Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I live on a busy highway about 7 miles from town. It simply amazes me the number of people that stop in my driveway to talk on thier cell phones, comb thier hair, or what ever. My cockerspaniels love to watch the traffic go by and always let us know if someone stops.

I also get more than my fair share of bums claiming that they have run out of gas or need to use the phone. After dark, I usually meet these folks at the door with a shiney nickel plated S&W 29 stuck in my waistband. It seems to draw their attention, and brings out generous offers to pay for the gas or phone.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
If I wanted to case someone, I would not park in their driveway to do it. The guy is either really stupid or not casing. Are you expecting to get served with any papers?

Is this a voice of experience speaking?

Just kidding. I agree. IMHO anybody casing the joint would not pull into your driveway. Maybe it was just a wrong turn.

fish head

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fish head
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
If I wanted to case someone, I would not park in their driveway to do it. The guy is either really stupid or not casing. Are you expecting to get served with any papers?

Is this a voice of experience speaking?

Just kidding. I agree. IMHO anybody casing the joint would not pull into your driveway. Maybe it was just a wrong turn.

fish head

yea well when you have long drive you are even more not noticed had it happen to me about 10,000 worth ..
gate is honest deterent but bolt cutters are allways handy for those guys..

I would do gate and trail cam if i could do it over ...new owner put gate up driveway over 2 miles long totaly seculeded..

I HATE THIVES WITH A PASSION.. mad

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
i have footprints in the snow all the way around my house like people are looking in my windows.

apparently i need to sit up at night with lights on and clean my shotgun.

Nope, no lights and a loaded shotgun!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ak,

Being a former bodyguard, I know a thing or two about security; here's the basics. The four cornerstones of security; learn this, get creative with it and you're all set.

Deter
Detect
Delay
Respond

Deterrence � This can be motion sensing lights, large dogs in the yard or one of the little alarm signs sticking out of the grass telling them you have a security system. A neighborhood littered with Neighborhood Watch signs is a good idea. Always have an NRA sticker in your window where it can easily be seen from the street, and I also recommend putting a Liberty Safes sticker or something of the sort in there too.

Detect � Again, the motion sensing lights, or an alarm that goes off inside the house (sometimes it�s an internal light that goes on to silently alert you). A great one is the motion sensing light that goes on and stays on for about 10 minutes, makes them think someone is looking at them. The ultimate is the very vocal dog; just about foolproof.

Delay � Security fences, rose bushes under windows, GOOD locks and dead bolts. If you�re really paranoid, consider something like bird spikes on the outside window cill�s, which make climbing in very inconvenient. A simple board in a sliding door track makes it very difficult to get past a sliding door. There are any number of window locks that are very good. But here's the thing about locks...you have to use them. One window left cracked open defeats every last security measure you have.

Respond � Here�s where the alarm system comes in. Yes, this is detect, but it doesn�t detect until they�re already inside the house. If you want to minimize loss, then make sure your alarm has a very loud external noise source, bell or horn.

Dogs � The properly trained dog can be all 4 of the security cornerstones. We easily drop a grand on a gun, but the same into a well trained dog is a very wise investment.

A sense of community � Neighborhood watch friggin works, period. Get to know your neighbors, get to know them well. Your introduction could be your informing them that your house has been cased, which should concern them, because their house could be next. Find out their schedules and habits and organize.

There are any number of twists to the four cornerstones of security, so get creative thinking about your particular needs.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
anti personal mines and few claymore around the property.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Ak,

Being a former bodyguard, I know a thing or two about security; here's the basics. The four cornerstones of security; learn this, get creative with it and you're all set.

Deter
Detect
Delay
Respond

Deterrence – This can be motion sensing lights, large dogs in the yard or one of the little alarm signs sticking out of the grass telling them you have a security system. A neighborhood littered with Neighborhood Watch signs is a good idea. Always have an NRA sticker in your window where it can easily be seen from the street, and I also recommend putting a Liberty Safes sticker or something of the sort in there too.

Detect – Again, the motion sensing lights, or an alarm that goes off inside the house (sometimes it’s an internal light that goes on to silently alert you). A great one is the motion sensing light that goes on and stays on for about 10 minutes, makes them think someone is looking at them. The ultimate is the very vocal dog; just about foolproof.

Delay – Security fences, rose bushes under windows, GOOD locks and dead bolts. If you’re really paranoid, consider something like bird spikes on the outside window cill’s, which make climbing in very inconvenient. A simple board in a sliding door track makes it very difficult to get past a sliding door. There are any number of window locks that are very good. But here's the thing about locks...you have to use them. One window left cracked open defeats every last security measure you have.

Respond – Here’s where the alarm system comes in. Yes, this is detect, but it doesn’t detect until they’re already inside the house. If you want to minimize loss, then make sure your alarm has a very loud external noise source, bell or horn.

Dogs – The properly trained dog can be all 4 of the security cornerstones. We easily drop a grand on a gun, but the same into a well trained dog is a very wise investment.

A sense of community – Neighborhood watch friggin works, period. Get to know your neighbors, get to know them well. Your introduction could be your informing them that your house has been cased, which should concern them, because their house could be next. Find out their schedules and habits and organize.

There are any number of twists to the four cornerstones of security, so get creative thinking about your particular needs.
Good post, Kevin, and right on..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to look into the fake video cameras and signage, already have 2 dogs but don't know how they would react to someone breaking into our house. We cannot be seen from the street unless you look real hard and in the summer, you can just about forget it. I know my neighbors well and they have had trouble with thieves in the past but not recently. I'm amazed at some of the stuff my neighbors leave unguarded, snowmachines, boats and trailers, atvs and they have not had anything stolen.
Should someone be stupiid enough to break in while i'm there, they will be in for a rude awakening when I point Mr 44 at them with those solids being visible in the cylinders.

Funny thing about the motion sensor lights, we originally had them when we bought our house but I took them down and put up regular lights, the motion sensor lights were driving me crazy

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too have done security work and KG is right.

Stop gap measure for me would be...

1) Motion sensor lights at the end of the driveway and and a sign that says they are on camera. (lighted up and on camera, no crook wants his pic taken)
2) Have the motion detectors wired to 2 lights in house. Bedroom and room with front door. If the room with front door is put on a timer and delayed for 30 seconds it would be better. (no crook wants to see activity in house)

This would be the basic stop gap deterent, until you get the gates.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have you seen the movie "Second Hand Lions"?

seems to work..

I always shoot lots round my place. Word spreads..

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How about a security system that is monitored...they break in and alarm goes off and monitoring company gets LEO on the way...I pay less than $20 a month for monitoring as well as smoke and fire detection tied into the service...fire department comes fast...don't ask

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep, saw the movie but we cannot shoot in our neighborhood, unless of course it's at a criminal or a maurading bear.

dvdgeorge, that's something else i'm thinking about though i'm not sure if they offer that here in our neck of the woods.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Should someone be stupiid enough to break in while i'm there, they will be in for a rude awakening when I point Mr 44 at them with those solids being visible in the cylinders.

I think criminals deserve hollow points!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd look into it....cheap insurance and it also acts as a deterrent, monitoring company will give you yard signs and window stickers...criminals will usually not want any part of that and look for a more easily accessible target

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also a large breed dog that barks is a good deterrent, doesn't necessarily have to be attack train, usually criminal doesn't want to find out if it's vicious first hand

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I know it would make the wife feel better if they offer that up here. I've got a lab that barks at any kind of noise outside, might be why we haven't had any visitors come by in the past.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My drive is about like what your talking about. 500 yrd long easement thru the neighbor in front of me. I used to have people come up and turn around all the time, just lookin around i guess. I put up two motion flood lights on the entrance that shine right in the drivers eyes from each side and a private property sign. Its a bitch to drive thru these lights, but if you know their there its not such a suprise. Has worked so far.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like I should put a private property sign too. Or I could do like that old fella over in North Pole use to do and put up a sign that says "Trespassers will be shot on sight".

Steelhead

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always liked the sign on the driveway that said:

"If you're reading this you're in range."

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I remember the one on Nordale Road:

Trespassers will be shot!

Survivors will be prosecuted.

Newer version:

Trespassers will be shot!

Survivors will be shot again!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 222Sako, 1badf350, 1234, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 13,712 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,160
Posts18,542,841
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.