Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When loading the first round into the mag, (short action 7-08) and from the mag into the chamber, the round is pushed forward by the bolt and hits the very front top of the mag box and stops right there. Do you think it is a weak mag spring not lifting the cartridge high enough?
At times, the first round, right side of mag, seems to go down into the mag too far and friction from the right feed rail prevents the round from coming up to be in alignment with the chamber causing it to bind when the lead point hits the top of the mag box.
Anyone seen this before? Anyone fixed this before? grin
Thanks,
George

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It is all in how you hold your lips...

Magazine lips, that is.

Sounds like the magazine box is not seated properly to start.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Art, I've double checked the box. I've removed it and reinstalled it. Looks fine. It's so close to being right... It will work OK with bullets that do not have an exposed led tip. The lead is soft and jams and deforms against the box.
I need to remove some of the box or get a new follower and spring (stronger spring) to push the cartridge up to the max consistently. 1/16 of an inch would do the trick. It's that close.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I tend to find stamped followers more commonly cause problems than springs and feed lips cause way more problems than all the rest...

A machined follower is always worth the money, but springs can be stretched back into service any time.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I've had the same problem w/ a .30-06 ADL. I tried smoothing out all of the box surfaces and such, even polished the feed ramp before I realized it's a box issue.

I do have the problem w/ plastic tips too on occasion, definitely w/ lead tips.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do not cut the box down! Polish the starboard lip and bend it up slightly and try again...

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks all. I removed the box, spring, and carrier, took nothing more than steel wool and went over all edges of the box as well as the rails and ramp in the rifle.
I reassembled it just as I had five or six times previously, bumped the butt on the floor a couple of times before tightening the action screws. After the bump, I heard a click that I hadn't heard before. Tightened it all down and it now works as slick as eel snot.
What I figure is the mag spring had not been going in place in the stock and was causing the follower to not fit or feed the cartridge just right.
Working fine now.
Hunting tomorrow!
Thanks again,
George

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Back to square one. Started doing it again. Art, I'm going to see what I can do with the starboard lip.
Will keep all informed as to how it turns out.
It is in the rear of the mag where the friction is keeping the round from popping up completely, not the front. The bolt will ride over the round and lock on an empty chamber.
eek

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is because the lip is holding the cartridge too deep in the box. Easing the lip open will serve to lift the round.

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Struggled with nothing but aggravation since first post, swapped out parts with other Rem ADL and no luck.
As a last resort, I found a set of BDL bottom metal that I had purchased from someone here two or three years ago.
I noticed that the follower in that older BDL assembly was different as it looked more like machined metal and less like stamped as was in the rifle giving problems.
Swapped out magazine and spring from one to the other and problem seems to be solved smile fingers crossed!

That being the case, where would I locate another machined follower for the 308 length mag? I need to replace the one I cannibalized from my other rifle..
Thanks all,
George

Thomas Jefferson

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
George
The machined followers are much more forgiving than the stamped ones... But you should be able to fix the feed and function of the rifle using the stamped unit.

Looking at what I have posted for you I should have been more clear about opening the lips on the front of the box, not quite to halfway back. And you did understand that as flaring the lips out, correct? Using terms like "up" was probably not my best attempt at clarity...

Does the original magazine box fit perfectly in the opening?
art
art

GeoW Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Art,
The original follower would see-saw causing the round to do the same, as best as I can tell.
When I swapped followers to the milled one, the problem went away!
I'm just looking for another milled follower to replace the one I robbed from one of my other 700s smile
I'll go to all milled if I can find them <grin>
Thank you for working with me on this as I'm an anxious bastid and was going nuts trying to figure this thing out crazy

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Looking at what I have posted for you I should have been more clear about opening the lips on the front of the box, not quite to halfway back. And you did understand that as flaring the lips out, correct? Using terms like "up" was probably not my best attempt at clarity...

Wow! This solved my problem on my 2004 .30-06 ADL, which has the matte finish. I opened up top of the magazine box, which you have to compress to get back into the cutout on the receiver, and my problem was solved. Finally, I've tinkered with this many times, I quit hunting with that rifle 2 years ago. I just loaded and unloaded my 4 dummy rounds 100 times, and had zero failures to load from the magazine--first time ever with that rifle. Previously, it would fail every third or fourth round. My fingers hurt though.

So, why does Remington make the box that way? My hunting partner has the same rifle in .243 Winchester and he has the exact same problem as I do.

Last edited by june6th1944; 02/05/10.

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I kinda like their design. You can move the mag box wall in/out to allow as much of the case to be under the feed rails as necessary. I also tweak the corners out a bit so that you have to seat the box firmly to get it in the underside of the action. It's less likely to move around on a blind-mag setup and give problems.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
june6
Happy to see it worked for you... They really are pretty easy to adjust until Bubba jumps to it with the file on the rails.

It is cheap and quick to build them that way and they get more range out of the loading of different cratridges that way, I would guess.
art

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GeoW
Art,
The original follower would see-saw causing the round to do the same, as best as I can tell.
When I swapped followers to the milled one, the problem went away!
I'm just looking for another milled follower to replace the one I robbed from one of my other 700s smile
I'll go to all milled if I can find them <grin>
Thank you for working with me on this as I'm an anxious bastid and was going nuts trying to figure this thing out crazy

Brownells sells the milled followers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Carlos,
They do and the machined units are more forgiving... But I have been able to get them all to work eventually. DaninAlaska just ordered a bunch of them, a LA for me and he got a couple SA followers... They were all the same length... I got my LA though! wink

When the cartridges start rocking in the magazine it is time to look at the magazine box lips farther back.

The click Geo described and the return of the problem is likely the box popping back out of proper alignment in the action...
art

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Carlos,
They do and the machined units are more forgiving... But I have been able to get them all to work eventually. DaninAlaska just ordered a bunch of them, a LA for me and he got a couple SA followers... They were all the same length... I got my LA though! wink

When the cartridges start rocking in the magazine it is time to look at the magazine box lips farther back.

The click Geo described and the return of the problem is likely the box popping back out of proper alignment in the action...
art

Agreed. Have had to work on a few in the past. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.