Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I am just getting into shotshell reloading and my buddy told me I need some Winchester 12 gauge AA hulls, does anyone have some they could part with? Shoot me a pm if you can help out.

GB1

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The old AA hulls are one piece while the new ones are two piece. That may or may not affect your choice of hulls. Personally, I like the one piece bases such as those found on the old AA cases and on some of the Remington cases such as the Gun Club.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Rem gun clubs, STS, Nitro are all good hulls. The new style AA's are still good, I've loaded 1000's of them without any problems.
Jack

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree with the posters ahead of me.

My experience with AA hulls is that much of the reloading info out there is for the older one piece hulls. Even though the newer two piece hulls are said to have the same internal capacity, and therefore can use the same data, be warned that they are not the same! Many loads that fit perfectly in the old one piece AA hull result in wad hangups and bulges due to the step at the base of the newer two piece hulls.

So... Although I have a pile of newer AA hulls, I really don't use them much. I greatly prefer either the Remington Nitro hull (a tapered hull and my first choice) or the Federal Gold Medal hull (second choice, straight sided for higher capacity loads). Both are available pretty cheaply once fired from a variety of sources. I prefer Ballistic Products.

Good luck!

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
A real good place to look is at a local trap range. Sometimes guys will throw them away or not pick them up when they are done shooting. I just ask if they are keeping them and if they mind if I take them if they arn't. Sometimes trap clubs sort their hulls that guys throw in the barrels and sell them for dirt cheap. Hulls are very hard to find at Midway (they are all on backorder!!). I would suggest buying a bunch of factory ammo, shoot them up and then reload the hulls. Like some here have said, the remington nitro and sts hulls are just as good if not better (IMHO). I use both AA and the gold nitro 27 remingtons. To be honest I prefer the nitros over the AA's because you get less pressures and you notice that in recoil especially when you are stuffing longshot and 1 1/4 oz of shot into them. My legal trap loads are Win AA hulls with clays powder @1170 to 1200 fps. though. Hope this helps, Chief.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

709 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 16gage, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16Racing, 62 invisible), 2,864 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,844
Posts18,478,302
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.