-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How would a guy go about having some custom one piece scope rings made?

I'd like to get some made for a custom project where the rear top of the receiver isn't exactly what you'd call level. As it is, its got weaver bases on it, but the rings have had to be heavily lapped to get them true.

Thoughts?

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think you really want the rings one piece, how would you mount the scope.

If it is custom bases you want, I have made them for Winchester, Remingtons, Mausers and others. I prefer to make them for the Talley rings. Email me if you are interested.

Jkob60msn.com

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could just use Burris Signature rings with the inserts?

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I guess what I am saying is I would like the bottom half of the ring to mount directly to the receiver. No weaver style base, no Leupold locking base...

Basically what I am looking for. Is this a bad idea altogether?

[Linked Image]

...new laws were most numerous when the commonwealth was most corrupt. ~ Publius Cornelius Tacitus
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Found someone to do it. My cousin (who happens to live about two and a half miles from Redneck's shop apparently) is going to machine some for me. All I need to do is send him the existing bases, make a cast of the receiver, and put a witness mark on the center line.

He said he can do it from there. Here's hoping...

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RW Hart makes a 1 piece scope mount similar to what you have in mind. They are machined from aluminum and are very well made.

Here they are:

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
or the good 'ol Talley LW

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

THANKS!
That is EXACTLY what I am looking for... For a VZ24.

Now, imagine that someone ground the charging hump off of the receiver, and I'm trying to make the bottom of a mount like that match the asymmetrical contour left behind.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Aileinduinn

THANKS!

Now, imagine that someone ground the charging hump off of the receiver, and I'm trying to make the bottom of a mount like that match the asymmetrical contour left behind.

That still ain't gonna help! If your receiver is misaligned those rings won't help. ALthough they are great rings the alignment problem will still be there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many years ago I had the same problem (an uneven slanting rear bridge) on a mauser action.

And of course, the best fix, if you want to use those Talley lightweights, is to first have the rear bridge surface ground true. Once that is done a real good metalsmith can then custom contour those Talley's to your rear bridge and then cut down and custom contour the front rings to the correct height after determining the exact circumference of the front ring.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Near Manufacturing make a bridge mount with integral bottom rings............in steel.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jkob

THANKS!

That still ain't gonna help! If your receiver is misaligned those rings won't help. ALthough they are great rings the alignment problem will still be there.

Hi Jim, what would you do? Build a set of custom bases with offset holes to match the bad alignment?

The first thing that came mind for me was weld up the holes and surface grind the action, then re-drill them in the correct location. But, then I wondered if just a new action might be a cheaper alternative. The VZ-24 is pretty common.

Terry

Last edited by TC1; 02/07/10.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TC1
Originally Posted by Jkob

THANKS!

Hi Jim, what would you do? Build a set of custom bases with offset holes to match the bad alignment?

The first thing that came mind for me was weld up the holes and surface grind the action, then re-drill them in the correct location. But, then I wondered if just a new action might be a cheaper alternative. The VZ-24 is pretty common.

Terry

This is what I would do if the action is dear to your heart. First the basic steel stock needs to be contoured to fit the receiver, next, I would set the receiver up in the mill vise, level it, and indidcate in all of the original holes and record the positions taken from my DRO. The bases are then set up on the receiver and (horrors) super-glued on. Then go back to your dimensions and drill the attach holes through. Careful you don't go too deep and remove the old tapped holes; you could make them 8-40's here if you wanted. Next, the bases are attached with the torx screws and milled to final dimensions to fit the Tally rings. I believe this is the only way to get 100% repeatability with QR rings. The secret is milling the dovetails while the bases are attached to the receiver.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Problem fixed and a nice set of custom bases. Sounds like a plan to me.

Thanks,
Terry

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am posting a pic of the custom bases that D'Arcy Echols makes for his rifles. Enjoy.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntr
I am posting a pic of the custom bases that D'Arcy Echols makes for his rifles. Enjoy.

[Linked Image]

Those are nice and they are custom but, if you go back and read his original thread, he states the action bridges are off. No amount of custom rings will accomplish what he is trying to do. It is the bases that need to match the receiver holes. If those echols rings were line bored true to the receiver then they would work as wanted. But, I don't think they were.

Last edited by Jkob; 02/08/10.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If you have the front and rear bridge surface ground it will be
parallel to the center line of the action. The radius will be known
and the underside of each base made to match. I think that's what a
custom base is ?

Heres how the Echols rings start out, it makes little difference as to how "far out" the front and rear bridge are we have plenty to work with‏

[Linked Image]

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntr
If you have the front and rear bridge surface ground it will be
parallel to the center line of the action. The radius will be known
and the underside of each base made to match. I think that's what a
custom base is ?

More than likely it has nothing to do with the reciever being level and more to do with the holes being drilled off center. Grinding the bridge probably won't fix the whole problem and trying machince a ring with an integral base and off center mounting holes only complicates the solution to the problem. If the bases are fit to the action even with the offset holes the tops can squared and the dovetails cut while mounted to action to ensure everything is square.

Like this:
first the bases are cut.
[Linked Image]
Then the holes are indexed and drilled like Jim explained.
[Linked Image]
After that the bases are squared and dovetailed while attached to the receiver.
[Linked Image]
Now the product is finished the bases are square with the receiver.
[Linked Image]

Terry

PS. Above work was done by Shane Thompson.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Misalignment of the rear bridge with relation to the front ring will be corrected if the two radii are surface ground true to bore line.

Minor hole misalignment can be corrected by punching out the existing 6-48 holes to 8-40 true to bore line. Gross misalignment requires the base holes to be offset from bore line.

Echols mounts are fit individually to each receiver after the receiver has been trued (front ring and rear bridge ground true, mounting holes drilled/tapped true to bore line). Then the mount's scope bore and base radius can be bored in line in one set up. The holes are then drilled/counterbored in line to the scope bore/base radius.

Brian

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, maybe it's a job for Mr. Echols then.

Terry

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

219 members (10gaugemag, 117LBS, 300_savage, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 264mag, 22 invisible), 15,021 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,334
Posts18,546,198
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.