Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
aww just put it on Walmart's monthly tab.. they are sending so much money to China, they probably won't even notice it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
so you're suggesting that they'd deliberately trash 18% of their export sector for...what, spite? surely not.

nor would the nomeklatura deeply and personally invested in the US economy do any such thing.

their will to diminish the U.S. as a major power both militarily and economically ......IT IS CALLED GREED FOR POWER AT ALL COSTS<>>
they don't give a dam they will control with largest population ,largest economy ,largest ARMY,largest need for food,water ,and space..open your eyes.
and look..

Last edited by norm99; 02/06/10. Reason: spelling

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
so you're suggesting that they'd deliberately trash 18% of their export sector for...what, spite? surely not.

nor would the nomeklatura deeply and personally invested in the US economy do any such thing.

Spite? No. To remove us as an impediment to their ability to project power and operate as they wish in the Western Pacific and the ME, yes, very much so. Especially when they see our government spending money and incurring debt in quantities that it will never be able to pay back, much less service. That's a big clue to anyone that it's time to unload their US$ holdings while it's still worth something, especially to those that have large quantities of said holdings. And they are unloading them. They're using them to purchase commodities and insure supplies of same. I don't think that they're going to be holding the bag when the music stops; that privilege is going to be left to the US citizenry.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think you overlook the extent of the power class's relationships to the US and its economy. My kids' classes are full of the children of the Chinese elite...they're not spending 40K a year to send their kids to school here so they can destroy the US economy. They have their own money invested here. They keep homes here. Without the US export economy, or in a world economy destabilized by a US financial crisis which would threaten all their export business, as well as their public and private investments.....they are dead.

Quite likely physically as well as financially, since the Chinese people could turn ugly very quickly if their fairly new found prosperity collapsed as a result of an obviously stupid government policy.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The G7 are having a hushed meeting in the high Arctic of Canada because of the Obama attack on the banking system and his other so called solutions which will end up causing great grief to the rest of the banks of the world. His policies and Brenake's are causing a ripple effect throughout the world. The spending out of crisis theory will not work, Japan has tried that for over 20 years and it don't work. His other comments about penalizing the savers is also a 2 faced remark since on one hand they are trying to keep a lid on hyper inflation and controlling the interest rates is the only way. So if you give savers more interest you start a viscious cycle that will affect all economies around the world.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Quite possibly I do, as I have no relationships of any sort with them. I have only their public statements and their actions by which to judge intent.

I hear Wen Jibao and Xie Xuren when they speak of replacing the US$ as the reserve currency and are moving to give the Yuan regional dominance; I hear their statements about being unwilling to finance the ever expanding US debt; I see them doing trade agreements and using mutual currency swaps to avoid using dollars; I see them using their dollar holdings as collateral for goods and companies; I see them decreasing dramatically the amounts of US debt securities that they purchase; I see them gaining ground here in the states with duty free zones and minimal inspections of their warehousing facilities as well as controlling the entire Panama Canal; I hear of cyber attacks against our networks, both civil and military, that originate in their country; I read of technology transfers and outright industrial espionage to steal our ideas.

I read and hear all of these and more, and they do not seem to be the actions of a country that wishes us well, they seem more in keeping with someone who sees us as the enemy, and are using our own greed and short sightedness to gain advantage.

I also understand that they are firm believers in Mao's precept that all power flows from the barrel of a gun, and as long as they control the Army, they have no concerns about a rebellion amongst the people no matter how bad that it gets there. They have proven this at least three times in the last 60 years, so I place little creedence in their fear of a popular revolt as long as the Army is fed. If that fails, then I'm sure that they will use their US real estate and US based savings to flee from the hell that they have created. If it comes to that they may have jumped from the frying pan, and into the fire, depending upon how things turn out here.

If the American People allow private banks to control the issuance of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks..., will deprive the People of all their Property,...Thomas Jefferson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the priority fight between the Marxist dream of a world- dominating workers regime and the capitalist dream of being velly velly lich is over....getting rich won, hands down. It is now the driving force in China. Whatever facilitates the accumulation of national and personal wealth is what people insist on. And it also coincides with the wishes of the nomeklatura, who are mostly big rich, and the PLA, which is also into business more than fighting.

Not saying they have any particular love for the US, but they have a pretty obvious disincentive to pursue policies which harm our economy and don't even help theirs.

The PLA is a conscript army and outside its specops units ain't all that. Although they look nice:

[Linked Image]

The current leadership group pursues consensus...the last thing they want is another Tienanmen Square. which looks pretty peaceful these days:

[Linked Image]

It's all about the money. Our economy is too important to theirs for them to benefit by destroying ours.

Not that we'll ever be BFFs:

[Linked Image]

maybe if more people would just Zen out:

[Linked Image]

In summary, the Chinese control far less of our paper than most people think, they are not really able to underake any hostile action toward us with their holdings without doing dramatic damage to both their national economy and the personal wealth of the decision makers. Our economy is still far more robust and diversified than theirs, and able to weather a downturn without the civil unrest that is always close to the surface in the New China.

And I say that as a registered China expert, having spent a whole week there. And having kids with Chinese roomates for years and talking to their parents. A truly scientific study wink But most of this is pretty self evident, isn't it?

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by teal
As I understannd it, we sell our debts as bonds with a maturity date. So it's not like China could call all our debt at once or anything - right? All they can do is wait for the maturity date.

They have 2 options:
- wait for the maturity date and not purchase new ones
- sell them on the open market.

Open market sales are at market prices and the price might be lower than the value (which would hurt the seller).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They have 2 options:
- wait for the maturity date and not purchase new ones
- sell them on the open market.

Time to piss B-HO off. The oil companies should come out with an offer. Instead of paying taxes to the feds in cash they should offer to buy back U.S. Bonds from China, and others, and surrender them to the feds in lieu of cash. They paid 26.5 Billion in 2006, several years of that would buy back a bunch.

Of course when the Feds start selling bonds to China again, the oil companies come out and say, "We're trying to help you out of an international financial crisis, but you keep on digging in farther. It's like a high school kid with a credit card, paid by his parents, that has no limit or constraint."

B-HO and congress would be like, "Why you front me out Biotch!"

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

But most of this is pretty self evident, isn't it?

Not to me, but I suppose that we will see in the fullness of time.

IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Mike....I'm trying to figure out what possible financial or strategic advantages you see in China attempting to do even undertake such an effort.

Certainly you see that China needs us as much as we may need them!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's the problem. Yeah China gets 18% of their exports to us, which seems like a small fraction. But they have 100s of millions of people on the borderline of poverty. And they need every % they can get of our business to keep total chaos from happening. Hell, their GDP growth is DOUBLE what our is but it has to be to keep the masses in check.

This is a love-hate relationship for both sides. We buy so many cheap products from China that if the trade stopped, our inflation rate would go to about 20% in a year because we simply cannot make the same stuff that cheap. And in turn, they would literally have 100s of millions of people starving and pissed off walking the streets.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's even worst that that, China is cooking their Growth numbers. Look the current bunch in the US are cherry picking the numbers by a wide margin. And everybody knows it. One of the Reasons the Soviet Union collapsed is that they cooked there books and we in the west thought there numbers were on the up and up and when they did collapse, it was a big surprise. China is no different. They have huge problems, sure there is a lot of money there, but they have a huge population, just to stay even they need to double economic growth every year or just about. We are in an Economic down turn, poor leadership on the part of our politicans is making it longer and deeper than it needs to be. Ok we will work our way out of it in time. We always do. Europe is in a mess, more so that us, and for the Chinese to say why we are growing hands over fiths. May not be what they say. China is going to find that they are going to need more trade than less, and in order to get it, they are going to have to open their markets rather than block it off.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I posted this the other day.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ina_30_billion_square_feet_o#Post3758047

In my mind the bubble that we had in the RE market pales to what China has going on. The question is when will it pop and where to be to make the most of it when it does.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree, communism has been a way to unify and organize the country after centuries of hardship, exploitation, and division. Capitalism is out of the bag and there is no turning back. They have a communist political system, but have no interest in exporting it.

In 2008 I was a consultant for an alternative energy company and spent about a month total in an economic zone south of Shanghai. Most of the people were friendly, curious and very anxious to engage in conversation to practice their english. However prosperous they have become they have a long, long way to go before they reach any level of economic and social security.

What I took away from the experience was that people are the same all over. They just want to feed, clothe and educate their children. The problem is that these appetites will only grow. The Chinese are smart enough to know that today's and tomorrow's battles will be fought on the economic front. Educating my children is now more than ever a top priority.

Today's Chinese lesson; "pi jio" - beer

Last edited by rkamp; 02/07/10.

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bob,
I look at China being long term planners. They've been around for a very long time, and have in their history made virtually every mistake that a nation can make. I see them as using us to further their imperial dreams and to take from us anything that will help them to do so, with as few missteps along the way as they can.

It is to both their strategic and financial advantage to move manufacturing to their shores, and use wage and regulatory arbitrage to entice our manufacturers to move there.

We lose a significant portion of our manufacturing to them every year, with the effect of reducing our ability to provide good paying jobs for our population and to be able to utilize that capacity should it be necessary in the future.

It may not seem much, but think about the different manufacturers that we had in WW II who turned making seemingly insignificant things into important defense tooling. Singer Sewing Machines, Rock Ola juke boxes, small shipyards and boat makers who made the Higgins boats and PT boats; Kaiser Industries which made the Liberty ships. All of these have been killed off either by wage inflation or regulations, and the policies of the Chinese and others to use this to their advantage is well known. This is in large measure our fault, for allowing government to interfere in the marketplace, but the Chinese have also been very deliberate in insuring that their own wages and regulations are able to undercut ours at every turn.

It is to their advantage to have industries which we have discarded as being "too dirty" moved to their shores. One example of this is rare earth minerals refining. We used to both mine and refine these minerals, but regulations and wages shut it down, and now China is virtually the only source for these. They are critical for many high tech applications including military hardware, and we have successfully allowed them to monopolize it. This is just one example; there are many more.

It is also to their advantage to have the Yuan become a regional reserve currency and eventually a world reserve currency, as it then allows them to export their inflation and print as much money as they think thay can get away with, just as we have done for the last 50 years. This is a long way from becoming reality, but judging by the mismanagement of our currency and the increasing clamor from many countries around the world to have such a replacement, it isn't all that far fetched. They have already come to an agreement with the ASEAN nations to use the Yuan for regional trade, so it isn't that large a reach for inclusion of the Yuan in an SDR type vehicle, just for starters.

It is also to their advantage to hold our debt and become the "bank" if you will, for our own profligate political class. It becomes very difficult for us to make strategic decisions, when those who hold the majority of our debt and are the only ones who can buy it in the quantities needed to keep our activities running might refuse to do so if it conflicts with what they want. If, for instance, they decide that the time is right to include Taiwan in their "co prosperity sphere", and we protest too much, then dumping our debt on the market becomes a strategic advantage to them. Yes, it hurts their central bank, and it might hurt their power elite, but it will totally disrupt our financial system, and make doing much in response to their aggression impossible to carry out.

I see that China needs some things from us, but that we need them, and their money and goods much more than they need us. I also think that there are many in this country who are more rearward looking than forward looking, and see things as they were and not as they are. We, as a nation, have rested on our laurels and allowed ourselves to become convinced of our own invincibility and necessity, but have not kept the requisite policies or discipline in place for that to be true. We have moved with increasing speed towards being the classic European welfare state, with all the implications that lie with that dubious title. Whether we can turn that around and become the self reliant representative republic based on free market principles that we once were is the question. Under the current political and financial leadership it isn't looking good. The Chinese see this too, and are actively seeking alternate markets for their goods, and are building relationships that they will use to fill the vacuum left when our inability to function is apparent for all to see. If they can manipulate that time to their advantage, they will do so.

That's how I see the current state of Sino-American relations. I'm sure that others have their opinions, most of which will differ from mine.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,793
Posts18,496,180
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.