Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 32 1 2 3 4 31 32
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Keeping up with Carl aka "The Billy Goat" isn't something I'd wish to try...unless he's carrying my gun/pack/lunch etc..grin

On the dates to hunt. 4 me, I've found that certain parts of the state are good right from Mid April on. But those parts are tough to find. Then there is parts of the state where you'll not be finding bruins till mid May.

And then there's the rest of the state. You'll see some bruins out on the opener. Area depending but many times these will be the juvi's that didn't go very high or far in to go to sleep. And or the mom's that didn't take the pups very far in to sleep either.

Many people say that the first bruins out are the big boars, to date and in watching them and being a student of them for 30+ years I've not found that to be true.

Generally I've found that for most of this state that may 13th is the magic time. That meaning that I feel that there's a vast majority of the bruins out at that time.

And in early to mid may things are just beginning to catch some green. So it tends to keep the bruins in smaller areas, IE you can limit your search areas a bit. As you push on towards late May you'll find that the green is about everywhere. And the bruins can begin to roam a lot more, hence once again making it a bit tougher.

Then in and around Mem day you'll find that the bruins are beginning to think about finding lady friends. The good and the bad to that time to me is such. You may well find a bruiser but if you don't get on him and kill him that night IME you may well not see him again.

Anyway you look at it getting out after spring bruins is an incredibly fun and enjoyable time. Plus it's a better place to work out than the gym.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anyone sides me jonsing to get after it this spring..?

Dober, you're as bad as the boys at the 'horn. wink

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mtmuley
Scorpion, I see you question was answered, but pay close attention as there is a chance that the spring bear season may be extended for 2 weeks in some districts. At our local FWP comment meeting last week, reaction was favorable to it. mtmuley

That is good to hear since in the NW part of MT, many of the bears may still be in the den when the season closes; like 2 yrs ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So are these bear hunts under bait or are they spot and stalk. Bear season sounds like a great time but I am not for the baiting bears hunting. Good luck too you Dober!!! HAPPY HUNTING

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Killing bears if more fun that drowning kittens and I'll be doing it this spring for sure, maybe in a copule of states. I prefer to hunt April 15th through June 15th and have taken good bears on both those dates and many in between.. no magic numbers other than the right weather and good luck..

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ruger243223
So are these bear hunts under bait or are they spot and stalk. Bear season sounds like a great time but I am not for the baiting bears hunting. Good luck too you Dober!!! HAPPY HUNTING

cant bait in Montana

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Sorry fairchase, everything that could be extended is in region 2 and region 3, region 1 won't be affected.
I'm chomping at the bit though, can't wait to get out there and posthole in drifts and be covered in ticks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
no magic numbers other than the right weather and good luck..

Just out of curiousity, what kind of weather is the "right" kind for bears?

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
My wife will be due with our next baby about then so no it is hard to get excited about it, but ya never know.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That IMO would depend on the time of year.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Maybe someday Montana will get over the anti-baiting crap. mtmuley

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I'm beyond excited for burrr season. Had a trip planned last year that was canceled due to my then wife coming to her senses and giving me the boot... cry

But this year it is on like donkey-kong my campfire friends. I'm going with that azzhat DanAdair. But don't tell him I referred to him as an azzhat until after the season closes. grin

Travis

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Goin from an ex-wife to Adair....

Doooooood.... thats a toss-up.... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rl11
Sorry fairchase, everything that could be extended is in region 2 and region 3, region 1 won't be affected.
I'm chomping at the bit though, can't wait to get out there and posthole in drifts and be covered in ticks.

Region 1 is where 3/4 of the bears are harvested so I can see why that area has the shortest season and would never consider a lengthened season. Live in Bozeman but the wife's parents live on Bull Lake and the amt of bears in region 1 can be crazy at times. This past fall while elk bow hunting, on ONE day I saw 6 different bears. Living in a state (MT) that does not allow baiting, I really do not feel that we are at a disadvantage; although I am sure that baiting would lead to more dead bears.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

I personally sure hope it doesn't.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mark, Post up a pic or two of some of those honkers you've taken....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross

I personally sure hope it doesn't.

I'm with you Carl, that's not something I'd care to see and I really don't think we need to worry about it much either.

Dober

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
A lot of Montana topography lends itself to spot and stalk bear hunting better than some other places. Where that's available, it's the most fun hunt IMO.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What's the problem with baiting? mtmuley

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bait hunting is for pussies and makes the bears hang where they won't naturally hang in the spring, on steep green up south facing hillsides and slides.. laugh

Page 2 of 32 1 2 3 4 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,789 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,481
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.