Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I use a comparator on a dial caliper. Ain't perfect but its a shot. I have a nylon insert cut from years ago by a guy that isn't with us anymore that gives me a good idea if anything changed.

Shorter leads just lessen the chance you have to shoot with jump to the lands. IF you have any jump you have a chance at less accuracy, it can wobble some before engaging rifling and have a chance at engaging crooked so to speak.

I generally have tight throats since I have freebore in chambers due to some rapid fire issues in my ARs, but if its snug, it can't wobble as easy. I generally have my long range stuff to where I'm either 10th off the rifling or 10th or more engaged, almost soft seated. I deal with that.

What gets folks in trouble with short leades is that ammo is loaded to pressure assuming it'll get a running start at the rifling... and if it does not, if it gets jammed, it can over pressure.

I have a 75 amax deal... I load long single shot rounds and used to load some to mag length. you do NOT even come close to using the same load.

A tight throat will only get you in a bind if you have a fat bullet so to speak.... other than that a tight throat is a good deal, but you didn't want it for "combat" use either.

So the last answer to your last question is yes, you have that right. And before that yes, a short lead can help accuracy.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Jeff, thanks for the reply.

Speaking of single-loading, I was reading The AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide by Walk Kuleck and he had a quick note on the subject basically saying dont do it. He said with single-loading you can just about expect a slam-fire if you do it enough. Why would that be?

Also, do you run a titanium firing pin to reduce the weight and momentum the free-floating pin can gain to mitigate a slam-fire?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What you can do with Walk Kulecks book, is to use it as a fire starter. I wouldn't even use his info to wipe my.....

Lots of good smiths out there that have forgotten more than they know... Walt and bunch over there simply never knew..

As to slam fires... lets see, tween the wife and I, running 8-15K or so rounds a year for many years in the AR, and me loading up to or over 20K including juniors stuff... and being that we've been on state teams for years and private teams for years and so on... I can't quite recall the number of slam fires I've seen... I know Carolyn had one in standing from single loading and Federal primers of which we quit using... Circa 94 or so... thats all I can recall.

I do NOT use titanium because you will pierce more primers than you will have slam fires, and while you can run on a pierced standard pin, a TI one gets one pierce and its useless, what...??60 buck push pin now?

Nope, I've never had a slam fire ever.

Walk Kuleck... if you read some of their older stuff they also said that handloads are dangerous and NOT to ever reload or use reloads...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
This is a buddys book that he let me borrow. LOTS of VERY basic information in that book and last night when I was reading it 10-12 pages of information seemed to be copied illustrations from some sort of manual...

I liked Zedikers book much more (in spite of his writing style). You say "Walt and bunch over there". Where is "there"? I'm assuming he has a shop or something?

Good to know on the TI pin...thanks for saving me some cash (to buy some white lowers with smile )

Last edited by hunt_ak; 02/16/10.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I can't think of Walts bunch.... something ordnance maybe... someone will help me I hope...

Glenn has a lot of info. can't stand his writing though. I liked John Feamsters writing, even if I am briefly mentioned in his book anyway....

BTW keep the muzzle in a safe direction and you won't have to worry when that once in a lifetime slamfire might happen.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

207 members (17CalFan, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 27 invisible), 2,104 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,501
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.