-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
TSX...all the way...easier to get them to shoot and a sure bet, performance wise...

Wish I could stowaway and watch the proceedings..... whistle

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Checkfire,

I like my 7mm-08 on Whitetail and hogs. When I was in South Africa in 2008 my PH was telling me about a lady that hunted with him just before us who used a 7mm-08 and had one shot kills on plains game including Kudu.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by ingwe
TSX...all the way...easier to get them to shoot and a sure bet, performance wise...

Ingwe

They both shoot about the same. I will be using my 300 wsm, my buddy will be using my 257 as he is shooting much smaller stuff than I. I am kind of excited to see how the 257 with the 100 TTSX does on his kudu.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still am very found of using the .338 Win mag or a .338-06 would do a great job as well. I would even be satisfied with a good rifle (Winchester model 70) in the 35-Whelen caliber.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Thanks CharlesL for your observations, and to OP 'Radar' I hope you are gaining good info, as am I, and hope you do not feel your thread is being hijacked as this is not intended.

I also am interested in NA big-game usefulness, and suppose I would use my .300WM or 30-06 were I limited to a single rifle for NA and AfricanPG. But to be honest, I dislike the recoil of my .300WM (Rem700BDL/WeaverV16)--I love the rifle, it just kicks the Chit outta me. I've hunted the .338WM and .375H&H, but this .300WM seems to knock the fillings out of my back teeth. True story--at the range one fine day, I had shot 30-06 and .338WM--brought out my .300WM, fired a group, the wasps started flyin' and the dust from the rafters fallin', and the guys on BOTH sides of my bench started bitchin' as they packed up--one said 'IF you're gonna shoot THAT, you oughta' come when there's nobody else here..'
WTF?? maybe it is the wavelength/frequency of the .300WM "crack", but I find it more annoying than the larger bores,too!

So I guess I would rather hunt my 7-08 and have a .35 Whelen just in case than hunt that .300WM sumbitchflamenblaster--but hellno it ain't fer sale either--it's been my 'dream rifle' for years crazy..whar's my big girl pantys??..

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe

They both shoot about the same. I will be using my 300 wsm, my buddy will be using my 257 as he is shooting much smaller stuff than I. I am kind of excited to see how the 257 with the 100 TTSX does on his kudu.

It will be interesting to see how the TTSX from the 257Wby goes on the Kudu.......... please keep everyone posted.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I'm thinking the .257/TSX combo on Kudu will be just fine...... grin

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Checkfire
Thanks CharlesL for your observations, and to OP 'Radar' I hope you are gaining good info, as am I, and hope you do not feel your thread is being hijacked as this is not intended.

I also am interested in NA big-game usefulness, and suppose I would use my .300WM or 30-06 were I limited to a single rifle for NA and AfricanPG. But to be honest, I dislike the recoil of my .300WM (Rem700BDL/WeaverV16)--I love the rifle, it just kicks the Chit outta me. I've hunted the .338WM and .375H&H, but this .300WM seems to knock the fillings out of my back teeth. True story--at the range one fine day, I had shot 30-06 and .338WM--brought out my .300WM, fired a group, the wasps started flyin' and the dust from the rafters fallin', and the guys on BOTH sides of my bench started bitchin' as they packed up--one said 'IF you're gonna shoot THAT, you oughta' come when there's nobody else here..'
WTF?? maybe it is the wavelength/frequency of the .300WM "crack", but I find it more annoying than the larger bores,too!

So I guess I would rather hunt my 7-08 and have a .35 Whelen just in case than hunt that .300WM sumbitchflamenblaster--but hellno it ain't fer sale either--it's been my 'dream rifle' for years crazy..whar's my big girl pantys??..

That's a funny post.......! grin

Eventually....when we get smart we stop messing with big-jugged 30's.They wear on ya.....!

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/14/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Radar Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I have a 7mm-08 and have killed Whitetails with it, IMR 4350 and 140 gr bullets shoot real well in it. Although I did not think this would be an ideal caliber for such a hunt. My favorite rifle is a 257 Roberts that I own.
Thanks to all who have shared information and I have learned a great deal.
Reading into some of these posts I see that bullet preference is as important as caliber and probably more so on the "lighter calibers".

Radar

REJ Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a 7'08 and love it for WT deer. Don't think I would take it to Africa. You get a bad shoot on a Gemsbok and you will track it for day's. This can happen with any caliber but imho the smaller caliber's will increase your odds.. I used a 300 wsm with a 180 TSX and ever thing that I shot dropped in its tracks. I took a 7 mag for the small stuff like springbok. Were going back to Namibia in June '11. I only plan to take 1 gun, the 300wsm.

rej

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so that we will always be free" - President Reagan
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've made a number of plains game hunts to Namibia. I took one rifle each time with a spare scope. The cartridges were .300 Weatherby with 200 grain Nosler Partitions; .300 Winchester and on my last trip a.30/06 the Win. Mag and .30/06 were loaded with 220 grain bullets that I swaged myself. They all worked fine on every thing from springbock to eland. If I go again I'll use my .30/06 with a 1 1/2-6X B&L Elite 4000, the same outfit I took on my last hunt there. That's pretty much in line with what most people recommend.
John

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
John,did your own bullets work well? Have you made any in other weights,like 180 30's,etc?That's really interesting!

If you recovered any I'd like to see them

Bring some next time we get together! smile

Last edited by BobinNH; 02/14/10.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
ckr Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Took a pre '64 .300 H&H to Namibia last June for Gemsbok x 2, Kudu, Zebra and Springbok with 180 gr. TBBC's. Worked real well but wouldn't mind a bigger bore. Bought a CZ 550 9.3 x 62 for "next time". Based on my observations, though very limited, I'd hesitate to use sub .30 cal regardless of bullet. Definately like the H&H better than the mags. in the .300.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The 300H&H isn't a magnum? Hmm, thought that was the 1st 300mag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
REJ,

I shot a Gemsbuck literally at the last light on the last day of my hunt. The herd was moving around and other Gemsbuck was either behind or in front of the one my PH had selected. I finally had a clear shot and rushed it. Hit it a little far back and just got the back of the lungs. It only went about 100 yards and I was glad I was shooting the PH's 375 H&H. Larger calibers aren't a panacea, but are a little more forgiving.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Lex Webernick lightweight strata .300 win mag! Worked great for me, all one shot kills!

DSC Life Member
SCI Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 257 roberts is an amazing round. I load my Ruger with 115 gr tsx at an honest 2900 ft/sec. 44gr h414 and it is flat shooting. I would have no trouble with it for the small stuff, and many use it on elk in N/A so it should work on kudu. Most PH s want 30 cal for a better blood trail. I have not shot anything that walked more than two steps so far, but trust your PH.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can only say, that the .338 Win mag was all I needed and brought down those bigger animals with authority using shoulder shots. They never went 10 yards, kudu, wildebeast, eland, bushbuck or waterbuck.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Radar
An African hunt is something that has interested me for a few years now and I am now financially able to go. I read this forum atleast twice a week and enjoy it.
There are several questions that need to be asked and hopefully this does not start a pissing contest. whistle
My hunt will be for plains game and I will purchase a new rifle and scope for this.

1.) First choice: single shot, second choice: bolt gun, which is better?

2.) Caliber choice: I am old school and prefer an old school cartridge: 35 Whelen,405 Win or ?

3.) Optics power ?

4.) I would like to use this same rifle setup on big game in North America.

I did a search for this on the forum and nothing came up.

Best Regards,
Radar

A) I have never hunted Africa, so offer these remarks as an armchair expert

1) I would prefer a bolt gun for the quick second shot capability, however a single shot would be fine in that from what I've seen and read, second shot chances are relatively rare.

2)If I were doing this hunt, I would opt for the 338 Magnum

3) I would use a Kahles 1.5-6 scope. I use this scope on my 338-06 and it is beautiful.

4) You could use this rig in NA, maybe with a bit more power in the scope.

Kevin Haile
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ingwe, I think it will be plenty as well. like I said, my buddy will be using it (i will use it for jackals). I told him to purposely drive that bullet through the shoulder.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (7mm_Loco, 808outdoors, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 15 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,494
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.