Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thank you, David.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You're welcome.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am coming in a bit late but have two suggestions One is a
service called clear and other is cricket clear starts at
about 25 a month and cricket is about 40 but no long term contracts if they are in the area. Just a suggestion. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paladin
You're welcome.

What town is Ken in?

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Phoenix area, but I'm not sure the town. Apache Junction comes to mind, but I don't find a reference to it anywhere.

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its Apache Junction. My wife and I were up to visit him last night with some stuff that he needed. Ken seemed to be doing fairly well, and I truly beleive they are taking pretty good care of him. We had a chat, and he was please to meet my wife.
I am going to head back up Sunday in the a.m. again.
tom

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, Thomas Magnum, for your constancy in visiting Ken and being a fine go-between to help get important things done for him. Your positive assessment (and your wife's) of his current care and surroundings is comforting to those who care so much about Ken here in his home area. As soon as this snow quits and we can plow our way out of here we will get to his place, gather up the various items he has requested and get them to Ken down there in the low country. I am looking forward to seeing and visiting with him the following weekend.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paladin
Phoenix area, but I'm not sure the town. Apache Junction comes to mind, but I don't find a reference to it anywhere.

Odd that there is no WiFi available there. Gotta be something for Ken.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think it's due to the facility he's in. From what I understand there isn't a hard line to tie into in his room and they don't have a wireless router set up.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not going to be able to get online after tonight until Monday sometime. We having been in the process of moving all week, and tomorrow the big stuff goes with the movers. Our phone and internet can't be set up again until Monday, so if anyone needs to get ahold of me for anything Re: Ken or whatever call the cell number I have given you.

IC B3

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I should be home from Cali late tomorrow night. Saturday I will check into the internet for Ken.

Northcountry, that Cricket idea may work, I'm going to look into that. Looks like a couple hundred to get the modem and the first month, then 50 with fees every month. That's better than over 200.00 a month to verizon. Right now the donation money will be used for connecting Ken to the internet, if there is an objection let me know, using other's money isn't something I'm used to doing.

Thanks, Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hello krp and thanks so much for riding this computer/internet access issue so well. Having this will mean a LOT to Ken and those of us who care about him so much. Gracias Amigo - even though I have yet to meet you in person.
CCCC

Last edited by CCCC; 02/05/10.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
krp Sorry I can't put anything in the pot right but have been un-employed since last Feb./09. Clear is in the area a home
connection starts at 25 a month and their # is 1-888-810-2237
might want to give them a call and see if they are in the area
it would save a few sheckles? Hope that helps Cheers NC
P.S. please give the good Dr. my regards. I was a lucky stiff and
got one of the last of his books.NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
CCCC, hope to meet you if you get down. Anything I can do, even drive up and get stuff, let me know.

NC, thanks for the tips, I really think Cricket will be the way to go. Clear shows Las vegas but not Phoenix, I will call anyway, you may have came up with the answer. Good luck on the job search, it's tough out there, I work about 1/4th of what I usually been for the last 30 years in construction.

I've received 250.00 in donations and will apply that to getting internet and such. Tomorrow I will send each person that I've received from a PM note so you will know yours has arrived, Thanks so much.

Kent

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
If all else fails for Ken's internet access, I have a Sprint Broadband card that plugs into a USB port. It gives decent speed if Sprint has broadband coverage in the area, otherwise it reverts to something similar to "dial-up". I don't know Ken's exact location and don't really trust published coverage maps anyway.

It's not "plug-and-play" but requires a little set-up. The card is on my account and I'm already paying the bill. If there is someone in Ken's area familiar with the card (I believe that it is a Sierra 495), I'll send it to you so that you can try installing it in Ken's computer.

KenOehler

As it was explained to me many years ago, "I feel sorry for those who believe that ballistics is an exact science. They just don't understand the problems."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hello Ken: Have not been in contact with krp this weekend but he may have the internet access issues solved by now. Ken is in a care center in Apache Junction, AZ - next place East of Mesa and both East of Phoenix in the valley about 300 miles from here. I plan to drive down to visit Ken and take some things to him next Saturday and maybe can assist with the internet thing. If it is not up and going by tomorrow, maybe we will ask you to send the card to an address of one of the Campfire guys who lives near Mesa (ThomasMagnum)or to krp who lives in Mesa. Thanks for your generosity. CCCC

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
ARRRRRR!! I looked at alot of options and went with Verizon. Got setup in the store at 4:30 and went over to Ken's, he was asleep. The new laptop will turn on but won't complete the setup, gets passed welcome and then just a blue screen. Turn it off and the screen goes black but will not turn off all the way. I did get it to turn on one time and got connected but the IE would not come on. I fought it for hours, I'll try again tomorrow, I have no idea.

They're putting Ken back in the hospital tomorrow, won't say why or for how long. He just want's to die, get it over with, I don't blame him. I can't go back without internet, that's all he looks forward to and I can't get it to work.

Kent

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My two oldest daughters used some crayons and made some artwork for 'Mr. Ken' this week. We mailed it off tuesday or so. They wanted to mail chicken soup too.

Hopefully it gets to the right location. Prayers continuing.

Last edited by GrizzlyBear; 02/07/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
krp thanks so much for staying with the internet issue - sorry that it is so frustrating. I have not been able to get through to Ken via telephone today. Will take another route and try to find out what is going on with their taking him back to the hospital. It hurts to hear that Ken has slipped back into that poor frame of mind, just when we thought he is going to be able to complete the climb back up. CCCC

K
krp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
I just now was able to get the computer to open up and then have the verizon modem connect again. Still no response to the IE though, I'm connected but no way to use the internet, another whole day wasted and I've spent 800.00 bucks on a new computer and verizon, I can't believe it. I wish I would have never started this.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 49 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,513
Posts18,490,790
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.