Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What do you shoot? Bow (weight, draw length), Arrows, Broadheads; How long have you been at it and what do you like to hunt each year?

I'm a Traditional newbe myself (20+yrs compound), just upgraded to a Hoyt Dorado - 35# at my 28" draw. I'm shooting 29" Easton 1816's w/ 100gr points and been killing paper since the first of the year. I've been averaging right around 230 on the NFAA 300 round. I'd like to find a set of 45# limbs and hunt Antelope, Mule Deer and Elk come fall. How bout you?

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been at it for about 2 years. No telling as to the bows that come and go, but I have a 62" Toelke Whip 5028 and a Quinn Stallion 5128 that I am currently shooting. Arrows are either Carbon Express 150 or Gold Tip 5575 depending on the weight I'm after. Point weight varies depending on arrow and which bow I'm shooting at the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a lot of recurves, longbows, and compounds, but nine times out of 10 I grab my 50# Bear Montana and a handfull of 2016s tipped with 100 grains. Last year I hunted with that rig tipped with 100 grain Rocket Steelheads. In IBO competition I use woodies in the longbow class. Probably ain't gonna make it this year to the indoor state championship 3-D shoot.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I keep seeing visions of a Montana Longbow on my bow rack.....I'd love to shoot one, most of the reviews I have heard have been very positive.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i've been shooting trad since 73'. these days i uually hunt with only 2 or 3 bows. bob lee signature recurve with 3 sets of limbs (46#, 48# for deer, and 56# for elk). i have many longbows, but my favorite (this year) is a 5028 bear montana that i spray painted black and grey. i use a 57# crow creek longbow for elk. for the recurves i use 2018 alimunim shafts with 125gr zwickey's or 125gr magnus (all 2 blade). for the longbows i use 23/64 poc woodies with either 125gr magnus, 150gr grizzlies, or 160gr simmons. i hunt deer/hogs here on the farm and go out west every year to either colorodo, new mexico, or montana for elk. great way to hunt. you'll never forget the first deer or elk you take using trad gear. i wish i could start all over again. good hunting.

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Been shooting traditionally since 1976 as a youngster. Had the fortune of growing up among some fantastic trad shooters and bow builders. My longbow of choice now (don't laugh!) is a PSE Sequoia at about 62 lbs. It is certainly not a custom but it just works! I have come to also like shooting Gold Tip 5575's and prefer 125gr Zwickeys. Haven't hunted with bow for many years since I left MT but I do miss hunting Yellowstone River bottom white tails!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I started with a dual shelf Bear Alaskan in 79. I've been serious about bowhunting for the last 20 years. My set up is a 62" 60# Silvertip with 580 gr Gold Tip arrows with 160 gr Snuffers. Big short blood trails!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Right now, my favorite bow is my 60# Martin dreamcatcher.Selway quiver,29" 2018 Easton Legacy shafts,and I change BHs like I change bullets.Always looking for the perfect one.I've owned several recurves, but that Martin is hands down my favorite.Been shooting trad since '03.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil...
...is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I started hunting with a bow about 35 years ago. I used an old Pen Pearson "Ambusher" for many years, though I was only successful with small game and fish for several years. I started shooting a compound bow in my early 20's, then went back to traditional in the late 80's. I bought a Brackenbury "Legend" recurve, which was 64" and 62#. I had several others, but that was my "main squeeze" until a hurricane got it a while back. I now shoot a Robertson "Primal" longbow, 53# at 64", cedar arrows that I finish myself and an assortment of broadheads, including the old, yellow Bear razorheads, Zwickey's and Grizzly's.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, LtPowell.
I'd say that Pearson be old.... and maybe has a few scuffs on it, too.... Most notably the one that makes the B look like a P grin
(sorry, I know we should't pick on a guy over typo's, had ta do it)

9 years now hunting with bow and arrow. Most of my bows are upper 40's at my draw (47-50). I use carbon arrows and any 2 blade broadhead that's sharp, not particular about brand. Most of what I have are bear razorheads. They're all easy to sharpen and all seem to work.

I'd like to say I enjoy hunting whitetails the most but my actions prove otherwise. If I don't see a deer after a while any squirrel or whatever comes along is usually fair game. I just enjoy shooting critters with a bow and get too impatient. And since one rabbit or squirrel ain't enough for a stew or a fry the rest of the day is pretty much shot as far as deer hunting goes.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I started in '68 with an old Necadah Shakespheare recurve which was really too heavy for the high school senior I was-55lbs at 28" but I shot a badger with it the first year.

No hunters in the family let alone bow hunters, I knew nothing, and didn't even have matched arrows. Never saw a deer that first year. Hunted hard in the'80s but sort of faded out of it in the early 90's in favor of pheasant, and elk hunting. To date have taken about 25 deer, does and bucks, the biggest being about a 160 class buck.

Presently have a Bruin recurve with two sets of limbs, one at 53# and 54" long; the other is at 58# and with limbs 58" long; both weights are at 28" draw though my draw is 30". My other bow is a Fedora, 62" long, and 62# at the same draw length. I still use Easton XX75s and broadheads such as Zwickeys and Magnus. The shorter limbs on the Bruin I use in a blind for turkeys and deer and for cold weather hunting.

I will hunt deer for the first time again this fall, Lord-willing, and am looking forward to it.

Last edited by goodnews; 02/14/10.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I started shooting a bow in 1941. Won my first archery award in 1947. Started bowhunting for deer in 1955. Have hunted every year since. Never owned a compound. Currently shooting 50+ pounds for hunting with a longbow of my own design.

[Linked Image]

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I run an old home-built sinew backed osage orange bow that is 21 years old. It's a 55 lb'er, 25" draw, right at 47" long. I call it my Buffalo Bow, as it is fashioned after the type recurve that the plains Indians widely used. Took a black bear with her in '93, and used some of his hide to fashion a quiver and some wrapping with. I left the fur on. Also made a sheath for my 14" bowie with the hide. A 14" bowie is not very practical for a lot, but it looks good with it. I keep a smaller knife with me to cape, skin, and dress. I've got a few more bows, from Hoyt compound (a few years old now), a couple other compounds (Quicksilver? pretty old; even a compound with "Robin Hood" on it ancient lol), to some store bought recurves from Fred Bear ,etc.

It somehow feels just a tad more satisfying when I have success with my home made chunker.

Last edited by SpecialEd; 02/15/10.
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by centershot
I keep seeing visions of a Montana Longbow on my bow rack.....I'd love to shoot one, most of the reviews I have heard have been very positive.

I just ordered a new Toelke longbow about two weeks ago. Its a 64" 55#@28". It has the Pau Ferro riser and juniper limbs. Should have it in about two more weeks........I can't wait.

Dan makes some fine bows. If you ever shoot one you will be hooked.

Dave

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I toyed with a compound a little as a teenager. that lasted one summer/fall.

These days I shoot mostly a Dammon-Howatt Black Mamba but I also have their Super Diablo and X-200 as well. I've used my dad's Hunter a bit - but he's not ready to let go of it yet. (grin)

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a sky archery longbow also a Ben Pearson #709 Hunter recurve,Hoyt hunt-master recurve 2sets of limbs.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have been hunting with a bow for 13 years. Switched from the compound to a 60# Fred bear Kodiak 7 years ago and never looked back. I now shoot a 55# Great Plains swift take down recurve. I shoot full length Gold tips with a 75 grain brass insert and 145 Eclipse single bevel broadhead. Yet to kill with this set up ( drew short on a bull this year and shot an inch under his belly! got to excited!) but I have good feeling about this year!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I started as a kid with a Bear Grizzly #45. Now I'm 46 yrs old. Had I known better then, that bow would have done everything I needed it to do, and I would have saved myself a bunch of money.:-) Since then, many bows have come and gone, and I have switched from recurves to compounds and back. I've owned other Grizzlies, Pearsons, a custom Bighorn, and other recurves. Now, hanging in my rack is a Bear Cub #50 (which I bought at 16 yrs old, and was smart enough to keep), a Samick Deerslayer #50, and a Samick Squall #55. I shoot 2114 aluminum out of the Bear and Deerslayer with old style Bear 140gr stainless broadheads, and carbons with 155gr steelforce four blades with a 50gr brass insert out of the Squall.(There are also two collector bows that are not shootable. One is a self bow made by my Gramps that he used to hunt with, and a vintage York long bow I had Glen St. Charles sign many years ago.)

Once again, I have all the bows I would ever need to hunt what ever I want. Did I learn anything? Am I finally done buying and selling bows? Can my wife finally take a deep breath of relief?....Man, I hope not.

As Glen St. Charles said on my York, "Keep the arrows flying."

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Bowhunting, all traditional, for 40 years.

I've never owned a compound so that's how I rationalize owning too many trad bows including selfbows that I make.

This elk season: Bob Morrison ACS longbow 60" 55#. Heritage 150 arrows. Ace, Stos or Zephyr broadhead. (Bob no longer makes ACS bows.)

Deer season: I used one of RWL99's Shrew Classic Hunters. The perfect treestand bow for me. 54" 51#. AD Trad Lite arrows with same broadheads or cedar shafts with same broadheads.

Some days I take an osage selfbow/cedar arrows for local deer hunting.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Been hunting with recurves and longbows since '68. First animal I killed with a bow was an Ermine in the winter of 1968. Used a Ben Pearson "Jet", 35# with cedar arrows and a Bear Razorhead.
Currently have three that I shoot most on dry land; 60# Jerry Hill longbow that fits me like no other, a 48# Seven Lakes longbow that I caribou hunted with, and a 45# Martin Rebel that I bought for hunting the thick East Texas brush and from treestands.
I shoot mainly cedar with Zwicky or Magnus 2 blade broadheads, 125gr for the Rebel and the Seven Lakes, 140gr for the Jerry Hill.
I do shoot some 2018's with Magnus 125's out of the Rebel.
My bowfishing rigs are; (#1 favorite) Bear original takedown, "A"riser @55# with an AMS Retriever, and second, an early PSE Coyote type(not marked Coyote and a different riser design) #60# with an AMS Retriever. I bowfish with Muzzy heads on either Muzzy or Cajun shafts.
I finish all of my own arrows. I shoot feathers exclusively.

Boy, this thread has brought back some GOOD memories!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

408 members (1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 222Sako, 10ring1, 219DW, 34 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,776
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.