-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Randy...that was a Marlin 39A my pard was packin in that photo... I usually use my Ruger 77/22 VBZ or a .22 handgun..though the old eyes don't get as many with the handgun anymore!

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
I have posted this before, and you might have seen it..
I always equated going to Africa with falling in love for the first time...

Remember I said this...

After you have hunted Africa, you will never have a day in your life pass, when you don't think of her...

Ingwe

I can verify that this is absolutely true, and going on 22 years for me.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
23 for me....

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Howdy. Well I lived the plan today. Quail hunted for about 4 hours. It was a nice walk. No quail. Depressing in that I can't recall the last time I went to this place and didn't find at least 1 covey. I'm really afraid the ice storm last year did'em in. Anyway, the girls and I had a nice walk.

After the afternoon nap, it was back to the bench. I will say this gun is consistent. The 165 Nosler BT's and the 180 gr Hornady SP's averaged 1.5" All-in-all, it ain't that bad (I've never cared about the last quarter inch or so of a group), but it does tend to string groups. So. . .

Its all disassembled and is in my gun cradle. I'll be removing the pressure point over the next several days. While I'm at it, the very front of the floor plate is about 1/8" above flush to the wood, so, that'll get corrected too. Even if the groups don't substantially shrink, at least this should eliminate the tendency to string.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
I have posted this before, and you might have seen it..
I always equated going to Africa with falling in love for the first time...

Remember I said this...

After you have hunted Africa, you will never have a day in your life pass, when you don't think of her...

Ingwe

yup!!!! jorge

I can verify that this is absolutely true, and going on 22 years for me.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too have a CDL 30-06 that I haven't done anything to other than lighten the trigger.

I tried IMR 4064 as Barnes recommended as the most accurate load for the 168 TSX. The 4064 in my rifle did out shoot both the 4350's, and as many suggested to me, the max load shot the best, 50grns 4064.

I'm headed back to the range tomorrow to try some increased loads 50.5, 51, 51.5, 52. I'll be looking for pressure signs and accuracy, if both of those are OK, then I'll be over the max Barnes recommended.

Their load clocked in right at 2800, so if tomorrow's load pan out, I will then clock them, if they reach 2900 and hold accuracy, that will be my load, if not I'll settle for 2800.

I know your post is more about rifle bedding, but I thought the TSX input might help you out.

Good luck.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Well, I killed the pressure point and finally had a chance to shoot it this afternoon. Group size was reduced by over 30%. YIPPEE! Better still, the groups are now ROUND. Max loads of H4350 and 165 gr NBT's averaged just over an inch and the same under 180gr Hornady SP's average 1.25". I'll give the TSX's a whirl tomorrow.

As for 4064, I have not used that powder and have none on my shelf. I know a lot of guys have used to great success. I'm curious if anyone has used RL19 in their '06's?

Last edited by Huntaria_Setters; 01/29/10. Reason: cause I overestimated the percentage reduction
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
congratulations! it seems you found the bedding problem. rifles are much more fun when they are accurate arent they? i have used both 4064 and reloader 19 and while my results weren't nearly as good as imr 4350 yours might vary.-keith

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good news HS...you're off and running now! grin

Ingwe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm afraid I'm going to have to put you on ignore. An O/U shotgun for quail, jeez.

I use this old clunker, but I do need to get a 28 or at the very least a 20.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man, in Oklahoma we shoot quail with unplugged 12 ga Remington 1100s! grin

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Huntaria,

It has astonished me for at least 35 years that Remington continues to put pressure points in their 700 forends, when 700's almost always shoot better without 'em.

But then again, life is full of astonishment.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Kinda like yours when I asked if I should float my M7 CDL...and you said...

" You haven't done that yet..???" shocked

Ingwe

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I believe my eyebrows even went up....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Huntaria,

It has astonished me for at least 35 years that Remington continues to put pressure points in their 700 forends, when 700's almost always shoot better without 'em.

Same with the old Sako A series Hunter models. They have pressure points for no good reason.

Can you or anyone else explain ol' Elmer's love of the pressure point.? In his Gun Notes column, he once made the statement "Free floating is for the birds."

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I don't recall about pressure points but he believed in full length barrel bedding. He thought it was more accurate. I can't say why.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I'll dig it out of Gun Notes (don't remember if its Vol 1 or 2). But he not only said free floating was for the birds but he did say he preferred (and I'm trying to quote from memory), some "nice up push from the stock".

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I too remember Keith liking full length bedding...and Ive actually done that on two rifles, both with short Rigby-esque forends....

Hate to say it...but it worked both times!!! grin

Ingwe

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I too remember Keith liking full length bedding...and Ive actually done that on two rifles, both with short Rigby-esque forends....

Hate to say it...but it worked both times!!! grin

Ingwe

Ingwe, I'll bet ya a beer that they bedded rifles that way because bullets were not what they are today;they probably set up weird crazy vibrations that were tamed somewhat by full length bedding.....some evidence of this is when you freel-float and glass bed an old pre 64 ,and feed it modern bullets....they shoot like match rifles...even the ones that you don't free float shoot well with modern slugs..Just a guess of course smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You may very well have a point there Bob...never thought of it, but I'm sure at least jacket/core concentricity issues have been resolved over the years....especially since the days of Nosler turning bullets on a lathe....
Not to mention monometals, where concentricity is a non-issue..

ingwe

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think so!Maybe not all the barrels were as good either....but I dunno as lots of old barrels show great accuracy today with modern,concentric boolits.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,180 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,728
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.