Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
HS--I don't know that it is that much of a story, as I have used a Sharps as my rifle of choice for over 20 years.

I took the zebra on my second trip to South Africa, using a Shiloh Sharps Business Rifle in 45 2 7/8, often called a 45-110. The load was 106 grains of 2f black powder pushing a 511 grain round nosed paper patched bullet out of one of my Steve Brooks molds. It pushes the bullet to 1380 fps. This is pretty much the old buffalo killing load from the American west in the 1870s. I use the standard buckhorn barrel sights and a blade front sight made from a copper penny. The Sharps sights are a buckhorn with a ladder that stands up and a sliding leaf for long range. I have correlated it with a Leica CRF 1200 rangefinder. These sights are much more capable than most people suspect and in conjunction with the excellent set trigger give the Sharps its well earned reputation for long range accuracy.

I have had good results with the Sharps, and had gotten complete pass through penetration on every animal I had shot on the first safari. I had shot a blesbok from end to end the previous day,in the chest and out the base of the tail on this second trip. When we spotted the herd of zebra and began the stalk, my PH commented that he thought my string of pass throughs was about to come to an end. I asked him why, and he said that his 375H&H would not consistently shoot all the way through a zebra and he doubted the Sharps would.

I had a pretty good string of pass throughs going, and I told him that I would shoot the zebra on an angle to maximize the penetration distance as a sort of penetration test. We got within 96 yards, and I shot the zebra from sitting cross sticks as it quartered toward me, taking it on the left shoulder. The paper patch bullet exited just in front of its left ham after traversing the body from front to back on a diagonal path. The animal went a bit over 100 yards before it died on its feet.

It is a beautiful skin, and I had it made into a rug. It covers the bed in our guest bedroom.

So how accurate are you with that Sharpes, what is the furthest you would confidently shoot game?

Have a picture of the rifle?

thanks.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Barkoff--I have a number of pictures of myself and the Sharps, both with and without game taken with it. I can't post pictures as I am on dial up and absolutely can't get off of it.

I shoot a lot. I try to shoot a few shots every day, and I have a range at my house that goes to 504 yards. I have steel animal silhouettes placed at various distances from 100 to 500 yards, and I shoot at these. It trains the eye. Sitting off cross sticks I can shoot 2 inch groups at 100 yards, 3 1/2 inches at 200 yards and 4 inches at 300 yards on these silhouettes. It is easy to stay in the heart/lung area of an elk at three to four hundred yards with the Sharps.

The Sharps will shoot through and kill anything I can hit as far as I can hit it. This is determined by how well I can see the target, and the quality of sight picture I can generate. The rifle is indifferent to the distance. If you have the sights set correctly, have a good sight picture and break a good shot, The Sharps will put a 511 grain bullet on the target.

In RSA on the first safari I took a kudu at 302 yards, a black wildebeast at 225, a springbuck at 327, a blue wildebeast at 312 a gemsbok at 196 and an impala at 229. I also took a second kudu at 70 yards. I have all of this on DVD.

On the second trip I took a really nice steenbuck at 49 yards as well as the zebra and the blesbok. I also took another springbuck at 526 yards which is the farthest I have taken a game animal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Barkoff: I can most assuredly attest to Sharpsguy's shooting prowess with those Sharps. AA good friend of mine who posts here under the "Evil Twin" moniker, gave me a lovely Shiloh-Sharps as a retirement gift. I had no clue (still don't) as to the art/science involved with these rifles so Sharpsguy kindly invited me to his place in Texas for a two day crash course in advanced riflery. He lives the dream baby! His reloading house is but a short walk from his FIVE HUNDRED yard range! Anyhow I couldn't believe what I accomplished. In just a few short sessions, I was hitting the metallic Ram sihlouette at 500. If I can do it, just imagine what he can do with these rifles, he's probably shot a few hundred thousand rounds in his career with them! Further, he has a neat video when he used to be a sponsor for Goex that shows him taking a springbok at an incredible (and lazered) 525 yards! He's the real deal and made me into a convert. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Huntaria_Setters
Anyone with pics of their zebra with a levergun?

Not exactly what you were looking for I'm sure, but there is a tiny lever under the action...
[Linked Image]

This was the best stalk of my life!!! We crawled up to 45 yards of this guy in thick brush and the 458Lott No.1 dropped him with a single shot (350gr. Barnes TSX @ 2750fps). We thought he was alone, but at the shot...a second Zebra took off from about 40 yards to our right!!! It's funny....Zebra wasn't high on my "priority" list when we left the states...but when we arrived in the Limpopo, I became infatuated with finding a good one!!! It turned out to be the highlight of the week!!!

Take Care!!!

Stump

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mountain Zebra Namibia 2008

Last edited by phoenixdawg; 02/06/10.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Barkoff: I can most assuredly attest to Sharpsguy's shooting prowess with those Sharps. AA good friend of mine who posts here under the "Evil Twin" moniker, gave me a lovely Shiloh-Sharps as a retirement gift. I had no clue (still don't) as to the art/science involved with these rifles so Sharpsguy kindly invited me to his place in Texas for a two day crash course in advanced riflery. He lives the dream baby! His reloading house is but a short walk from his FIVE HUNDRED yard range! Anyhow I couldn't believe what I accomplished. In just a few short sessions, I was hitting the metallic Ram sihlouette at 500. If I can do it, just imagine what he can do with these rifles, he's probably shot a few hundred thousand rounds in his career with them! Further, he has a neat video when he used to be a sponsor for Goex that shows him taking a springbok at an incredible (and lazered) 525 yards! He's the real deal and made me into a convert. jorge

Does one need exceptional eyesight for shots like those? Next time I see somebody out at the range with a sight set-up as described, I think I'm going to ask to look through the iron sights.

P.S Based on your reply it sounded as if you thought I was skeptical of the original poster, in noway did I mean to sound as if I was, just amazed that some can do what they can do.

thanks for the reply.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Barkoff--Good eyesight helps, for sure. I am farsighted and have astigmatism, and have slightly blurred vision without my glasses. Having said that, my vision corrects to 20/15 with glasses. Jorge is a retired Naval Aviator, so his eyesight can't be what you might call bad.

What it amounts to is that after years of study and research, I finally figured out how the old buffalo (bison) hunters of the old west used their rifles and sights. Anyone with normal eyesight can do it. All you have to do is see the front sight as clearly as possible and the animal. The animal can be blurred a bit, and it still works. The problem today is that no one wants to learn how to use these sights correctly and grew up using scopes. There is a system and a slight learning curve, but most people with average eyesight would be able to do it if they knew how.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barkoff--Good eyesight helps, for sure. I am farsighted and have astigmatism, and have slightly blurred vision without my glasses. Having said that, my vision corrects to 20/15 with glasses. Jorge is a retired Naval Aviator, so his eyesight can't be what you might call bad.

What it amounts to is that after years of study and research, I finally figured out how the old buffalo (bison) hunters of the old west used their rifles and sights. Anyone with normal eyesight can do it. All you have to do is see the front sight as clearly as possible and the animal. The animal can be blurred a bit, and it still works. The problem today is that no one wants to learn how to use these sights correctly and grew up using scopes. There is a system and a slight learning curve, but most people with average eyesight would be able to do it if they knew how.

How much does a Sharpes weigh? I'm guessing most who hunted with such rifles back in the day had a horse to handle the weight?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's my baby, think it weighs around 11lb but it only has a 28" barrel. I took the Vernier sight off though. The barrel sights are better for hunting. jorge

[Linked Image]

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Barkoff- My 45-110 Business Rifle weighs 11 pounds, 8 ounces. I have a 45-90 that weighs 12 pounds 2 ounces. I would say that most of my hunting Sharps weigh 11 to 12 pounds. I do have have a couple of heavy barreled Sharps that weigh at or just over 15 pounds. Almost all of my rifles have 30 inch barrels.

Not all of the original buffalo hunters used 15 pound rifles, although a great many did. There were a lot of rifles on the buffalo range that weighed 12 to 13 pounds.

The reason for the heavy rifles on the buffalo range was three fold. The first was that the heavier weight tames the recoil somewhat and makes them easier to shoot for an extended string of shots. These guys regularly shot 50 to 100 shots a day, so this was important. The second reason was that the heavier guns are more accurate and absolutely go to sleep on the cross sticks. They are so steady that you think you are on a bench rest with sand bags. The third reason for the heavy barrel is that it doesn't get hot as quickly as does a light barrel. This makes fouling managment of black powder loads much easier on a long string of shots.

Hunting bison in the west was very different from what we do today with their long shot strings, and these bull barrel guns were purpose built for it.

My normal hunting Sharps at 11 to 12 pounds are not so heavy that you can't carry them on a day's hunt, but their weight does make them a bit easier to shoot than say an eight or nine pound rifle.

Last edited by sharpsguy; 02/06/10. Reason: spelling error
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Here's one with a shadow stripe from Zim followed by another without it from the long grass of Tanzania:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Spring,

Never seen a common without shadow stripes!

Is that a custom? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Barkoff- My 45-110 Business Rifle weighs 11 pounds, 8 ounces. I have a 45-90 that weighs 12 pounds 2 ounces. I would say that most of my hunting Sharps weigh 11 to 12 pounds. I do have have a couple of heavy barreled Sharps that weigh at or just over 15 pounds. Almost all of my rifles have 30 inch barrels.

Not all of the original buffalo hunters used 15 pound rifles, although a great many did. There were a lot of rifles on the buffalo range that weighed 12 to 13 pounds.

The reason for the heavy rifles on the buffalo range was three fold. The first was that the heavier weight tames the recoil somewhat and makes them easier to shoot for an extended string of shots. These guys regularly shot 50 to 100 shots a day, so this was important. The second reason was that the heavier guns are more accurate and absolutely go to sleep on the cross sticks. They are so steady that you think you are on a bench rest with sand bags. The third reason for the heavy barrel is that it doesn't get hot as quickly as does a light barrel. This makes fouling managment of black powder loads much easier on a long string of shots.

Hunting bison in the west was very different from what we do today with their long shot strings, and these bull barrel guns were purpose built for it.

My normal hunting Sharps at 11 to 12 pounds are not so heavy that you can't carry them on a day's hunt, but their weight does make them a bit easier to shoot than say an eight or nine pound rifle.

Thanks to the two of you for all in info. I see guys shooting them once in a while at the range, I'm going to see if I can talk one of them out of a shot or two.

Are most Sharpes you see out there authentic, or are there more replicas than originals?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spring,

I really like the one without the shadow stripe, but I get the feeling they aren't that common.

Any Zebra beats my current one, nada.

Charles

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by CharlesL
Spring,

I really like the one without the shadow stripe, but I get the feeling they aren't that common.

Any Zebra beats my current one, nada.

Charles

The shadow stripe looks great as a rug in places that can benefit from the hint of brown. The ones I've gotten in Tanzania look great, too, but they are truly a stark black and white.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shadow Stripes are usually absent on the Hartmann's Zebra but found on burchell's. THere are other varities of Zebra but soembody a lot smarter than me will need to tell you about them.
Lee

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We need Shakari to settle this one.............

I thought only the Hartmann's and Grevy's didn't have shadow stripes confused

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'll bite. I took this one in 08. [Linked Image]

Last edited by Slider1; 02/07/10.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ebby
Shadow Stripes are usually absent on the Hartmann's Zebra but found on burchell's. THere are other varities of Zebra but soembody a lot smarter than me will need to tell you about them.
Lee

Never seen shadow stripes on a Hartmans, Ive never seen a Grevy's Zebra, except on film, but they dont have room for shadow striping...The Burchells seem to have it in varying degrees...and it seems to me it becomes more prevalent the farther south one goes....just my observation..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Before:

[Linked Image]

After:

[Linked Image]

After:
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (219 Wasp, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,325
Posts18,487,499
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.