Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would think that he would be more prone to protecting some newbie from siezing up the bolt on his action.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by splattermatic
he doesn't want to get jumped on....

Getting jumped on isn't a big thing to me, when I do something stupido I kind of expect it, years of playing ball in high school and college taught me that.. wink

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keith-my long barreled 270 was a Lilja #2 cut to 25". I ran top end "book loads" and got the following speeds.

130/135's=3200 to 3300 (lot of powder depending)
140's= 3050-3100 (lot of powder depending)
150's= 3K and a bit more (lot of powder depending)

I pretty much used R22 for all this work and most of this work with the long tube was done back in 2003-2005. I generally ran 59/22 with the 130's, 58 with the 140's and 57 with the 150's if I recall right.

Shortly after that I cut the tube to 23" (didn't like the long feel on a mtn rifle and it wouldn't fit my scabbard @ 25") and I also began to adopt the idea of once I find out what top end speed is for a rig I then drop off 100 fps and hunt/shoot/practice with it.

I run dotz on my hunting rigs so for me it just doesn't matter if I am at this or that speed as I can set them up to hit to 500 real easily at about any speed.

Make no doubt about it I've spent my time in the red zone, I've popped my share of primers and I've had cases primer pockets loosen up way too early. I like to think that since then I've learned a bit and go about it just a bit easier. 4 the most part... smile

Shoot straight!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And if I recall right JB ran a 26" tubed 270 about the same time and while we've not comped notes it seems to me that he was in the same ballpark in terms of speed.

So bring on the flames boys....grin

Dober

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i feel as you do..
it's only the internet as well !

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amen to that! U ever sort out a buff hunt?

I'm for thinking that'd be a good way to honor your friend by using his big 33 to roast one of those buggers. Plus if you did it here I'd drive out to watch. And then we could hit the Madison with some dry's for the afternoon.

Dober

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
oh....
it would bring back memories.
used to fish below the dam, up near great falls,,,, cascade iirc....

also, works been REAL slow, so it's not in the cards..er.. i mean wallet just yet...

spending more time at home due to the mud and snow, than doing any kind of work...

looking for a new job now, might haul gasoline if i can get hired on.
tired of the oil field, getting too old.
put an app., in yesterday with western refining down here. we'll see.
starting to starve, so gotta look since no work is going on...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hear you there, I work in real estate and while I've not missed any meals I am a bit skinnier.

The area you're talking about I lived next to for 15 years and fished it a lot. Now I live back in Boze and love the fishing over here just as much. Life is good on a nice summer night hitting a good hatch.

Dober

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dober: Seems like 25" 270's kick up their heels....Fred Barker had a great article on the 270 in Precision Shooter IIRC, with powders like MRP II,and RL 25 in the 270....he was getting your velocities from a 25" PacNor on an FN Mauser..

I've posted this before,but the Barnes listed max load of RL 25 with the Barnes 130 XLC did 3200 from my 22" M70 Classic FW.

Most of us(me included) get in a rut with powders in the 270...it can benefit from slower burners than the H4831 range.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Mark, that is some great info for sure. Sure is an eye opener as to the possibilities....especially out of a Non Magnum.

I remember that I had a friend put together a 270 with a 29" Hart Barrel for shooting Rock chucks and long range jack Rabbits.
I believe that he was shooting the 90g Sierra Hp in the ~3750 fps range. This 270 was brutal wicked on chucks and vaporized jack rabbits.

No doubt the common sense custom 270 with the long barrel would make a lot of folks scratch their heads.

Thanks for sharing

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by red_alder_ranch
You know, I am pretty new to guns in general, and loading in particular. I know enough to know that I know very little. I read these forums looking to learn new things about these topics.

But I am NOT new to dealing with people, and when I see the kind of aggressive, verbally abusive, arrogant kind of demeanor that you are putting out there, LASSIE, I automatically disregard everything you're saying. It doesn't matter to me if you are 100% right, 50% right, or 100% wrong, you're being an arrogant jerk and that's enough to cause me to move on and seek knowledge elsewhere. Besides, I can't find anything in this or other threads that establishes anything about your "credentials" other than your belligerent and oft-repeated Very High Opinion of Yourself.

You've had people gently point out that more flies are caught with honey, yet you continue to barge ahead, shouting insults at anyone who questions you. You say that you're old and that makes you so much smarter than everyone else here, but you come off like a 20 year old who hasn't learned yet that he doesn't know everything about everything, and also as one who never paid very much attention in high school English classes.

It's possible that you have some good points to make, but you're sure not making them with me.

here is the opinion about all you smart asses from the other gun sites on the web.
------------------------------------------------
My accurate .257Wby load is a 100gr Sierra at 4010. Your 25-06AI is doing very well and I've no doubts that it really does that. But you wouldn't believe how many people just don't get it.....that when things all work together, performance is way above what the loading manuals say. Over on 24hr campfire forum there's a dust-up over .257Wby and 25-06AI performance, pressure, etc.

More ignorance on that board than you could imagine.

Post your numbers over there and see what I mean.
So just keep spreading your ignorance every where the truth is out now about all of you. So now you can see why people that really knows what they are talking about don't come here to this site. to much stupity here ! ! ! I made a big mistake thinking you all know about guns too

Last edited by LASSIE; 02/05/10.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by LASSIE
[quote=red_alder_ranch] So now you can see why people that really knows what they are talking about don't come here to this site.

Not to worry. I don't take firearms/reloading advice from people who can't construct a sentence without embarrassing themselves.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
LASSIE..........

[Linked Image]

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
LMAO... You're incorrigible.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
ASSIE......do you really think anyone here gives two [bleep] what other people on other boards think......Why post here if the place is full of dolts and you've got another board that shares your rational? Cause little boy blue likes to blow his own horn. Some of your supporters tried to bring some civility back to the thread but you came and crapped a fat turd on it again....

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by himmelrr
Tell me about the 257 Weatherby...

It's faster than the 250 Savage but not as fast as the 220 Swift, fantasy handloading to the contrary...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 61 invisible), 2,825 guests, and 1,463 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,752
Posts18,476,274
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.