-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cant really understand the cost argument on 257 Roy vs 25-06. Guys will spend upwards of a $1,000 on a rifle and then argue that its too expensive to reload for the Roy over the 06. According to my math, it cost a guy $1.65 more for every pound of H4350 to reload the 257 Roy over the 25-06 to make 140 cartridges, not a great argument there. After 280 rounds are fired down range, a guy saved $3.30 on powder? I dont think I have fired 280 rounds down range in the last 2 years between all my high powered rifles.

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most guys complain about the cost and availability of brass. Like you said though you drop more then a grand on a gun, whats a hundred more for brass.

Last edited by kenaiking; 02/08/10.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No chit, if you go to my post on this thread, you'll see 6 boxes of Factory Roy ammo loaded with Barnes 100 grain TSX's sitting underneath my Rem. They were $72.99 a box! the cost to play is high.....always has been!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth..._Tell_me_about_the_257_Weath#Post3743105

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea no doubt. I still dont think that would deter me if I wanted the roy. Truth be told I would like to have one of each. Can you really have too many quarter bores smile

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently purchased my first qtr. bore and went the Weatherby route. While initially looking at the brass or factory loaded rounds the prices looked kinda nuts, but without much time invested I found 58 rounds of once fired brass for 25.00 shipped.

Also just received a 100 rounds of Factory Loaded 100g SP through Midway for 33.00 something a box. Yes the premium bullets are high, but 33.00 and change is pretty reasonable in this day and age, especially considering they get 32.00 for a box of 20 rounds of new brass.

So my initial investment was maybe a tad higher for a few rounds of ammo and brass, but not anything that's going to matter in the long run.

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My 25-06AI will push a 100tsx at 3580 or 3000fps, with precision. I like all the quarter-bores, but haven't found one more flexible.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well i'll put my 2cents in here goes.I have had both of these plus the roberts and the 250-3000 .Now they are all great the savage 250 is by far under rated the roberts also great game getters .Now the 25-06 is great I shot my longest game shot with one 405 yards maybe longer they were the deer that is 4 telphone poles down the deer laid after shot.Shot the roy did not see where you needed more gun then the 25-06 .For the price of there ammo isn't that much on game

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've owned, and shot both- and I really see no downside to the .257 Wby.

Loaded with 100 gr. Barnes TSX bullets at 3700 fps (out of my MkV), it is incredibly flat, with energy to spare at very long distances.

It would be hard to imagine a better pronghorn, or mule deer, or whitetail beanfield, caliber. Period.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If I was worried about the cost of the Roy over the 25-06, I would consider quitting hunting and save your money for grocery store gift certificates.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fats
If I was worried about the cost of the Roy over the 25-06, I would consider quitting hunting and save your money for grocery store gift certificates.

Don't think that is a fair assessment ... many folks have to do what they can with less ... not EVERYONE owns three customs topped with Zeiss/Leupold/Swaro (although reading the 24HCF you would think so). I know many hunters who own a 22lr, 12ga and 30-06 (or 30-30) and put meat in the freezer.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
The choice of a Rifle cartridge is not solely based on "speed" - in other words the choice of a Rifle caliber is not a "race".
I have chosen the 25/06 Remington over the 257 Weatherby Magnum several times during the last 3 decades - do to its longer barrel life, its cheaper munitions, better accuracy in factory arms, the 25/06 is way cheaper to reload as well AND I have seen MANY Elk that were killed by the 25/06 Remington.
Less muzzle blast, less recoil and being quicker to re-sell also entered into my decisions!
ONE trip to the custom Riflesmith for re-barreling of the 257 Weatherby Magnum scares about $500.00 worth of crap out of me!
I will never wear out a 25/06 Remington Rifles barrel.
Yep the 257 Weatherby shoots a little flatter and a little faster but the gain with it is simply NOT worth the various down sides to it, in my estimation.
I currently own two Hunting (Varmint Hunting) Rifles in Weatherby calibers - so I am NOT anti-Weatherby at all.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I agree totally. Is getting hit with 50% more recoil, and hearing a big increase in muzzle blast, seeing a big decrease in barrel life, and paying for a big increase in both rifle and ammo costs - all worth 5 to 10 % more bullet speed and a few inches flatter trajectory a quarter of a mile away?

I guess it is to some - but not me. The 25-06 is just so good!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good point, for most people on this forum or any other hunting forum it'd be a lot cheaper to just go to the grocery store but that's not really the point is it? Not many of us here probably did very well in economics?

Originally Posted by BCBrian
I agree totally. Is getting hit with 50% more recoil, and hearing a big increase in muzzle blast, seeing a big decrease in barrel life, and paying for a big increase in both rifle and ammo costs - all worth 5 to 10 % more bullet speed and a few inches flatter trajectory a quarter of a mile away?

With that philosophy a person might as well go with a 250 savage than, it'd do 98% of what the other two would do.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

let me know how that works out for ya...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have a long history with the .257 Wby, as Grandpa sent a Mauser 98 to Roy Weatherby back in the late 1940's or early 1950's to become an early .257 Weatherby. He had to make the brass by shortening, necking down and blowing out .300 H&H brass. This was long before factory ammo for it, and before most of the popular belted magnums. I grew up with that rifle, and it's a honey. Dad still has it, and it still does exactly what a .257 Weatherby is supposed to do.

A few years back I fell hard for the .25-06... Not sure why, but I've always liked the .30-06, and the .25 was more user friendly, so to speak. It's worked great on rockchucks, coyotes and mule deer for me.

Now and again I consider either turning it into a .257 or upgrading to a Weatherby rifle but... I'm having a lot of fun with it as is. Easy to load, easy to shoot and hard on the target.

Regards, Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Turbo, or super-charged? - either chambering is a fast quarter-bore, that gives great velocoties even with the 120 grain bullets.
The Weatherby obviously burns a bit more powder, something to consider if you like to target or varmint shoot with the 75 grain offerings.

The versatility of the .25's! - yeaaah!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
On that note, I would take the 250 (especially improved) over the 257.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Have both and like both...if I was forced to choose I'd go with the package it was wrapped in over the chambering...My .257 Roy is packaged far better than my 25-06...that said both shoot sub inch all day

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BCBrian
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
The choice of a Rifle cartridge is not solely based on "speed" - in other words the choice of a Rifle caliber is not a "race".
I have chosen the 25/06 Remington over the 257 Weatherby Magnum several times during the last 3 decades - do to its longer barrel life, its cheaper munitions, better accuracy in factory arms, the 25/06 is way cheaper to reload as well AND I have seen MANY Elk that were killed by the 25/06 Remington.
Less muzzle blast, less recoil and being quicker to re-sell also entered into my decisions!
ONE trip to the custom Riflesmith for re-barreling of the 257 Weatherby Magnum scares about $500.00 worth of crap out of me!
I will never wear out a 25/06 Remington Rifles barrel.
Yep the 257 Weatherby shoots a little flatter and a little faster but the gain with it is simply NOT worth the various down sides to it, in my estimation.
I currently own two Hunting (Varmint Hunting) Rifles in Weatherby calibers - so I am NOT anti-Weatherby at all.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I love anything 257,so like both. A 257 weatherby firing 120 gr bullets will actually kick a little less than the 270 win firing 130's. So how can a 257 produce 50% more recoil than a 25/06 when shooting same weight bullets? My Roy has a lifetime of shooting in it for me,so unless a person used it for varmits or lived day in day out at the range,barrel life should not be an issue,plus one could throttle back a little for practice/plinking loads(and how many gun nuts love bragging about wearing out a barrel or having to re-barrel old Betsy). Plus for such a flat shooting rifle it is by far cheaper to load and easier to shoot than some other magnums such as 7stw,7rum,7rem,264 win etc.
Nothing against 25/06 it is by far cheaper for the non handloader and performs quite well against the 257. I most likely will never own one as i have a Roy and Roberts and would love to add a 250 savage to the collection if i could find a bolt action 250 or re-barrel a 22-250 if i could find a cheap doner.
If you like the finer things in life the 257 Roy is for you. If you do not handload and want to buy economy ammo and need every last ounce of potential in 25 caliber than the 25/06 is the one to go get. Or like a real rifle looney you could get them both and decide for yourself.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For hunting purposes on the quarter bores. What bullet do you think is most appropriate? (Type & Weight). Type of game would be Mule Deer/ Whitetail/ Hogs/Speed Goats/ Coyote ( Will also include Elk & Black Bear for the select few).

Treestands don't demand. Treestands don't complain.
Treestands simply ask me to sit down and listen.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
100gr TSX will take care of all you listed

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,397
Posts18,488,893
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.