. I have a great one of a charter boat w/ the sun coming up behind it, man I hope I still have that one on the computer.

I've been lucky fishing and caught a number of big fish from different species, but that dang King was the most fun.

I'll never forget the look on Jim's face when I asked, "is there really 900' of line out?" His eyes got huge and he yelled, "YES, REEL, REEL, REEL!" We got it to the boat and it took off again, and I got to start over. It was a blast.

We got one more about 2 minuets after that. It was a 12-14#'er and it was dwarfed by that big sucker.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SSB
It's easy to look at a fish and say "Hey..theres a 20 pounder!" Put them on the scale tho....18-19 catches most of the big looking ones.
Scott

I know what you mean there Scott. 20# is the magic number for pike on LOW. At least for me it is anyway. The slot is 30" - 40" with one over 40" allowed. I tip up fish every year for them. (Thanks to Uncle Dusty who introduced me to it over 20 years ago) Many think that just because they are over 40" that they are at least 20#. Not so. I have caught a few that are 40" and over but none of them have hit that magic 20# number. Funny thing is though, when I bring a woman along, they always seem to get one that I would consider a taxidermy canidate. My wife caught a 20lb'er last year and I think I was more excited than she was. (At least that is what the rum bottle told me at the end of the day)

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
To me there is nothing like a salmon... I know some guys are muskie freaks and I fish them a couple of times a year myself...but I guess I'm just a salmon head...people talk about the violence of a muskie strike...but a King can hit going 25 mph in the opposite direction. The sunrise/sunsets on Lake Michigan rival any in the world.
Bill, I have no idea on the rates on the old Badger anymore...but I'd like to just ride back n forth on it once before its too late.

Scott

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Sorry about your friends Scott.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jim, I know what ya mean about the ladies. Having the girls on board always bring luck, thats why the wife mates...:) She really is one of the best big water fisherpeople I know. (That should score some much needed points). In her mind she allows me to drive the boat...lol.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SSB
Jim, I know what ya mean about the ladies. Having the girls on board always bring luck, thats why the wife mates...:) She really is one of the best big water fisherpeople I know. (That should score some much needed points). In her mind she allows me to drive the boat...lol.

TFF

laugh

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The coyotes are on the prowl with this full moon and getting close to breeding season. I haven't seen any paired up yet but they are definatley moving. The Ruger M77 7mm Mag with 140 grain Accubonds laid the wood to two of them yesterday. I normally hunt with my 22-250 but the scope on the 7mm is so much better. Plus its fun to roll them at 500 yards! crazy

Last edited by Rooster7; 01/30/10.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I couldn't find a sunset pic on this computer, but here is a sunrise I shot into on Lake Huron a few years back. That fish looks huge but if I remember right it was only about 22#

[Linked Image]

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The dogs are really on the move here too Jim. We usually hunt them at night but we don't have enough snow right now to see...a couple of inches would be nice to get a background.

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
bigbrie....we always have a good supply of milk jugs around here....lol. I have to be carefull 'cause I'm still in the doghouse a bit over a pic i posted here on another thread...lol. If I keep it up I may not get to drive the boat....:)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swishing through DavesWorld for some shameless self promotion.

click here to see the book of old hunting/savage photos i finally made

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
Page 320 of 1,842 1 2 318 319 320 321 322 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (22250rem, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,635 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,697
Posts18,475,205
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.