Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tomk
Normally the fired position...
Good... smile

Did replace the M-70 FP spring with a heavier one. Do you know how hard it is to find a 100# M-70 spring?
Question is, why would you need one anywhere near that strong???

I've installed a few Tubb kits.. Those are very good..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
just pulling your leg, my friend....

I don't remember the specifics, just bumped it up a notch for a little insurance.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mauser hands down however if I was building a new gun I would invest in a
Prechtl Mauser action, it is the finest bolt action I have ever seen and handled!

Dino

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ugly bolt handle

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 500_416Dino
Prechtl Mauser action, it is the finest bolt action I have ever seen and handled!
Dino

Never heard of it til now.

[Linked Image]

http://www.golmatic.de/Waffen_EN/jagdwaffen_en/jagdwaffen_en.htm

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Dino

Dino, you may be right.......I need you to buy one for me smile

I would agree with Phil that a Mauser may be tougher overall than most anything else(paraphrasing what he said of course),and less likely to fail under tough conditions.....But I have yet to have a problem with a pre 64,so they get the nod for me......that said i would take a good Mauser just as fast.

If I were to spend $15-$20k for a wood stocked,dangerous game bolt gun, the Prechtl would be at the top of the heap......and I would keep the original Mauser trigger,too.

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/20/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Bob

It is amazing that after a 100+ years the Mauser action is still so desired and revered. The Winchester Pre-64 as well is adorned by the masses much more so than it's Classic replacement. It just goes to show you that if it ain't broke don't fix it, in a 100 years the only thing that has improved is the metal process in some of the firearm parts and the advances in bullet construction.

By the way I bought you the Mcmillan Legacy now you want a Prechtl build-your kill'n me !!

Dino

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Dino: Quit sqwawkin' and buy the Prechtl.....! grin

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by free_miner
both of them are in common use and well proven. The Winchester has better off-the-shelf capability to accept various long magnum cartridges, but proper magazine boxes are readily available for the Mauser.

The biggest differences functionally is that the Mauser has better gas shielding and a better designed extractor.

I am showing off my lack of knowledge, but I'll ask anyway. Are the various CZ550 functionally inferior to these two choices? I ask because they are my primary controlled round feed rifles, aside from one commercial Mauser 98 action, also with the safety on the right side of the action rather than on the bolt as with the Model 70 and Mauser 98 military models.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Carson, I have never had a CZ but from what I read and hear they have a very good reputation.

I have never heard they are are functionally inferior in any way.Those that actually own them will likely chime in. smile

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Carson
Originally Posted by free_miner
both of them are in common use and well proven. The Winchester has better off-the-shelf capability to accept various long magnum cartridges, but proper magazine boxes are readily available for the Mauser.

The biggest differences functionally is that the Mauser has better gas shielding and a better designed extractor.

I am showing off my lack of knowledge, but I'll ask anyway. Are the various CZ550 functionally inferior to these two choices? I ask because they are my primary controlled round feed rifles, aside from one commercial Mauser 98 action, also with the safety on the right side of the action rather than on the bolt as with the Model 70 and Mauser 98 military models.

I don;t have a CZ, but my ZKK's have the full C-ring breeching that the 98 does, as well as the undercut exctractor groove, and I'm pretty certain the CZ is the same.

The ZKK does not have a full shroud that blocks the left side, but I think the CZ does.

Both the CZ and ZKK trigger assemblies have more parts than an entire 98k action.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The model 70 has a 3 position safety the Mauser does not! The model 70 is a more refined action with all the bells & whistles on the rifle factory installed already. Both actions have a very long and excellent track record.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I look at the CZ as a hybid between the Mauser and the M70. Same extractor system as both, same ejection as a M70, recoil lug/tang/bedding like a Mauser. I really like the neat little take down button similiar to the M70 that CZ has. I really think the CZ is under-rated. The thing I dislike about the CZ is what free miner pointed out. The trigger is a bit over-engineered. I'd rather the simpler M70 or Mauser trigger.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The M 70 trigger is no longer simple, sad to say. On a CZ you can replace the factory trigger with a good old two stage Mauser trigger which is bulletproof and allows a fine pull as well.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
EDMHunter,
Just read your post, no arguement with me, hope it didn't sound that way, if so then I apoligize, the typed word can be misleading as it comes without expression.

The old M-70 Win. trigger was the best ever, it's pretty dumb to fix something that ain't broke.

As to the comparison of the two, they are both my favorite rifles, but a high dollar custom Mauser is a better rifle than the M-70 IMO..for a number of reasons that have mostly been covered in this thread, but you won't go wrong with either one.

Off topic but I have CZ 550 on a 416Rigby and a 300H&H
also have both of the others. 2 Mauser on a 308 Norma mag
M70 is not big game
I am also CFeed only for Big game

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by atkinson
I take exception to the recoil lug on a Mauser being too small, that is absurd, ask about any Gun Guild member...The Mauser handles gas escape much better..The Mauser is hardened on the outside and soft in the middle so it will bulge, even split but not fly into sharpnel, wherein a M-70 will fracture and chunks will fly in all directions. I won't argue the point but am only making some statements to give some understanding as to my choice...If you looking to save bucks then the M-70 is a winner, as a lot of what needs doing is done at the factory, no doubt about that..One of the reasons I use and prefer both, but the Mauser is my DG rifle hands down, and my preference for any bolt gun and for many more reasons than stated...Much has been written on the subject so I won't pursue it further..

Ray I wanted to hear reasons you had picked Mauser's. What I ment was I was not wanting to start a fight between people who favor one or the other. I like to hear the good and bad points of each and make my own decision. You have alot of knowledge and experience with both and I was hoping to learn something from you.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E

Dino

Does anyone import these action in the US? What is the cost? Looks great!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it's anything like the built Mausers I saw on my last trip to Germany...10K to 12K USD would be my guess for a Prechtl gun

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi

New England Custom Guns in Meridan NH was bringing them in, I am not sure if they still are? They used the action in some of their custom builds as well they import the Reimer Johannsen rifles which used the same action. The high end Mauser rifles that were coming in a few years ago through SIG were also using the same action.

Prechtl puts a lot of time in the finish work on these actions, there in a league of their own.

www.newenglandcustomgun.com

603-469-2450 ?

Dino

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 53 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,414
Posts18,489,049
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.