Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I do not know if they are still available, but some one used to make a sling swivel for the Rem 760 and 742 which mounted on the end of the forearm mounting tube. I remember trying to get Dad to put one on his 06, but he always said that if the rifle wasn't in the saddle scabbard, it belonged in his hands.
He never had any use for a sling. I have never been able to convince him that the sling can be used as an accuracy aid. And I won't even repeat what he says when I try to get him to switch to a bolt rifle.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
IDAHO SHOOTER - "I do not know if they are still available, but some one used to make a sling swivel for the Rem 760 and 742 which mounted on the end of the forearm mounting tube."
Idaho Shooter, you are certainly correct. I have one on my Rem. 742 .308 Win. Put it on years ago, but can't remember the name of the company that makes it. It allows the sling swivel to rotate, free of any pressure on the forearm.

Cabela "might" carry them.(???)

They definitely work, I assure you.

FWIW. L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BCBrian, my story echo's yours, I made fun of my dad and his 30-06 pump 7600, but I packed it Azone hunting last year for a blacktail. I pulled on a forked horn, pushing a creek, and as fate would have it, I missed. Without lowering the rifle, I stayed on target, and cycled another round in very easy, and dropped the buck. The first shot was my fault, I wasnt used to his hard trigger pull, but the rifle easily shoots 1 1/2 at 100 yards, which is hunting accurate, and I could get the trigger tweeked. I gave his rifle to my oldest boy as his deer rifle. Actually, I gave both of my boy's one of his guns, and I gave dad's other two grandson's of my sister's each one of his shotguns. I kept his guns that I cherished, hunting with them as a boy. I can live with my oldest packing his 7600, last year my oldest boy took a 4 X 3 muley 24 wide, 22 high in Idaho. Same thing, I love my bolts, but that pump gun is a winner.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IDAHO SHOOTER,
If you look on gunbroker you can find the sets that mount in the end of the pump. I have heard one complaint though. People have said that by mounting the sling on the end of the pump, it puts extra presure on it and will loosen the pump a bit. If this is true, I don't know because I mount my sling studs to the barrel. If you want to make a 760 or 7600 look neat, use a mount for a Marlin. The half barrel band looks pretty good and it is something you don't see that often. The reason I did it was because I bought a 7600 Carbine in 35 Rem from Grice's and a standard barrel band would not fit the rilfe.

The more you know, the less you need.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
We bought my son a 7600(blue syn, .308), and it's VERY accurate! In fact it's what he used last Sat to take his first buck(that's it in the pic on that post) (grin)

If you try 'em, I'm betting you'll LOVE 'em! They shoot great, come up fast,and on target, his trigger is fine(though not a custom, fine for a 300 yard shot at least, as I've seen him shoot it that far, very well indeed!).

BTW he's 16, and that's what HE wanted( I tried to get him to go with a bolt, but it was a "no go", had to have the pump), and it had to be a .308! (guess he's fairly bright after all, the buck died right there!!) (big grin)

Reloaders Haul Brass!
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Didn't they make a run of these in 35 whelen? Does anyone know if they are still available? Might make an interesting brush gun!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Remington has done runs of the 7600's in 35 Whelen. These are usually sold through Grice's in Clearfield, PA. Right now, Grice's is selling 700 CDL's in 35 Whelen. They are typically the exclusive seller of those rifles.

"The peasants may be conned by every pitchman that introduces a new super magnum, but the members of the cognoscenti stick with classic calibers." Jack O'Conner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gunbroker, AuctionArms, and Guns America all have the 35 Whelen's for sale on them.

The more you know, the less you need.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Based on the responses here there must have been zillions of these pumps cranked out. I have my late father's 760 Gamemaster 30-06 be bought when they first came out, in 1950 or so. I will not forget he and his friends practicing on the range with their rifles getting ready for a moose hunt in B.C. My father shot a 1" group with his 760 and fixed 4x Bausch & Lomb scope (the one with the adjustments in the mount). His two buddies had glass bedded Model 70's and he outshot them. There's no way I would ever part with this old gun, but I have to admit I've never really cared for it. I'm a lot shorter than my father and have shorter arms, and I've always had problems with fit. Reading "Bighorn's" comments about shortening the stock is of some interest to me, so maybe I'll try that.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I second, third or fourth most everything mentioned. I have a Model 6 Remington (a 7600 with a cheek piece) in 30-06 and love it. It is not uncomfortable for me to cycle the action at all but really natural making followup shots at running game aslo very natural to me. I cut my teeth on an 870 12 gauge so that may explain that somewhat. These are great guns and merit all the praise they have received.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I keep thinking about getting a thumbhole stock for my 7600, but so far have not found one being made. I did fin however that the thubhole stock boyds makes for the 870 pump would fit with minor wood working. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Considering the popularity of these guns it is surprising that noone has ever offered and aftermarket trigger.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (257 roberts, 1234, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,367 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,576
Posts18,532,087
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.