Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
When did "Winchester" start putting one piece bottom metal on the model 70? Did that start with the South Carolina production or was it already used with some of the late New Haven rifles?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They've had it for years at the NH plant..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm pretty sure that the 1 piece bottom metal used in the New Haven plant were Williams too.

M
OP Offline
M
Was that changed at the same time they re-introduced the CRF "classic" action? I didn't realize it had occurred that long ago!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Lots of classics came with two piece metal.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One piece bottom metal started in 2003.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by winchester70
One piece bottom metal started in 2003.

My father and I developed the one-piece trigger guard for USRAC in the latter part of 1998 and fully developed it for production in 1999. The first models were for long-actions only and they were used for Safari Express, Super Express, and Super Grade models.
I believe it was about 2000 when we developed the short-action model, which was later revised in 2005 because the engineers made an error on trying to copy our outside profile, subsequently increasing the width of the front tang. They did this because they brought out our design in a casted aluminum piece to use on all of their rifles.
That casted aluminum guard is what FN is currently using on all of their rifles, other than the Safari Express that was just introduced this year. It has steel on it, but not from us.

During the 1999-2002 timeframe, we also made all of the flooplate and hinges that were used in conjunction with USRAC's aluminum trigger guard. Those were used exclusively on the Sporter LT and Classic Sporter; the stocks claimed to have been designed by David Miller, though David has a bit of a different story on that......(grin)

Last edited by triggerguard1; 02/15/10.

M
OP Offline
M
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I see some of the new OEM featherweight stocks advertised as fitting the one piece bottom metal, not the older two piece style. I thought that either floorplate/trigger guard assembly would fit the same stocks. BTW, I've read that the stocks are not manufactured by Winchester/FN,; anyone know what company is the maunfacturer? Thanks very much.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
They're made in Italy......I can't remember the name of the manufacturer, but I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be someone that just anyone could purchase stocks from.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A bit off the original topic, but I have the factory bottom metal from my new SC M70 in front of me, and as Matt told us earlier, the floorplate is steel, the rest cast aluminum. The reason it is in front of me is I just replaced it with an all steel Williams unit. My only complaint with the rifle out of the box was that the floorplate did not close tightly, making for an uncomfortable carry, among other problems. The replacement unit from Williams was a perfect, tight fit, with no further inletting required, and the floorplate is a tight, secure fit. With the original unit out of the rifle, the floorplate seems to fit just fine, tight, but with a little more side to side movement than I would like. Not sure what the problem was, but it is gone now. Thanks to Williams Firearms for a quality product.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by triggerguard1

That casted aluminum guard is what FN is currently using on all of their rifles, other than the Safari Express that was just introduced this year. It has steel on it, but not from us.

The catologue indicates the Super Grade is also all steel??

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Texas99
The reason it is in front of me is I just replaced it with an all steel Williams unit.

That solves a problem for me as I was looking to get Super grade and Extreme Weather in 300 Win and the EW is not all steel. But maybe the Super Grade is not all steel

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Texas99
My only complaint with the rifle out of the box was that the floorplate did not close tightly, making for an uncomfortable carry, among other problems.
Hmmm., and here I was supposed to believe these wondrous new SC models were the very definition of quality..

(ok, ok, a tad bit of sarcasm there...) Hehehehehee...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mike378

The catologue indicates the Super Grade is also all steel??

I've got a new Super Grade -- that assembly is all steel, including the trigger guard portion of it. Seems to be well made and finished.

[edit] The SG also has a steel pistol grip cap instead of the cheezy plastic used on the Sporter and FW.

Last edited by Redeye; 02/16/10.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Triggerguard1, Do your steel one-piece trigger guards for the M70 just drop in or do they need some fitting by a gunsmith? I have several M70 rifles that I would like to fit with one-piece trigger guards. The only one I have with a one-piece is a .243 WSSM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Every one I've installed was 95% drop-in.. Only minor, and I mean MINOR (like, 5 minutes, tops) fitting was needed - and then only rarely.. An easy job for anyone, even an amateur like the Chief..

laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Matt makes some good stuff.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I notice there are short and long action versions. I assume the long action is the 30/06, .338WM length. Is the short for the WSM models or the WSSM models? I would think I would get short for a 270 WSM. Is that correct? What would I need for my .243 WSSM? (It came with a one-piece, but I was just wondering.)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
This thread kinda took off, so I'll try to answer as much as I can while my blueing tanks are heating up..

First, our trigger guards are a drop-in replacement for all of the FN Model 70's in both short and long-action.

If you order a short-action, it will fit the 308 as well as the 300WSM models.

We don't offer any guards for the WSSM's.

FN was sitting with some of my old inventory in April of 2007 before they brought the Model 70 back into production. This may very well be what they're using for their Super Grades and Safari Express rifles currently. We aren't providing those parts to them any longer, but that's not to say that they may have had someone else making them.

The aluminum guards do have a steel floorplate, but there's a big difference between those and what we're currently offering.

Well, I'm outta time, so thanks for all the kind words and I'll check in again this evening.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Am I correct in assuming they will also fit the pre-FN rifles, perhaps with a little fitting?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.