Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I am wondering if anyone has experience making their own tent stakes out of carbon arrows. I have a bunch of broken arrow shafts that I could still get a stake or two out of. I am look for something to insert on the butt end that can be hammered and keep the rope from slipping off. Any sugestions?

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My experience with carbon arrow shafts is that they won't stand up to pounding into the ground unless you have very soft soil with no rocks. And if you have that, I bet they wouldn't hold, no cross-section to speak of.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Use carbon arrow inserts with a washer sliped on before you glue in the insert. May work well if you can find some washers with just the right diameter hole in them?
Just heavy by the time you put an insert at both ends, and a field point in the other so you can drive it into the ground. You could buy some ultralight titanium or aluminum pegs for a reasonable $ and be done with it.

Somewhere, there is a village missing its idiot!!!
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
try using a golf tee... you will need to make a squared -off notch where the tee meets the cut off end of the arrow tube so that it doesn't split the carbon out. there should be no flare where the tee sits inside the arrow or it will split.

get some roofing nails with the plastic washers and then glue the tee with the washer on it with epoxy to the inside of the arrow.... this will work for the most part but don't expect to be hitting them with a hammer without breaking them. be gentle and they should work and hell... they are cheap to build.

now that i think about it, just glue the roofing nail inside the arrow......

Last edited by wyolostandfound; 02/08/10.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I have used aluminum arrow shafts for snow stakes and they work pretty good.

Ed T

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
what did you use on the hammering end?

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Try 6" aluminum gutter spikes

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here are some you can buy - not sure what you can get from the pics and description, but it also gives you a weight you can shoot for.

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/stakes.html

I ran the idea of carbon fiber stakes past our local ultra-light gear expert(chief gear reviewer for backpackinglight.com)and his advice was not worth it! Even the super light weight gear freaks don't want to risk a shattered stake - that seems to happen a bit too often with carbon. This is a guy who re-packs his freeze dried food - because the wrapper is too heavy and carries a 1/2" square chunk of kitchen sponge for a toothbrush!- FWIW

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pretty sure the idea with carbon stakes is to bring one aluminum needle stake to "pre-drill" the holes. Definitely not something I want to have to do. Those gutter spikes look interesting.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
salmotrutta I actually did get this idea after looking at Ti goat stakes ,and it seemed like a good use of broken arrows. I am glade people have informed my how weak they are. Sounds like they are better suited for snow stakes.

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
wyo,

For snow stakes, I can just push them in, so no hammer head is necessary.

Ed T

E
E
Ive never understood why people outside of Hawaii don't just sharpen a stick? Most serious outdoorsman carry a knife or machete/hatchet and can easily sharpen a few stakes.

Best of all? Sticks are the lightest tent stakes you can find.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EvanB
Ive never understood why people outside of Hawaii don't just sharpen a stick? Most serious outdoorsman carry a knife or machete/hatchet and can easily sharpen a few stakes.

Sticks? Durned if I'm walking 40 miles to find a stick. grin Idaho's high desert:
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The aluminum gutter spikes do work great ,they are lightweight durable and designed to be pounded in .
I silicone a short piece of spiderwire fishing line loop to them .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I used some carbon arrows to make lighter stakes for my Montana decoy- field tips on the downside. The connection- aluminum shafting- is the weakest spot. Fine for my application

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
E
E
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by EvanB

Sticks? Durned if I'm walking 40 miles to find a stick. grin Idaho's high desert:
[Linked Image]

good point, in desert or above the treeline camping i definitely see the point of packing stakes

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (1_deuce, 1badf350, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 204guy, 50 invisible), 2,631 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,472,005
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.