Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Any recommendations for a hotel to stay at on the front end and back end of an upcoming hunt? Thanks.

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Princess

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I stayed at Pikes a few years back. Very nice place, reasonable rates, and close to the airport. Can catch grayling right out back.

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm kinda partial to Sophie Station. They have full kitchens, so you can cook your own. Also a bar/restaurant when you don't feel like cooking.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I also stayed at the place right next to that bar and grill with a green roof (I've been told it closed biz)right down the road a hair from Pikes. Memory is [bleep], but I do recall it was 1/2 block from Fred Meyer and there was a non alchohlic titty bar next door. The hotel was nice, perhaps one of you locals can name it.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your gonna love......Pikes! Anyone else sick of those commercials besides me? Tell them your a resident and they will give you (supposedly) a free cookie and ice cream cone.

We stayed there during the PV Float Drag hunt in 07, nice place, decent food and hopefully, they banned smoking in their restuarant. Close to the airport and charters services too.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Alpine Lodge right outside the airport is pretty decent. They have a restaurant, as well. There is also Pike's, Princess ($$$), Best Western, Sophies and Extended Stay pretty close to the airport. Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn and the Regency are farther away, but still within 10 minutes or so from the airport. Try the Super 8 if you want a little target practice in the middle of the night!

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks fellas!

"The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by akpls
Try the Super 8 if you want a little target practice in the middle of the night!

What caliber do your need for that!!

Romo, I'm in the same boat, waiting for the draw before I start booking anything. Sounds like Pike's is the spot.Hopefully they will have plenty of openings come Draw.

Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
We got the Marriott Spring Hills Suites for $139/night...2 queens and a pull out sofabed...perfect for 3 guys. Originally $209/night (same as Pike's) but couldn't pass on Marriott corporate promo discount.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Romo,

The hotel has pretty good grub at the in house restaurant LaVelle's. They also have one of, if not the best wine list in Fairbanks. I'd stay there more often, but the parking is very limited, and a pain with a big work truck, and I get sick of restaurant food, and like to cook my own. For someone just passing through, it's a good call...you'll like it.

Jeff

Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the heads up, Jeff.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I'll be flying solo, so hopefully a small room will be open.How far is the Marriot from the airport?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HuntNBgame
I'll be flying solo, so hopefully a small room will be open.How far is the Marriot from the airport?

Probably about a 10 minute, $20-25 cab ride, if the hotel doesn't have a shuttle.

Jeff

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Thanks Akjeff

Romo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HuntNBgame

HuntNBgame, when are you going to be in Fairbanks?

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
The way it looks now Aug.17 or 18th.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, no love for the Monson Motel??? it's real close the non alcoholic strip club, guess it's still running, a guy I knew used to own it, Charlie Anderson, he got stabbed about a bazillion times one night there and they never did figure out who really did it, some guy took the rap that didn't do it and it got him out of another sticky situation probably with the same guys that did the hit.

my grandaughter's other grandpa was managing the Super 8 the night the shootout went down, freakin marroons, sure expended a lotta ammo without hitting much flesh.

you'll be happy at the Marriot, it's downtown, and like Jeff said, good food, great wine list but pricey. close enough to stroll over to the Big I, (believe wildone has been in that joint) more my kinda place to drink. In the other direction is Alaska Rare Coin, worth a visit perhaps and the little jewelery store on the corner often has some good scrimshaw available. Big Rays is right down the street if you need to make any last minute purchases.

the other hotel that the guy couldn't remember the name was the Aspen, since changed to Executive Suites or Extended Stay or something like that, never been in it, they busted folks making meth in it when it was the Aspen IIRC.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Randy, the apsen, that's the one I was trying to think of. Been 5 years since I last stayed there. The bar and grill and fred myer both a block away made it atractive, plus close to the airport to boot.

NRA Life Member
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
The "bar and grill" you refer to was the Castle and it's no longer open. The closest option to eat is now the Fred Meyer deli or Taco Bell.....yummmm. sick

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.