-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We went over to Silver City, New Mexico. It was my 11-year old son's first "big game" hunt. We got lucky and spotted a javelina following a herd of antelope trotting over a hillas we drove in on the ranch road. We bailed out and started follwoing it up the hill. As we got close to the top, I looked back and saw a group of javelina about 100 yards in front of where we parked the trucks. This group made for an easier stalk, so my son and our rancher friend made the stalk while the rest of us watched.

My son, using the shooting sticks like he'd been practicing, madea great 100 yard shot through the shoulder and the javelina ran about 20 feet and dropped. I was a very proud papa!

The next morning, we spotted a single javelina a mile or so away using large binoculars on a tripod from the bed of the truck. We made a long stalk, found out there was a group of them there, got on them and the other two of us bagged ours. A long drive, but a lot of fun was had and a lot of memories were made!

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by biggameassassinator
Thanks for the tips. Im either hunting unit 22 in bloody basin, or 5a at a cabin. And im leanin towards the cabin because we bait them there all the time.

You do know that you have to get drawn for Javelina and you can only hunt in the unit you are drawn. A unit 22 tag is no good in unit 5a. This thread should perk up the ears of AZGF.....

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by PhilinAZ
Originally Posted by biggameassassinator
Thanks for the tips. Im either hunting unit 22 in bloody basin, or 5a at a cabin. And im leanin towards the cabin because we bait them there all the time.

You do know that you have to get drawn for Javelina and you can only hunt in the unit you are drawn. A unit 22 tag is no good in unit 5a. This thread should perk up the ears of AZGF.....

Well, I'm not sure if the OP is brand new at hunting and Az or someone pulling our leg, so I've laid off saying anything. If he's real I wish him all the enjoyment from hunting there is.

If he does have a tag I'm scared he will be in the wrong unit, hopefully he is hunting with a group that knows what part of Az they should be in.

Could just be someone pulling our leg.

Kent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Guys!

Calif hunter,
Congrats on a successful and great hunt with your boy. I can't wait for my son to be old enough to hunt.

As far as the OP and his little 5a or 22 issue, I hope he figured it out and hunted the right area.
At first I was thinking one of two things. One he was going with someone and he didn'tknow where. Then two, he could have ended up like me. I was supposed to hunt with someone in 32 but due to scheduling issues on their end, I ended up hunting with someone else in 36c.
Then I read the original post again and he said it was his first time hunting. So I don't know what to think hopefully we can get clarification.

What I did notice, was more people hunting pigs than normal. Maybe its because the AZGFD has made hunting nearly unaffordable and only a rich mans sport with their high prices. Javelina are not cheap, but cheaper than say deer.

Kique

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Use your glass wisely within the first 30 minutes of the season is always a good bet...

Found a herd opening morning and my Buddy Ron and I both shot javelinas from the same herd about 1 minute apart.

First hunt for 2010...so far, so good...

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tuesday morning I connected with a javi. It was a cool morning after the storm with all the small drainages running. Walked into a small group and shot this one through the head at 23 yds. Unit 33 near Oracle.

[Linked Image]

F
F
Great stories from all...however, has anyone hunted 19b? Most of the land in 19b is private. It is not the "typical" area for the Javelina to be in. Its mostly pine trees. Not sure but dont think I saw one cactus up there last weekend. I was realy hoping someone could give me some insight on AZ UNIT 19b...also, this is my sons first time being able to come out hunting with me...he is 9 years old and would be in heaven if we bagged an animal.

Last edited by freematt; 01/18/13.
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The best tip I can give you is spray the chit outa yourself. As soon as you start handling one, you'll be covered with fleas. eek

Kelly
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,298 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,706
Posts18,494,396
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.