Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I once owned a Dunlap rifle with the modification you mention. It is an excellent precaution, which fortunately I have never had a need for. Why Winchester failed to adopt it is beyond me.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not had many perce primers out side of match shooters and have never had the problem with my current actions from Weber. But then again I no longer shoot like I used to. Just don't have the opertunity like I did when Roy was still alive and I could drive to his shop in Tuson. I think that Winchester would have herd lots of complants about the angle iron look on the shroud from non-match shooters that had no clue. How many folks do yu think have put 6 barrels on their old Model 70's?

Last edited by 3sixbits; 02/16/10.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
One other reason for misfires under freezing conditions is congealed lubricants. Marines in North Korea during the winter of 1950-51 found that alcohol based hair oil was superior to any petroleum products under conditions of extreme cold.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
How many folks do yu think have put 6 barrels on their old Model 70's?

Here's one.

My match rifle is in the 23,XXX serial number range. I used to get 2000 rounds out of a new barrel, then have it cut off and rechambered and use it for another 2000 rounds. Some of my best scores were shot with rechambered barrels.

X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
One of the reasons Mausers handle gas better, aside from the flange on the bolt shroud, is the thumb cut, which allows the gas to vent harmlessly off to the side. So a weakness in one respect can be a strength in another.

I was once shooting an M 1917 Enfield when the whole case gave way (my only serious reloading error, just under 50 years ago). If I had not been wearing glasses, I would have a glass eye now and be shooting left handed. As it was, I picked bits of brass out of my face and scalp for years afterwards.

It always pays to check cartridge cases for double powder charges when using reduced loads.

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by 3sixbits
The late , great ROY DUNLAP had a wonderful cure for the model-70 and it eliminated the gas in the face problem once and for all.

Ed Lapour makes a model 70 safety with a gas flange setup.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've enjoyed reading this guys, thank you.

One of my hardest gun nut decisions lately is what to do with a 1947 Type II std 270 barrelled action I have squirrelled away. I haven't been able to decide... wink

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's great.

Have you ever had a case blow while shooting a Model 70 Winchester?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
The only other case I had blow was in an M1A barrelled to .276 Pederson, the original cartridge the Garand rifle was built around. It turned out to be very pressure sensitive.

When the case let go, it wrecked the stock and the magazine, but harmed neither the action nor the shooter. The M1/M14 system handles gas very well from the shooter's standpoint.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RickF
I've enjoyed reading this guys, thank you.

One of my hardest gun nut decisions lately is what to do with a 1947 Type II std 270 barrelled action I have squirrelled away. I haven't been able to decide... wink

Put it in a stock and shoot it..... grin wink..................bet it's a drill...

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

B
B
This has been a very interesting topic. But I wonder how much dose it really matter which action you use in real life. Unless you are loading to max the average load that most will use will never be bad enough to cause either action to fail.

I am also interested to know if anyone has had anything to do with the new FN built M70 winchester Magnum actions that are being released in 375H&H 416Rem. There is also another magnum calibre but I cannot remember what that one was.
The improvements on this new action may solve some of the alledged problems associated with the M70.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That's great.

John,
As a matter of fact, I recently had a defective .300RUM case blow in my model 70 SS. The brass split a hairline crack about 1/2 inch along the length of the case towards the rear and blew out just in front of the rim.

The gas was handled adequately to the point that I never knew it happend until I opened the bolt and released the remnants of the gas "cloud".

There wa no evidence of the occurence to the rifle or my person.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 458Win

I have seen freezing and wet, rusting conditions where M-70's failed to fire due to their shorter, weaker firing pin fall.
Methinks that may (the operative word there) have more to do with owner's failure to properly prep his rifle for adverse weather conditions than any real fault of the rifle..

I've used M70s for deer hunting in northern TAX HELL WISCONSIN in temps around -30F and never had a problem.. But I prep the rifle by fully stripping the bolt, spring, shroud etc., and ensure they're 'dry' (lube-wise) before I reassemble.. In over 35 years, I've had exactly ONE misfire on a M70 during deer season. It was my son's .264WM and after it occured I realized I had neglected to prep his rifle.. It was my fault. That night, I stripped it down, cleaned all bolt parts, striker and shroud and put it together.. Next few days, same weather, the rifle functioned perfectly..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Have had an M-70 and a M-700 both fail to ignite a primer...on game. It was a 70 degree day for the M-70 and above freezing with that other brand.

Redneck, you certainly know by now that my preparation is impecable...it could not have been my fault...:)

Am sticking with the mouser. It ignites primers with or without tender loving care...

Defend the Constitution
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by JS_LaCourse
As in Winchester South Carolina made 375 H&H?

Well da grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That's great.

John,
As a matter of fact, I recently had a defective .300RUM case blow in my model 70 SS. The brass split a hairline crack about 1/2 inch along the length of the case towards the rear and blew out just in front of the rim.

The gas was handled adequately to the point that I never knew it happend until I opened the bolt and released the remnants of the gas "cloud".

There wa no evidence of the occurence to the rifle or my person.

John

Model 70 classics have a gas block on the bolt that is suppose to prevent gas form going down the left raceway. Looks like it works or worked in your case.
Does nay one have a pic or a description of the Roy Dunlap mod?

Last edited by BWalker; 02/17/10.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tomk
Have had an M-70 and a M-700 both fail to ignite a primer...on game. It was a 70 degree day for the M-70 and above freezing with that other brand.
70F? I thought you said in the post above that it failed in freezing weather?? Could it have also been a bad primer? I've had that happen with a customer's rifle in 30-06.. Three rounds failed.. They wouldn't go off in any rifle, and those were factory rounds.. Found out the primers were defective..

Redneck, you certainly know by now that my preparation is impecable...it could not have been my fault...:)
I know nothing.. laugh laugh

Am sticking with the mouser. It ignites primers with or without tender loving care...
You got a cat that ignites primers?? Must be SOME cat.. OHHHHHHh,, you mean 'Mauser'...

JUST kidding ya... Heheheheheeee..

Last edited by Redneck; 02/18/10.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I thought I only posted once. Don't remember saying anything about freezing weather...must have been that other less experienced guy...:)

Red, I suspected primer, particularly the always mentioned oil on the primer, but after shooting said buck with the next round, another hit made it go off, no problem. Same with the M-700. That's my daughters rifle and was sitting right next to her when it happened. Handed her my 98 to do the killing...

My above post was certainly not meant to dis the M-70 or the M-700...am sure they make fine bench rifles...:)

Defend the Constitution
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You're right - it was the other guy who mentioned freezing weather..

Although, you brought to mind a question I should ask: Do you store your bolt rifles with the striker in the fired position? Or left cocked?

I always advocate storing the M70 (or any bolt rifle) with the striker in the fired position so the firing pin spring won't take a 'set' or weaken..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Normally the fired position...but that is a lot to remember. I have trouble remembering my name and that isn't a recent development. I suppose I should pay a little more attention to my more delicately built rifles...:)

Did replace the M-70 FP spring with a heavier one. Do you know how hard it is to find a 100# M-70 spring?

In fairness to the other brand that my daugher uses (and I'm all about fairness as you know) it then had one of those convoluted saftey first, FP setups. Replaced. She has since been slaying w/o incidents. Should have seen the look on her face--and what she said can't be repeated in polite company...

Defend the Constitution
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

210 members (300_savage, 16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 32 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,253
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.