Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree that looks pretty nice..........a dall cape is probably a lot cheaper than a stone. Not sure which you need.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No I don't need a cape. I sold the one that came with those horns. It is a Dall.

Elk mounts are a giant PITA if you ask me. You are stuck figuring out what to do with them forever. I doubt I will ever mount another.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
By the looks of that bull...I doubt you'll ever want to mount another...hes a dandy!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dinkshooter
I love my euro sheep. I pick it up darn near everyday and just hold it crazy I have plans to buy one of those black metal euro mounters from the guy in Canada, just can't seem to get organized.

Do you know how much a full body sheep cape sells for smile

[Linked Image]

How much? I have one I might get rid of.

Been thinking of doing that with my bighorn.

My elk and caribou.....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by elkhunter76; 01/06/10.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Think I'll go try to dump a bison. That would make a great Euro I think.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by elkhunter76

My elk and caribou.....

[Linked Image]

Keith...that room belongs to have that kind of heads in it!!

Caribou from Quebec?

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No I don't need a cape. I sold the one that came with those horns. It is a Dall.

Elk mounts are a giant PITA if you ask me. You are stuck figuring out what to do with them forever. I doubt I will ever mount another.

[Linked Image]

One of the better looking mounts I've seen!!! Great pic with that full sneak!

I agree, I'm getting my one bull done and then I doubt I'd get another done for several years. They are so huge and take up so much room!!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

[Linked Image]

That looks really good, congrats on a real nice bull. Any chance of some more pics from other angles? (ie side) Also any idea of some rough measurements as to how far out from the wall it sticks, and height from the bottom of the brisket to the highest point on the rack?
Thanks.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow the house was bare back then. We had just moved in and that was one of the first things to go up. Looks a little different now. Hard to get a good shot with all the crap in the way.

The funny thing is that was mounted in 1986. All he really needs is some touch up paint. I have a "tortured artist" type taxidermy friend that absolutley loves that mount.

Sadly he spent nearly 20 years in a 8 ft ceiling front porch, before getting up on this wall.

Brisket is 7' from floor
Nose is 48" from wall
From bottom of Brisket to top of royal is 5'

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very nice!! Thanks for taking the time for more pics and measurements. I'm still trying to make some form decisions for my bull.

Holy smokes. We've only got one suitable wall in the house and at 4' x 5' that is gonna take up some serious room!!

Last edited by Duk Dog; 01/06/10.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Duk Dog
Very nice!! Thanks for taking the time for more pics and measurements. I'm still trying to make some form decisions for my bull.

Holy smokes. We've only got one suitable wall in the house and at 4' x 5' that is gonna take up some serious room!!

You just need to finish that basement!!! LOL...I know the feeling. Hence why a guy tries to only shoot one giant bull in his life!

You have definatly one of the nicer wall spaces for an elk. It will look great up there man....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rackmastr
Originally Posted by Duk Dog

You just need to finish that basement!!! LOL...I know the feeling. Hence why a guy tries to only shoot one giant bull in his life!

You have definatly one of the nicer wall spaces for an elk. It will look great up there man....

Only way it would fit in the basement is if I dig the floor out deeper, or mounted it about 2' or 3' off the floor. laugh We just did the measurements in that vaulted part of our entrance and it was an eye opener (even though I already knew it) how much room it will take up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL yep....they take up a lot of room! And ya the basement stuff sucks for a big bull elk.

Makes a guy love european mounts more and more!!!

I hate the prospect of moving to a smaller house and having to stuff my bull low to the ground or else keep him up in my parents cabin...lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My two best bulls. I shot the first one in NW Montana with my .30 Gibbs and a 180 gr Nosler Partition. He measured 44" wide and the longest main beam was 60" long. All points are over 12" long.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is my second best bull. I shot him with my .257 Ackley and a 117 gr Sierra GameKing bullet while I was on a solo backpack hunt for Bighorn sheep in Montana's Absoroka Wilderness north of Yellowstone Park.
[Linked Image]

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This is not my biggest elk, but it was my first bull.

[Linked Image]

Here are some other things you can do.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I LIKE it! laugh

Cool digs KC.... cool

Ingwe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I mounted my first, I'm waiting til I get a really big one before mounting another. The rest just get tossed in the corners.
[Linked Image]

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ingwe:

The "digs" are an addition that I built myself. I think I enjoyed building it as much as using it.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

ex:

Looks like there's a nice 6-pointer in there. You ought to stain those antlers and make an antler mount.

KC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That was a nice bull, and don't get me wrong, I'm damn proud of him, but before I drop the price of another gun on a mount, I want something even bigger. I've got time, I'll get one.
[Linked Image]
I mounted the 5 point I took in Montana because it was my first. Was a poor college student and tried to do it myself, then had a pro redo it:
[Linked Image]

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1lesfox, 1234, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 62 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,713
Posts18,514,085
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.