Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Make yourself right at home. If there is anything at all that I can do for you, just email me at webmaster@24hourcampfire.com.<P>Enjoy.<P>Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A lever action section huh? Wow, that's all I needed was another section to check. Ok, here's my lever action post:<P>I own a lever action. Marlin .30-30 made in late 1890's. I have a pic of my great grandpa holding in about 1911. He standing with two friends and the sorriest looking hound dog I ever saw. Great pic. Maybe I'll post it sometime.<P>Wade

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I saw a Win 94/22 for sale the other day. I had sticker shock! $400.00 I did not think my ol lever gun was worth that. Not gonna sell it it shoot too well, anyway dad gave to me as christmas gift loooonnnng time ago in a place far far away...

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is truely an honor to have a lever action spot. On second thought is just to keep lever action talkers from poluting the other spots? That's a joke, they have always been my favorite.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That was fast, did anybody ever ask Shooters for a new folder.<BR>Any way mine is the Marlin 1895M 450. Set Wild West Guns Ghost ring sight w/fibre optic post for 100 yards, and the Burris 2.75x Scout scope mounted on the Ashley scout mount for 150 yards.<BR>The only complaint I have is the god-awfull noise. When I take it to the range. They clear benches on both sides.<P>Phil

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Theres never too many levergun sites.HEY BW,I made it(toms718).!!Hopefully this site will take off.OH,bye the way,Thanks for the site RICK.~~~~toms<p>[This message has been edited by levergunz (edited January 30, 2001).]

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hey Grayghost.You been here before??I'm "toms" from the OTHER site.I changed my name again.~~~~~~toms

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Welcome Toms: Yea! I've been kind of just floatin all around the net. Just tryin to fit in here and there. Try to keep the same Handle, haven't had a problem with that yet! Been using it ever since I started driving truck. Some 30+ Years.<P>Phil

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
BW, I was just at your site and left a note for Doc, Toms and the rest of the guys asking them to move here. I think that would be great.......deadeye

So far, this is the oldest I've ever been.
Some days you're the dog. Some days you're the hydrant.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Toms I didn't realize you were here already. How many alias's do you have now? [Linked Image].......deadeye

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't forget me! I found this site, actually I followed everyone else, then done seen this leverguns board and had to walk in.<BR>Toms... Those stainless M92 45LC's are sold out again(at the disrtubutors). Word is they don't know when a shipment will come in, and the demand is very high on account of the cowboy action shooting sport, they expect the sell out in short order. He'll keep looking, I'll keep waiting, but may go the stainless Guide Gun route. But I hate those dang ports! Time will tell... <BR>Well, anyway he ordered me a stainless 22 bolt action rifle. ~~~Suluuq

BW Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
<B>Very nice too see some of you making it over here!</B><P>I know this website is faster than mine, and whenever there's a problem, the webdude is easy to find! <P>Thanks Rick!<P>Oh yeah...<P>Mines a Marlin 444SS, got about a 22" barrel and the pistol grip style stock. I've added Asley Outdoors Ghost Rings sights.<P><P>------------------<BR>Brian<BR><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/" TARGET=_blank>The 416 Taylor WebPage!</A>

Brian

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A month and a half ago I bought a Marlin 1895, and haven't had a chance to fire it yet. It has a straight stock and a 22" microgroove barrel. Does anyone else have this configuration? I ask because I find I can not position my shooting hand correctly with three fingers in the lever, and need to put my pinky behind the trigger guard as though I were wearing gloves. Does anyone else shoot their .45-70 this way? I am concerned about how the rifle will behave in recoil with my little finger behind the trigger guard. Why did the put such a small lever on that rifle?

Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Youper: Wild West Guns, will fix you right up for about a $100 Bucks. They make both a medium, and a large lever, for using gloves in cold weather. I'm waiting for one my self.<P>Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks. Where can I find these guys?

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Youper: Sorry, I think its: <A HREF="http://www.wildwestguns.com" TARGET=_blank>www.wildwestguns.com</A><P>Phil

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hi Rusty,BW,Deadeye.~~~Hey deadeye,i have a different alias for every site now.I even changed my name at shooters.~~~~Hey Rusty,i talked to my dealer about a "navy arms"92 stainless.He told me the distributor has a few octagon and round barrel models in stock and in 45LC too.(20" barrels)The dealer told me the distributors name is GZANDERS but they will only talk to you if you have a FFL.<BR>~~~~~~toms

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
MARLIN STAINLESS GUIDEGUN<BR>I ran out of patients today,so i called Marlin to see about the stainless guideguns.Marlin told me they won't be ready and shipped out until april.~~~~~~~Darn~~~Maybe i'll buy something else now and start saving my pennies for april.~~~~~~toms

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I only have 3 leverguns.All Marlins.A 336SC IN 30-30,A 375 MODEL IN 375 WIN,AND A 444SS IN 444 MARLIN.~~~~STILL NOT ENOUGH !!!!<BR>MORE MARLINS,MORE MARLINS,MORE MARLINS .<BR>~~~~~~~toms

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
If we can wish, I would wish for a Marlin 45/70 Sainless, 24" Octagon Barel, Laminated Stock, and Large Loop Lever. Wouldn't leave much to add to the factory rifle.<P>Phil

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Glad to see your here Toms. I to would like to buy more Marlins but my wife has a few places that she wants to spend some of my (our) money. Like a new patio and rugs for the house, ahh.... the list is too long. That new stainless sure would be nice....oh well I can dream.......deadeye

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Lever fans: A friend and I are getting a SS .45/70 Guide Gun as soon as they are available (April according to an earlier post here). This will be strictly for bear protection while fishing in the Alaska back country. Do you recommend the Ashley Ghost Ring sight? Any words of wisdom on bullets, powder, cases will be appreciated. FYI, MPI stocks in Portland OR makes a fiber glass stock for them. Ol Grouch

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Levergunz... (one of the coolest handles going!) Thanks. Now, let me bring you up to speed. The stainless bolt action 22 is unavalable where he gets guns from, so I asked him to check into a stainless guidegun, now it seems as the guide guns won't be available until April! Well, I will notify my buddy of GZangers, and get me a stainless M92, like I originally wanted! <BR>Phone number for Gzanders? Web site? Thanks, Toms ~~~Suluuq (please, please, Lord, let me have a stainless levergun!)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ol Grouch... the guide Gun is a fine rifle to have for bear protection. You can use Buffalo Bore Ammo, Garrett's, or Corbon ammo for this purpose if you don't hand load. If you do, I suggest a hardcast bullet with a wide meplat(flat point), like Cast Preformance bullets. Some shooters favor ghost ring sights, like the Ashley set, for quick sighting. I favor a standard set of iron sights, using a square notch rear, patridge front. Keep us posted of any bear encounters and the results. ~~~Suluuq

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hey Rusty,I read tour post today at work.I got the info for you after work.Gzanders has a site <A HREF="http://www.gzanders.com" TARGET=_blank>www.gzanders.com</A> or your dealer can call 1-800-851-4373.The Navy arms aren't cheap so expect to pay probably 450-500 for a round barrel and 500-550 for a octagon barrel.Stainless steel of course.They are a copy of the win 92.I was looking at Navy arms web site.Gzanders is located in ILLINOIS.I hope this helps.Good luck!~~toms

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Rusty,I even got part numbers for you.(for gzanders)all these numbers are stainless guns and 45 colt cal.GS92S45 FOR OCTAGON 20",<BR>GC92S45 FOR ROUND 20",GR92S45 FOR OCTAGON 24 1/4 BARREL.~~~~~`Have fun shopping~~~toms

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Youper, I'm sorry I got in here a little late. The Marlin you have is the 1895T. Microgroove and straight stock. I've had mine since 1977 and obviously love it. I just bought my second order of 1000 405gr Remingtons which I believe are the best all around bullets for this gun. They don't shoot as well as the 300gr but boy do they perform. They expand to an inch in diameter and hold together real well with up to 99% weight retention. They might fall apart too much on big bear but for deer and elk in timber they are dynamite. 405gr Rem, 55gr of H322, WW cases, CCI-350 primers, 2.54" COAL, 1900fps.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Levergunz... thanks. We are checking with Ganders tomorrow! Wish me the best. I want one so bad, it feels good! ~~~Suluuq

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Rusty,Good luck with your purchase.The dealer said Gzanders has all the numbers i listed for you in stock(at least 3 ) as of feb 1.~~~I just ordered my 1894 cowboy 45 yesterday.It should be here next week.Isn't it nice to have friends in "just the right places"~~~~~~~~~toms

W
WPA Offline
W
Jackfish, When I load the 405 gr. R-P's in my Marlin, they end up being a touch too long. Even when seated to the second cannelure in trimmed cases, they will sometimes fail to cycle thru the action. I have to then go thru all sorts of prying to get the round out of the action. Apparently, you don't have this problem. Are you doing something special to make them feed? My rifle was made in 1975. Are the action lengths different now?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Toms... i called them today, and they are out of the round barrel version, but do have the "short rifle" octagon barrel. the price quoted me is $445.00. I don't know if it was Dealer or Customer price, though. The fastest Ican make the order is tomorrow, but most likely on Monday. I hope thys don't run out before I can claim one! Thanks, friend, you've made my life a happy one. ~~~Suluuq

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Rusty,it's the least i could do to help a friend and a fellow Marliner.I knew for quite some time it was a wish of yours to get a stainless levergun.I'm just glad to help.I've never owned a 45LC of anything.I'm glad my new 45 cowboy is finally almost here.My new rifle should be here mid next week.I can hardly wait as i'm sure you can hardly wait also.I almost got a trapper winchester but at the last minute i decided to get the marlin CB.KEEP ME POSTED~~~toms

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Rusty,I can always cut the barrel down on my cowboy if i feel the need to have a trapper version.~~~toms

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
WPA, I don't seat it to the second or top cannelure. Notice the thin crimp above the top cannelure, seated to this you get an OAL of about 2.54" which feeds very well through the Marlin 1895. You can still crimp the bullet sufficiently as well.<p>[This message has been edited by jackfish (edited February 04, 2001).]

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I have two Marlins: a 336CS in 30-30 and a 1895SS. The 30-30 has factory sights and the 45-70 has Ashley peep sights on it. Jackfish, do you not find that 405gr bullet at 1900fps rather stout? [Linked Image] I loaded some up at 1700fps with 50 gr of AA2495 and decided they were too much. I went to 31 gr of XMP5744 but have not chronoed them yet. I'm guessing they are around 1400 fps. I haven't shot a deer with my 45-70 yet, but I can't wait to see how it performs. -kgonzo<P>------------------<BR>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
kgonzo, yes the 405gr at 1900fps is a full power load and is stout. However, I have added a recoil pad to this rifle which makes it bearable in the field. Actually I don't even notice this recoil when shooting at game. For extended shooting on the bench I place more padding between the rifle and my shoulder and actually set the scope back to accomodate this. Oh yeah, try using a slower powder, that can help. H322 is one of the slowest powders that work well in the 45/70.<p>[This message has been edited by jackfish (edited February 05, 2001).]

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Jackfish, sorry it took so long to get back, I was out of town. So rate of powder burn influences perceived recoil? I had wondered about that but I figured that muzzle velocity was what mostly determined recoil all else being equal, i.e. bullet weight. Is that what some refer to as a hard long shove versus a sharp smack when describing recoil? Which pad did you put on your 1895? Thanks for all the info. -kgonzo

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, I guess it is the push effect instead of the sharp jolt effect. Pachmayr Presentation Deaccelerator. It was $29.95 for the pad (list for $32.95 now) and I had it installed ($15) to to my length of pull and to the original curve of the butt. Very nice. I also sanded off what was left of the 1977 mar-finish and oiled the stock, really brought out the beauty of the walnut.<p>[This message has been edited by jackfish (edited February 07, 2001).]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the lever action forum.I own 7 lever actions.Marlin 1895g,Marlin 1895SS,Marlin 1894P,Marlin 1894S,1894cs,Marlin 336cs(30/30)and a Marlin 39A.I plan on getting two Marlin cowboy rifles in the near future one in 45/70 the other in 45 colt.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Welcome to the Lever Actions board, 45/70 Marlin, you and your seven leverguns. i only have one so far, a stainless 45LC Navy Arms short rifle, having sold my marlin 45-70 some weeks ago. The stainless Guide Gun looks so fine, its on top of my list. ~~~Suluuq

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (338Rules, 406_SBC, 1minute, 1_deuce, 29aholic, 23 invisible), 1,681 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,493
Posts18,472,088
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.