Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
First post over here and let me state upfront that I wouldn't try to build one myself, BUT... I have the chance to buy 2 old Eddystones, one's been sporterized the other has not. The one that has not been converted is missing the for-stock in front of the rear barrel band. basically it's in rough shape and not a collector, but the action looks good.

I'm wondering what caliber choices I could go with if I were to have one built on this action based on the bolt head size? Also, what's an average cost to have a barrel mated to an action (labor)? I realize barrel prices are all over the place and I haven't thought about stocks, but I thought it might be neat to save this old action. I'm trying to justify the money in my mind.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've made them into 30-06 custom and 300 Win Mag. They are very strong actions and very, very hard....machining requires good carbide to open up the bolt face and drilling and tapping for scopes is no picnic either.

The other issue is cocking on closing....I converted mine to cock on opening with a kit purchased from Brownells, I think. I don't know if it's still available or not. That sure made the bolt work smooth though.

That said, if I had to do it all over again...I'd probably opt for something else.

But, if it's something you'd like to try...I wouldn't stand in your way.

Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As has been discussed in other forums, there is really no difference in cock on open/close when hunting is concerned.

Each has his own preference, but in shooting a N05 Jungle Carbine, and a Mauser 98 at bowling pins at 100 yards, I can honestly tell you I have no preference either way.

The eddystones work well with just about any mid range 30-06 based cartrige.

For a basic hunting rig, get a Boyds classic in regular walnut, and a 24" F34 contour Adams and Bennett 30-06 barrel, and you'll be sitting pretty with a drill and tap for scope mounts.

You can put as much money as you want into them though. Grade xxx walnut, and a Hart, Shilen, Pac-nor tube, VX series loopy or zeiss, kahles etc.

Putting a barrel on can start as low as $75, and work well over $150. It all depends on machine work required. If it is fully threaded and short chambered it will be slightly cheaper on average. If it is a rinished blank and requires threading, crown work, etc etc, your cost goes up.

I have been thinking of building one into a 9.3 variant, but I can't bring myself to tear mine apart. I'll have to find a beater first.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Although the bolt face would need to be opened, a .375 H&H works well. I have one that has had a lot of work done on it - magazine/floorplate flattened, cock on opening, ears milled off and drilled/tapped with a scope, a sporter stock (Fajen? Bishop?) but with the original barrel still on it with a ramp front sight.

I have thought about having a .375 or even a .416 made on it.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
action is supposed to be one of the strongest, albeit a little heavy.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Savage2005
As has been discussed in other forums, there is really no difference in cock on open/close when hunting is concerned.

Disagree on that point. I hate having the bolt hang up just a bit and then have the spring loaded bolt fly open. If live, it ejects the cartridge 10' away...if carrying empty, there's the potential for dirt and debris....But to each his own.

Steve

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks for the info. I was actually thinking about going to a small(er) round like a 243/308 or something like that. I realize these are considered long actions but is that a huge problem?

Last edited by bbassi; 01/29/10.

For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It all depends on if you're paying attention or not. Yeah, I can flick the No5 open and it'll throw the bolt back and spit the round out. I can also ease the bolt open.

I like the cock on closing as there is less effort to open the action when you've selected a specimen for harvesting. The way I cycle the bolt, there is minimal if almost no effort to roll my wrist over and chamber the round.

Again, it's all personal preference as to how each person works an action.

Now to the next question

Putting something like a .308 in an action like that can be done. On my mauser, I left it, but most people will fashion a block to go in the rear of the magazine well to take up the slack space and fashion a new follower (Read more cost).

If you want a .308 based cartridge, you're better off going with an intermediate length Mauser (Yugo 24/47). It's a tad shorter than a standard M98 action and works great for building .308's. It is already cock on opening (if that's what you wish), and scope bases are much easier to find and drill and tap for.

You can always tone down the loads of a 30-06 as well.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
going to be damn heavy gun if its in 243.....have one made into a 338-06 and would be alot happier if it was a pound lighter but with this action it aint possible.....if your looking for a 308 based round i would look for a different action.....

as for the cock on closing/opening thing doesnt bug me, have 3 guns i can use for hunting that are cock on closing and a couple cock on opening....for a hunting gun i switch back and forth and dont notice anything....would hate cock on closing for a dedicated target or prairie dog gun that was mainly going to be shot off a rest....shooting off hand i truly dont notice the difference between the two....dont prefer either just really do not notice when i switch from one to the other....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I find it hard to use cock on closing on the sandbags as it pushes the rifle around in the bags. With a well build open cocker, it is alot easier to move the rifle less.

NRA Life Member
IC B3

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
thanks again. I offered the guy a Benjarmin for the sporterized one. I'm thinking I'll offer another $50 for the beater. that way if it sits on the shelf for a few years it's no big deal. It's better than letting him toss it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started with a 1917 as my first centerfire rifle, so I "grew up on" the cock on closing feature. I actually found it wierd to have the bolt so hard to open on other actions. wink A lot of people say they prefer the cock on close versus on opening for a dangerous game rifle. I have no such opinion, never having hunted dangerous game.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$150 for 2 of em is a good deal. Get some surp 30-06 and play with em till you figure it out.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They may just shoot very well. The Enfield style rifling wears well.Two P-17s and a P-14 did for me. I shot the P-14 every range day with battle sights until I got adjutable iron sights for it.I soon changed the stock,though,to a Boyds JRS.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't see using the big heavy action unless you're building something big. My first 458 lott was built on an enfield, and my 500 Jeffrey is built on an enfield.

The cock on closing never bothered me, but the dogleg bolt has to go on a rifle with heavy recoil, as it will hit your fingers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thats my take on them......will likely turn my 338-06 into something else down the line, 416 Ruger or Taylor......maybe a 458 Win.....and i agree that bolt handle is gonna rap the knuckles good under heavy recoil.....course at 9.5 pound ready to hunt my 338-06 dont recoil grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1917 Eddystone actions=HEAVY.
But, there aren't many other flies on that action. Best safety design ever.
I had one in a custom 30-06, and when I was in my 20's and 30's didn't think too much about how heavy the rifle was.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Just this past week we took in an old Remington Model 30 in 06. Nice old rifle, but it had been re-blued (should have seen that receiver color!!!!)and the stock cut down, but the bore was very nice. Remington modified all their old M17 surplus actions into sporting tifles. Also see the Remington Model 720!

The only real problem I've ever run into with the M17 action (aside from it's robustness) is sometimes the ejector can be a bit mushy. The ejector spring is prone to breakage. If one experiences this problem, I believe that several places (like Numrich) offer a coil spring ejector that can be used to replace the old flat spring model. Anyone else encounter this situation???

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mine seems to do well, but I'll keep an eye on it.

I also like the safety design.

Hot loads in the 30-06 don't bother either as the thing is so clunky. If you want to hump it over the hills and through the trees like the men of 90+ years ago (albeit without the mustard gas, explosions, and bullets whizzing by), go right ahead smile .

NRA Life Member
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Just this past week we took in an old Remington Model 30 in 06. Nice old rifle, but it had been re-blued (should have seen that receiver color!!!!)and the stock cut down, but the bore was very nice. Remington modified all their old M17 surplus actions into sporting tifles. Also see the Remington Model 720!

The only real problem I've ever run into with the M17 action (aside from it's robustness) is sometimes the ejector can be a bit mushy. The ejector spring is prone to breakage. If one experiences this problem, I believe that several places (like Numrich) offer a coil spring ejector that can be used to replace the old flat spring model. Anyone else encounter this situation???

Bob
I love reading about the old 1917's becasue I got one when I was 13 years old. I loved that rifle even though it was very heavy (around 11 pounds) because it had a bull barrel and the action is built like a tank. I shoot left handed and liked the big dog leg bolt because it made it easier to operate. I didn't mind the cock on closing as many guys don't. I've researched this and many guys prefer this feature because the guns (modified 1917's) with the cock on opening are known to have some issues regarding safety. Some have fired when the safety lever is pushed forward because of the extra heavy spring you have to use when you convert it and also you have to be careful to time the safety and the trigger sear when you put the speed lock kit in. Seems like a big hassle to me for the little bennifit you get. Yes I will agree that the bolt is easier to close when it is converted to cock on open, but I don't think you will ever notice when you are out hunting. As far as using the action for such small calibers, I think that is like sacrilege. The action is BIG and heavy, you can use cartridges that require stove pipe for casing a dump truck for the powder and a wheelbarro full of lead for load data. The ejector spring will break on you if it is not already broken. Don't buy one from numrich or any other place. I've got some ball point pens around here missing the coil springs, but my m1917's always eject with ease.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 260Remguy, 257_X_50, 28 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,191
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.