Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Originally Posted by Dawn2Dusk
I'd bomb them out... I'd get a dozen roach/insect canister bombs and I'd start on one side of the attic and go to the other setting them off in series, get out - close up the attic and let it sit for several hours.

Then, I'd put out glue traps (12 of them) http://www.amazon.com/Baited-Mouse-Insect-Snake-Boards/dp/B001O7AYO0

I'd leave them over night and go back up and check.

I'd replace the ones that have caught stuff.

Once I thought I had the majority of critters caught I'd look to find what they were eating on and I'd remove it completely.

I'd got back and put mouse bait in the attic to kill the remaining snake food sources...

I couldn't live in that house until the SNAKES were gone.

Knowing me, I'd put 30 canister insect bombs up there. I'd fog them into wanting fresh air and leaving the attic.

It's just a black snake.......

For those folks that know me, they sincerely realize that I would stop at nothing short of using my 10 Ga. with Nitro Turkey loads to rid my house of "A" snake or "MULTIPLE" snakes... Holes in roof, ceiling, floor I wouldn't give a second thought to it. BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoying Each Sunrise...

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If it were me I would welcome him. Great mouser and cool to watch.

Try pouring a couple boxes of moth balls ( yeah I know all the jokes ) out in your attic. The naphtha in them does help repel snakes. Helps open your sinuses too.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

I found a large nest of Cobras living under our house.
I also received advise to, "Just leave them be."

It wasn't long after, that all my dogs and cats disapeared.

Now my wife is missing ... And I'm afraid I may be next.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i live in the country, and as soon as it gets cold mice come calling. i put lots of poison packets in my attic and find dead mice all the time. i wish i had a couple of black snakes in the attic. they are harmless snakes that constrict their prey, and excellent mousers. i see em' all the time in the warm months, along with the cottonmouths. don't concern yourself with the black snake(s). they help!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's my understanding that black snakes kill and eat small rattle snakes. Your choice is simple, black snakes or rattle snakes. I know what my choice would be. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now, let's keep this politically correct - is it a BLACK snake or an African-American snake and is someone doing some prejudicial profiling here? Many of the responses/suggestions are very enlightening and helpful (will not breed/hatch there, will leave in Spring, will catch mice, etc.) but those observations are off the critical point - which is - what is the PC way to address the appearance and assumed ethnicity of this snake.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Its an Obama snake. Black on top and white on bottom.

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CCCC
Now, let's keep this politically correct - is it a BLACK snake or an African-American snake and is someone doing some prejudicial profiling here? Many of the responses/suggestions are very enlightening and helpful (will not breed/hatch there, will leave in Spring, will catch mice, etc.) but those observations are off the critical point - which is - what is the PC way to address the appearance and assumed ethnicity of this snake.

I sort of dug the bazooka approach. If taken, then by all means please You Tube it.!!

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Be sure to tuck in your blankets at night.

Jim
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Throw a mongoose up there.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Spread some mothballs around, they don't like them.

Moe

"Pick out two!"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Snakes can't stand ammonia. get a spray bottle or garden sprayer and mix up a strong ammonia spray and go around where you think he may be and spray. If he's there he will try to get away from the ammonia and you just have to snatch him up and get he out of there.

Tarheel

No people will tamely surrender their Liberties when knowledge is diffusd and virtue is preservd. On the contrary, when people are ignorant, and debauchd in their manners they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of Invaders. Samuel Adams
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Leave it alone,more benefit than harm.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
No damn Obama snake here or AA snake this is a big azz Black snake. His sheds are easily 6 feet long. Never seen a rattlesnake or copper head around the house. No signs of any mice around although they are around in the woods.

Lets hope he moves on in the spring or I may try a few traps but I do not want to kill him I actually like snake but he needs to stop [bleep] in the attic. His sheds dropping on me when I pull the ladder down do not help much either.

Will high temps in the summer in the attic drive him out? It get hot as Hades up there in July and August. One died in the garage a few years back and fell on the windsheild of the car when I drove in, thought I was being attacked by flying snakes.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Do black snakes eat squirrels? I could have used a squirrel eating snake in my attic last year.

- Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Borealis Bob
Throw a mongoose up there.

But then what do you use to get rid of the mongoose?

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A six foot long black snake ain't eating spiders, but rats and squirrels would be about the right size.

Leave it be, it'll move on.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably a nice 20 Ga SxS would work.

Or leave it be. You'll have no rodents and few bugs up there while the snake is in residence. However,I'm sure your wife can find it this spring if you send her up there.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
She is not too upset by it. But, you should have seen what happened when a big old wolf spider went in the sink. She HATES spiders.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Can't help, now if it was a shark, then one of the lawyers here would now what to do. grin

This might be one of the ones that voted Obama in. shocked

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 68 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.