Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TM45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ross' great articles are conspicuously missing from Rifle, Successful Hunter and Handloader lately! What's up with that??

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Do a search of recent posts - you'll learn more than you ever needed to know. Seyfried doesn't work there anymore.

Jaywalker

TM45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I did... sorry I asked! Seems I came to this "party" late but I'll torture you with my opinions anyway... BTW I just found this site and really like it as it fills the void left by Shooters.com.

I dumped Shooting Times because I tired of Venturino's writing. Not everyone is into CAS, buffalo guns or is so recoil shy they only load sqib rounds. The only reason I could think of to keep the subscription was Jamison, Simpson and Metcalf and that wasn't enough.

I won't touch G&A for Cooper's (coherent?) ramblings or Boddington's magnum-mania...

The only thing keeping me with Wolfe is Barsness, his wife Eileen (who always makes me hungry) and Shoemaker. Trzoniec to some extent (although his picture using binocs w/ pinky finger out raised a cheeze alert). Clair Rees' articles are always enjoyed too.

Bob Robb grates my nerves big time for some reason. I think there is a goofiness factor at work there...

Scovill, the editor annoys me with his attacks on other magazines. I think his writing is generally good and his topics interesting.

I think Gil Sengel can write, but dam if he doesn't put me to sleep... cut those articles down man and dispense with some of the minutia.

Pierce is great, but I think I've learned about all I want to about revolvers.

Barsness and Seyfried entertain as they pass along information. They have rich experiences and knowledge that I learn from.

I thought Ross at times got a bit emotional in his writing, but so what. You at least knew how he felt. Wolfe had a "tri-fecta" with Ross being able to contribute admirably to all three mags as does Barsness.

They shoulda done everything they could to keep the guy on. If Barsness goes, Wolfe goes from my subscriptions.

Ross should start publishing his own rag - bring John and Eileen in and I would be happy!

Bottom line is I would follow Ross and John wherever they ended up. Much as I would have with Skeeter Skelton.

This is one rifle looney who will sadly miss Ross. Just don't call me a gun nut!!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I agree with most of that, if JB, Ross and Phil got along well together and had their own mag, published 9 times per annum and restricted to articles based on actual experience about hunting guns and handloads only, I would be their most loyal subscriber. I certainly hope that Ross continues to write and perhaps does two or three good books, as Bob Hagel did.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ross has an article in the most recent double gun journal. It's a pretty neat read about taking both turkeys and feral hogs in TX with the two guns, both of which are quite different. One a single shot 32-40 and the other a 20ga Fauneta.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if JB, Ross and Phil got along well together and had their own mag, published 9 times per annum and restricted to articles based on actual experience about hunting guns and handloads only, I would be their most loyal subscriber.

I could not agree more...

Regards, Matt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I enjoy Ross's work tremendously. It is his descriptions of why the unique guns have their unique features that really makes his work stand out. I hope he continues to write for DGJ - I look for his name in the Table of Contents before I do anything else when DGJ shows up.

That said, there is still lots of good material in Wolfe's magazines. Mule deer you have always been a solid, interesting writer. I have re-read the 416 Rigby piece a number of times. I love my 416 Rigby. It is a hobby in and of itself. The most challenging part being how to find affordable brass. I actually bought two of them and gave my hunting partner one to thank him for years of sharing all his hard earned knowledge of eastern Oregon with me. Wolfe has also done its readers a big favor by getting Mike Venterino to write about some topics outside of the CAS sphere. His 45AR story in this months Handloader is a good example. He also did some really good stuff on military bolt action rifles that was top notch.

As much as I love them life would be pretty dull if Elmer, Jack, Skeeter, and Jeff were still the only game in town. I bet a few of you who I see in these forums could do a pretty fair job of filling pages in the magazines if you wanted to.
How about it Kutenay, I have the feeling you have more than one good story in your kit bag.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

TM45 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have to agree with you Siski. Sometimes certain writers just speak to you though. I think Venturino is a fine writer. I look forward to more diversified topics from him.

I can still remember being quite distraught at Skeeter's death. I followed him since I was 11. I think there are some writers coming up who can fill his shoes, but I'm still waiting. JB, Phil and Ross come closest in my opinion.

There are plenty of good writers out there - a few rise to the top. And it could be different ones for different folks.

Entertain, first.... information second...

mec Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
When I used to read him, he had a real enthusiasm about what he was doing. Also had enough money to explore his interests. Very interesting stuff. He could write clearly about shooting at a mile using an old WWII Japanese range finder, shooting the old huge bored black powder double rifles and the British black powder revolvers.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How about it Kutenay, I have the feeling you have more than one good story in your kit bag.

I'll second that idea. How about a series on "Life of a North Woods rambler" It should help you to buy that Kifaru gear you have been wanting! Heck, With a little nudge I'll bet Patrick would make you a field tester!
Now that I'm thinking about it I would be glad to come up and serve as the Northwoods green horn. There could be a whole book in this idea....
John

Please don't feed the trolls!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (12344mag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 222Sako, 224th, 219 Wasp, 57 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,397
Posts18,527,896
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.