Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I live in Oregon and it rains a lot in the fall so I prefer stainless and synthetic stocks to wood less up keep. I am not a
artist to me a rifle is a tool. And hunting the wet woods in Oregon I always end up having to spend some time on up keep with wood stocks removing dings ect?

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

What's your pref's and why...

Define "old" first...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Define "old guy(s)" for me.

I'm nearly 52, but don't feel much different then I recall feeling at age 30.

Stainless, 'cause Nebraska has humid summers and if I take a rifle out to play with, I don't want to worry about rusting. That said, since stainless costs more, my truck guns are rusty blued CM with dented/scratched wood stocks.

Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

What's your pref's and why...

Define "old" first...

If you gotta ask ... guess what!! smile smile smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Spot, for me its both, A nice walnut stock is just something that you want. My first Kimber montana last year sold me on the SS/synthetic stock concept. I think until I find that its time for me to stop shooting deer its wood for nice days, Montana for all the others.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i grew up reading jack o'connor and started using using a wood/blue tang ruger (270 win, of course) back in the early 70's. after a little sealing, it never gave me a problem through many seasons in alaska. i went throuh a brief 5 year stint with s/s rifles, but i only have one s/s 270 left, and it will be gone as soon as my grandson gets old enough or my son wants to move it to his home. i've been back to wood/blue for several years and have no desire for anything else. i don't mind the wear on metal or the dents in wood - in fact i kind of like them. ymmv

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I'm almost 66, and drawing Social Security, so I guess I'm there in the old guys catagory.
I dearly love classic rifles with gorgeous wood. My idea of what I want to hunt with as my hunting days are ending. Maybe if I say enough nice things about Ingwe's rifles, he'll let me have one of his to do that with ?
OK, I'm a hopeless dreamer.....
The truth is I don't have such rifles for big game hunting. All of mine have stainless barrels and synthetic stocks. All of them are built with the idea they are going to mean country and are going to hunted hard. All of them are designed and built or modified to work under those conditions. None of them are blued. They feature the most weather resistant, flat black paint for finishes, for instance.
It's not that I can't afford nice rifles. It's just that I don't have the time or inclination to keep up such guns when used under such conditions.
I know those who do and that's fine for them. Maybe someday I will too, but not yet. E

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have heard too many ss rifles having problems.I have worked on some and it seems that they are not as slick as cm rifles.
I just like the look of wood and it you seal it up it should not have problems.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
I just hunted with a stainless rifle, synthetic stock for the first time ( besides varmints) last year..
I REALLY liked it...didn't have to worry about scuffing it etc.Killed a deer over a mile from the road, put him in a roll-up sled, along with the rifle...virtually hosed it off when I got home... grin

Wouldnt have done that with blue/walnut... wink

Ingwe

Wow Ingwe I have to get me one of those rifles you can shoot a deer with a mile away...sorry I couldn't, or rather wouldn't control myself.

Randy

By the way I am the same in that I appreciate the servicability of the stainless although my eye apprecciates fine grain wood and polished blue. I have two stainless, a Tikka T3 Lite in 06, and a Ruger mini thirty in 7.62x39. All the rest are wood/blue or wood natural.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not old, but am going to respond anyway because I like "classic" styling. However, I do like the piece of mind stainless brings, but it has to be coated to look like bluing in order for me to like the looks of the gun.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by medicman

Wow Ingwe I have to get me one of those rifles you can shoot a deer with a mile away...sorry I couldn't, or rather wouldn't control myself.

Randy

Seeeee....thats another good thing about stainless/synthetic...the accuracy..

I didn't really shoot the deer from the road ( thats illegal here)....

I got out of the truck, walked across the burrow pit and rested the rifle on a fencepost, so it was really like 5279ft. away.......... whistle

grin
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess I am a traditionalist at heart and while I can see the appeal of ss/syn I cant go past the wood/blue for my own rifles. For me now it is the pleasure of carrying a pleasing to the eye rifle that brings satisfaction. I have never had a ss/syn rifle since my first in 1959. If I was looking for a rifle now that may have to go the distance I think I would look favourable at the ss/syn side as some have made quite an impression on me over the last few years however my wood/blue combo's will see me out. I dont hunt in hard weather now anyway.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only have one stainless rifle out of about 3 dozen. I bought it for looks only and it still wears walnut (it's a lever action). I'm old enough that if it's that wet outside to warrant an ss/syn rifle, I probably don't need to be out there either.

"A free people (claim) their rights as derived from the laws of nature, and not as the gift of their chief magistrate."
--Thomas Jefferson, Rights of British America, 1774
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like blue/walnut. That said, I've had my fair share of synthetic/stainless guns. I finally settled (for the most part) on coated stainless in a good synthetic stock. It's been my experience that the stainless barrel give the best cold bore performance and accuracy - YMMV.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm experienced, not OLD! grin

I have a 50/50 mix of both and I like each for different reasons.

However, the synthetic stocks with free floating barrels are the most consistent and reliable.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm 64 years old and have slowly evolved into stainless.

The only remaining blue/walnut rifle I have is a M70 Supergrade Classic .270 Win. it is very accurate therefore deemed to be "keeper status".

I have two blue actions with custom stainless barrels, and all my other rifles including a new Vanguard are stainless.

I don't think I would spend a dime or go to the trouble of having one coated.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by John_G
I think that a lot depends on where you hunt and what kinds of conditions you face. Here on the rainy west coast the ss is fantastic. I love wood-blued guns but they simply cannot take the punishment that an ss gun can.
Says it all..

I've not been in condtions that I've needed SS/syn.. Doesn't say it can't happen.. But I've carried a certain PF M70 around for over 35 years and I'm not sure there's more than one more teeny ding on the stock or bluing from when I bought it..

A tool it is, but I take care of my tools..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I guess I can be classed as old, though I don't feel old. When I buy a ticket to the movies they sell me a child�s ticket. I'm not sure if that is supposed to be a price reduction for a "senior" or if it is just supposed to confuse us.

Anyway...I really like the classic style with blued steel and walnut, but have used a stainless Ruger M77 in 300 Win magnum as a traveling rifle for a long time. I hunted in Alaska and never noticed a rust problem with a blued 338Win Ruger. I switched from a Browning Safari to a stainless Kimber Montana in 308 for most of my hunting when the Browning was stolen. I love the light weight and accuracy. I'm still getting used to the stainless part. Both my Ruger traveling rifle and the Kimber wear black CeraKote finish and I wish the Kimber had a walnut stock.

Harry
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a couple of varmint rifles in stainless & plywood and really can't warm up to them. There would be no point in having a stainless/syn rifle for me as I can't even like the varmint rifles I have. They shoot fine but just have no warmth to them.
And yes, I guess I am getting old___er just can't admit to it yet.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In addition to stainless/blued and older hunters set in their preferences, the lever actions used by the seniors used to dominate camps when I was younger.
Now, I have not seen a lever in a hunting camp for several years.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,831
Posts18,517,019
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.