Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Bob:

I did my Alaska hunt of a "lifetime" with Max Schwab this past fall.....I can't say enough good things about my experience with Max and his guides (the ones that were stuck with me grin ). I did a combo sheep and moose hunt and was lucky enough to get both (sorry for those that have already seen these).

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Max (at that time) was VERY reasonable for a combo hunt and his guides are exceptional. Packing that moose back to the river two miles away took three of us 2.5 days.....lots of work but worth it in EVERY way. Good Luck on your quest.

PennDog

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I would also look at the Yukon for a Moose hunt as well. It dose not hurt to just look and ask questions. The Yukon has a lot of Area lots of game and even fewer people most live in one town and the rest along the Alcan. As for your rifle, it will do, stuff a good 6.5 mm bullet in it and it will be fine. Having hunted a number of years in Alaska, I worked as a bush pilot there. All I can tell you is that when it comes to transporting yourself around, its either by boat or by airplane. And the further away from things you go, the more expensive its going to get. On a per shot basis Africa offers the most value per hunting dollar when you start crunching numbers. But there is nothing like hunting in Alaska/Yukon. I think odds for a bigger Moose would be better in the Yukon, worth the effort no matter what or where to decide to go.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one does a float trip, select a distance and duration that allows one plenty of time to hunt. Do not pick a distance that involves 8 hrs of floating a day. I'd actually suggest floating every other day. Cooking, breaking camp, floating, building camp etc can be exhausting. One needs time to smell the roses, hunt the shore, break down and pack up mooses.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most younger guys aren't in shape to pack out a moose, and if you are near retirement age, you likely aren't in shape to do so either. You have to be absolutely honest with your physical ability to pack multiple heavy loads. Same with a float hunt, if you haven't spent time floating rivers, you can get in a world of hurt, and it might be a long time before anyone comes to help you.

If you do shoot a moose, and are unable to pakc it out, the fines and legal fees will cost more than a guided hunt.

Caribou is a much, much better choice for a DIY hunt. Many more animals, not a nightmare to pack out, and generally hunted in more open country.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I never been to Alaska or anywhere on a moose hunt. However I've done some sheet metal work and was a machinist for a few years. Guessing (from your profile) you've worked your a&& off for the most part of your life I would suggest save some extra money and do it right. This sounds like a retirement present to yourself. A once in a lifetime deal so make it a good one. You deserve it, do it up right.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (007FJ, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,450 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,411
Posts18,470,431
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.