Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've heard that the older Tasco scopes that were made in Japan are pretty good. Does that mean "pretty good" or just better than the Chinese or Phillippine made models?

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I would put the tasco titan up against any european or american scope triple its price.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
The older Tasco scopes are quite good, at least the examples I've handled.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I bought a used Japanese made Tasco 16 x 44 AO target scope a few months ago. This is a single sample example, but I compared this to the following scopes I use for 50 yard 22 lr.
targets.

Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 x 44 SF
Japan Weaver T 10, new AO
Japan Sightron 12 x 42 AO
Japan Weaver V 16 AO
Austrian Kahles CL 3-9 x 42 SF

The Tasco resolved newspaper printing just as well as the others. The Zeiss and especially the Kahles delivered brighter and more vivid colors to my eye. The tracking on this sample was excellent. Buying used can be a hit or miss, but for $100.00, I took the leap of faith.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the late 70's or early 80's I bought a Tasco 6x18 target scope looked like a big Lyman or Unertl with a spring loaded front ring and external adjustments for windage and elevation. Mounted it on my heavy barel 03 in 30-06, it was a very good scope and I put alot of rounds through it.

erich

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
IC B2

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
The Tasco World Class made in Japan were just that... world class. Ovis_Chaser

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remember, older Japanese made, quality vs. cheap,,, Chinese, so, so!!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The old Japanese Tascos made by Hakko are damn good scopes, and incredible for the money. I had two I used as spares, and had to put them on two other rifles when more expensive scopes failed. They won't let me switch back.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have used the Jap made 6x Tascos for many years, the World Class Plus models are very clear and bright, I watch for them at gun show etc, must have a dozen or so, great scopes, I like to have my buddies who dont hunt much look through different 6x scopes, older Leupold 6x's, Nikon Monarchs,Sighron's etc, funny how many will say the Plus models are clearer to their eyes

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have 4 now they all work great for the money you cant beat them low light holding zero marty

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
How does one know if is a Japanese mfg?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ringworm
I would put the tasco titan up against any european or american scope triple its price.

Well said, and very true.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a Tasco Golden Antler made in Japan that came on a rifle I purchased. I'm definitely no glass expert so I wanted to ask if this thing was a decent scope.
Thanks

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a Japanese Tasco that must be 20-25 years old.
Used to have it on my Horse(scabbard) rifle and it never lost zero. It's currently mounted on one of my WSM's while the Conquest(which konked) is in for repairs.
Optically it's not that great but it's taken alot of bumps and keeps on tickin'.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TomS
How does one know if is a Japanese mfg?

The scope will be marked with the country of origin. Most of the Japanese model Tasco scopes will me marked "JAPAN" on the underside of the bell.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a few Nip Tascos from the 80s. Mine are so marked.

My favorite is the 6x24x40AO I bought new about 24 years ago. Still on the same rifle, never a problem and it's a rifle that has killed a dozen or so deer and lots (and lots) of varmints, some of both well beyond 400 yards.

At the time this scope was current, one of the gun rags included it in an article about top shelf target/varmint scopes and begrudgingly gave it an attaboy, especially for the price and clarity.

My buddy the Leupie freak, made fun of the scope when I bought it, but eventually came to accept it. Even caught him looking through it once or twice. ;O)

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by ringworm

Well said, and very true.

Ya, but where are you gonna find an 100 dollar euro to test it against?..

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
There is a difference in some Tasco models that many do not know and it may be that these models were not imported here, (based on that I have never seen any) so I could be wrong, but in 1995 I was given 2 Tasco scopes as I was the heavy caliber writer in Oz.

The object was to see how long they would last, as Tasco didn't know and were interested as much as I was. I was one of those writers who actually tested product and was known to break stocks, scopes and anything else that was not where it was supposed to be.

I put a Tasco World Class "Plus" on a Winchester Featherweight in .30/06 where is still sits today. It has traveled around the world several times, shot over 2000 rounds and never changed zero or even looked like needing a resight.

Now the difference is that there is a model her called Tasco "World Class" but it does not have the additional moniker of "Plus".

I met a Tasco exec who used to work for Leupold and he told me that the "World Class Plus" model had the same lens' and turrets as the Leupold Vari X 3 model. Based on the stability and clarity of that scope both then and now, 15 years later, I have no reason to disbelieve what I was told.

The 2nd scope was a Tasco Titan 1.5-6 with 30mm tube, which I mounded on my .460 Weatherby (After reviewing it on a .458 and .416 Weatherby prior). Being as this is the most powerful .5 MOA varmint rifle every made, the scope has taken past 1000 rounds over the last 15 years and also several long plane trips.

It too, has never required resighting or had a single issue that would make me think it unworthy of being on this exemplary hunting rifle.

I have spare Leupolds laying around, and have in times of weakness considered re-scoping but pulled up short, on the basis that I did not have a problem that needs resolving.

As a writer, I never have to hang my head in shame at using less than premium name product. But, with these Tasco models, and a 15 year test period, I am in a position to say they are as good as any and better than most.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Aussiegunwriter (- not to derail the Tasco thread,) but would you care to comment on the Nikko Stirlings?

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used to have a Tasco outlet store in the neighborhood and picked up a couple of World Class Plus's and a big 52mm Titan when they still had them in their line. The Titan was just too big for what I was doing. Sold it. Traded the variable WCP and still have the fixed 4x WCP. All are nice scopes. A little overkill at 44mm for a 4x, but I use it as a range scope for my muzzleloaders. I love the big ocular lenses on them.
I'm using small light tough Leupies now. Just makes more sense to have 9oz on the rifle instead of 16.
That is a good report Aussiegunwriter, I suspected they might be that good.
At the time they also had a great warranty. Now of course, you get to pay for any fixes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 222ND, 60 invisible), 2,639 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,588
Posts18,473,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.