Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ellie
<br>
<br>I killed my first deer at the age of 14 with a 45-70.
<br>
<br>Sorry it was a trapdoor and only God knows the age of the ammo. I wanted to hunt, my family wasn't hunters and an old man at the grocery store set me up with that long barreled monster.
<br>
<br>He was only a Texas whitetail six point but the pride of my life at that time.
<br>
<br>He was on a hillside probably 40 yards looking at me under the lower branches of a cedar. Only one I have shot in the forehead.
<br>
<br>When Monroe Higgs died I tried to buy the rifle but was turned down.
<br>
<br>
<br>

[email] <a href="mailto:[email protected][/email]">[email protected][/Email]</a>

much obliged eddie
GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
EllieMae,
<br>My best 45/70 story is neither about a levergun nor a "success".
<br>Quite a while go,I was sitting on a sidehill,about 40 yards above a ledge that rose in height toward the edge.The back part of the ledge,closest to me,was very heavily covered with saplings and brush.It thinned out nearer the edge.
<br>Three "hunters" walked up from the bottom,crossed the ledge,and passed on to the top of the mountain.They were Yakking like they were going to a Bar,instead of hunting.
<br>I realized then that nothing would stir for another hour,or so.I laid my single shot Trapdoor on my lap,and rested.
<br>Less then five minutes after they passed,I could still hear them talking,I spotted a deer sneaking along the ledge.I put my binos on it,a doe.But there was more,five in all,and one was a huge ten pointer.I had never seen anything like this before,in my life.
<br>I raised the Trapdoor,held the trigger,while i cocked it.(if you don't hold the trigger,cocking the rifle sounds like a 22 shot).The deer were all bunched up.I could not see the buck. I picked him out with the glasses again,but he diappeared without them.I went through this routine two more times,but the buck just walked on by.
<br>If only he had strayed farther away,or just raised his head like a real sporting buck would do.I don't think that he ever saw me,although he probably heard my heart banging against my ribcage.
<br>I really do'nt know how long it lasted;it seemed like all morning.
<br>I did'nt get any venison,but I did get a memory that I've had for about 35 years.
<br>Frank

Frank Earley
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (35, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 7 invisible), 1,420 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,511
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.