Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
This past weekend, I shot the 1000 yard match once again (barely made it back in town for the match.) The wind was nasty this time, switching from right to left and front and back. I shot a 188-4 on the first match, collecting a pair of 8s. I was really feeling poorly when I started but got into the game. The rifle was performing well and the ammo was great; the shooter was so-so.

The next match I was on a roll starting with a 10, followed by a 9, X, 9 and then a long string of 10s. My puller was doing a great job and I was banging them in, telling myself over and over again, "do your follow through!" I was nearing the end of the string when I got a 7 at 2 o'clock. It was a heck of a suprise. I had not detected any condition change, so I took the next shot holding at the same spot and got a 9 at 3 o'clock. Next shot, I favored left a tad, and got a 9 at 9 o'clock, then I shot an 8, another 9 and then X, X, 10 to finish. Total was 190-3 and that was with a 7 and an 8. I have no clue where that 7 came from. The 8 and 9s were all wind. Nasty wind, I tell ya.

You should have seen the group in the 10-ring, it was all at 6:30 just an inch below the X-ring, about 7 bullet holes easily covered with a fist.

The last match started with a 10 and then a long string of 9s left and right. Towards the end, I finally got into the 10-ring and even managed one lonely X. Total score 189-1. I won the match, but the wind really beat me up. The F-open scores were down also.

The NRA has acknowledged my scores and I will be receiving my LR F-Class Expert, all shot at 1000 yards exclusively. Right now, I seem to be shooting right in that classification, it's going to be tough to get to Master level. I have only one 20 round match that fits in that classification and it's still a range and club record, 194-5.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Okay, so- I am buying a target actioned savage. The questions is- what model. I think I am sticking with the .308 winchester, but am wondering about the twist rate on the palma.

How will the 1 and 13" twist shoot the 168, and 175's? I have a mass of them, as that's what I shoot from my 5-R.

The savage ftr is a 1 and 12", as is the bench rest.

Any suggestions? I was also considering the model 12 precision varmint, as it's a repeater..but when would I really ever need more then one shot at a time?

Thanks for the help,

FMP

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
The 1:13 won't make you happy. If you are going to shoot Palma matches with the 155gr SMK, get the Palma model. I not, get the FTR model.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Complete accident posting here.. Excuse my post FTR.. Thank you for all your help.

FMP

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
Monte, 600 yards being called LR is a joke. I can see why that was changed, especially for F-Class.

I am lucky to live within driving distance (less than 1 hour) from the only available 1000 yard range in southeast Texas. In fact I'm not really aware of any other 1000 yard outside of military bases in the state.

We have lots of people showing up for the monthly LR matches, (1000 yards) coming from all over Texas and Louisiana and Oklahoma also. There is usually 20+ F-class shooters, of which 7+ are F-T/R shooters. We have enough people to even break break the F-T/R into classifications, though we have to combine Expert and SS together. We do not have LR Master F-T/R shooter, but we have several MA/HM LR F-Openers.

The range is always windy, very few trees and only on one side. The flags lie and it's great fun.

We had one F-opener shoot a clean at 1000, some months back. And now our F-openers are all switching to 7MM. I would love to shoot one at 1000 yards with my .308. That would be great.

Waco has whats called Dillon that goes to 1000... you want to learn to shoot... its not quite as bad as Bullis was IMHO, but it wasn't easy... that range is the only time I really shined at a state match... David Tubb shot a 196 with his Tubb2000 and I shot a 200-13x with my service rifle at the 6. And went on to win SR palma ending up placing 3rd overall in palma the next day.... with the SR....

I don't know how often Dillon is open to the public anymore though. Bad deal there and a long story.

Other than that I don't know of another non military 1000 yard range.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
This past weekend, I shot the 1000 yard match once again (barely made it back in town for the match.) The wind was nasty this time, switching from right to left and front and back. I shot a 188-4 on the first match, collecting a pair of 8s. I was really feeling poorly when I started but got into the game. The rifle was performing well and the ammo was great; the shooter was so-so.

The next match I was on a roll starting with a 10, followed by a 9, X, 9 and then a long string of 10s. My puller was doing a great job and I was banging them in, telling myself over and over again, "do your follow through!" I was nearing the end of the string when I got a 7 at 2 o'clock. It was a heck of a suprise. I had not detected any condition change, so I took the next shot holding at the same spot and got a 9 at 3 o'clock. Next shot, I favored left a tad, and got a 9 at 9 o'clock, then I shot an 8, another 9 and then X, X, 10 to finish. Total was 190-3 and that was with a 7 and an 8. I have no clue where that 7 came from. The 8 and 9s were all wind. Nasty wind, I tell ya.

You should have seen the group in the 10-ring, it was all at 6:30 just an inch below the X-ring, about 7 bullet holes easily covered with a fist.

The last match started with a 10 and then a long string of 9s left and right. Towards the end, I finally got into the 10-ring and even managed one lonely X. Total score 189-1. I won the match, but the wind really beat me up. The F-open scores were down also.

The NRA has acknowledged my scores and I will be receiving my LR F-Class Expert, all shot at 1000 yards exclusively. Right now, I seem to be shooting right in that classification, it's going to be tough to get to Master level. I have only one 20 round match that fits in that classification and it's still a range and club record, 194-5.

Here I am.. haven't shot in a while and probably will suck, but let me congratulate you first. And then remind you that if you are not centered for elevation, you screw yourself as the 10 ring becomes narrower and narrower..

Just an observation, and unless you are trying to protect yourself against a certain condition change, being in the center of the x is a much more forgiving place, especially since you know the x ring is twice as big as the ten ring is.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I know, I know. I want to be in the X-ring, but I was so reticent to make any changes as long as I as in the 10-ring. I had the sight picture and the rounds were going into the 10 one after the other. I just had a mental block. I'm still learning.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
NRA has upgraded my LR rating to Expert. Now, on to Master, I hope.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Was out of town.. CONGRATS!!!

I shot my new 308 at 725 last weekend, ran out of elevation, could not make it to 800...
Mirage was horrible on 14x... dunno how you live with 40X.... Had 3 different layers going... was funny to watch, mirage one way, and dust go the other.

Shot a 5 shot group prone off a bipod with holdover and no mil dots etc... that ended up being about 10 inches round.... I know that mostly sucks but it seemed to be holding decent elevation.... bergers expanded nicely in the clay but mostly held together.
The bergers did no favors for javelina either. But not nearly as much damage as I expected.

I guess I'll have to go with a sloped rail and who knows beyond that.... FWIW I was 1.3 inches high at 100 and took about 25 moa to get to 725... I only had 23 left....

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Yes, they updated the records on Friday and they bumped me up. Looks like BRI does a very good job at sending the results quickly.

5-shot group in 10 inches at 750 could be a little problematic so you do need to get used to the rifle and the groups will shrink. On the other hand, we really do not shoot for groups, we shoot for score. So if you superpose the group over the FC-target, it may be a little better than you think.

I have 20MOA canted rails on both match rifles.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't think that group size was representative at all... heat of the day, aiming at a dark spot on a dirt pile because I couldn't see the cactus leaf we put at the base from prone.... wind shifty... elevation was under MOA... windage was interesting... the mirage going different directions etc.....
And then the fact that the dark spot was actually a holdover issue and such...

Of course the only way to know for sure is shoot it on paper, but I now have only 2 options, put burris rings on or get a rail.... I may just put rings on for the time being.

I am now owner of 16 more pounds of Varget though... but I need to look into more bullets....

But yeah, it may well be the issue of the bipod too.... and didn't help with cactus and mesquite thorns sticking my belly without a mat...

I was looking at a light IE TI rail, but then realized the gun isn't light to start with....
Any suggestions on a rail?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
EGW makes some pretty good aluminum rails...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Was thinking/wondering... would a good steel rail help stiffen the action even more though?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Depends... is it a Winchester wink

Seriously, though... unless its epoxied/welded in place, I don't see a few tiny 6x40 (or whatever the thread pattern is) screws adding much in the way of rigidity.

If you want steel, Warne & Farrell are both pretty good. Warne is fairly low profile, Farrell are pretty darned high - not entirely a bad thing if using a 56mm objective and then tilting it *down* in the front.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I don't know if I told you about my Match .308 rifle. It is a Ruger M77, the old tang version, circa 1983. I rebarreled it with a top of the line heavy 32 inch barrel. The stock is a Boyds that I installed some years back. It's their varmint/target model, they don't make it any more. The trigger is a Timney. The cheap Weaver T-36 on the rifle did not have enough elevation to reach 600 yards in the standard Ruger rings. I tossed the rings and installed Burris adapters instead. On top of those I use Burris Zee Signature rings with the plastic inserts to get me the forward cant that I needed. I boresighted various combinations until I saw that I was about 3 feet high at 100 yards. It was epic and kludgy but it works for me.

So listen to Monte, he has a real rifle with proper accoutrements, not a Rube Goldberg contraption like mine. He'll steer you right.

SO, where did you get your brace of Varget kegs, I'm starting to look around for more as I will soon be starting my last 8lbs keg.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
traded for them... I have to order 2 kegs of other powder to replace them for a friend thats starting to shoot a 6.5x284 now instead of 308.... I"m slow to order since I need to order some one pounders of test powder too....just haven't figured out what all I want to test in some guns.... RL25 and RL22 for sure, RL17..... And maybe a bit of Ramshot Hunter possibly... REally want some N560 but thats out until later from what I hear..

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Does he have more Varget?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Nope, but if you want some, PM or email me, I'll look up the price and you can have my price when I order in the next month... or if you are in a bind, you can have one of mine.... I don't know that my dealer costs are any less than a good deal from powder valley or similar.....

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Definitely interested in a brace of 8lbs kegs of Varget.

BTW,are you going to be at TSRA next month at Swift? I have made my arrangements and sent in my registration already. Let's see if I can learn to turn a scope's knobs properly.

I hope to be at the 1000 yard match in April and you're supposed to be at the one in May, remember?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sinclair has Varget in stock...

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (12344mag, 02bfishn, 1234, 1lessdog, 163bc, 01Foreman400, 64 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,572
Posts18,491,887
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.