Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TheDude Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just scored a Winchester M-190 in great condition.

Metal is all excellent. There are a couple very minor scratches/dings in the wood but nothing bad. The forend was very slightly wobbley but not bad enough to bother me, I think I can figure out how to firm it up after I get it home (hopefully).

It was recently traded into the local gunshop and wont be released until the 17th of next month. It came with an old school Bushnell Banner fixed 4x mounted solidly.

Overall its in very good condition with a shiney bore that appeared to have great rifling still, paid $89 plus tax.

Anyone have any experience with this model? Do they feed well? Any suggestions on what ammo to try first?

Regards,

Josh

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a Sears 3-T, their house brand of the Winchester 190. I have shot a variety of the lowest price Remington and Winchester 22 LR ammo in it without any trouble. The barrel stamp says that it is chambered for 22 S, L, and LR, but I've never shot any 22 Shorts or 22 Longs in it. Come to think of it, I can't even remember the last time that I saw any 22 Short or 22 Long ammo in the stores. The trigger isn't real crisp, but I can live with it from a sub-$100 rifle. Mine has a cheap scope on it, a 2-7x32 Japanese Tasco I think, in Weaver rings via the B-Square adapters.

Why won't it be released until the 17th of March?

Jeff

TheDude Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jeff,

They just brought the gun in, either on trade or bought it cash. My understanding is that the state law requires them to hold firearms for 30 days before allowing them to sell. I assume it has something to do with making sure it doesnt come back stolen but thats just a guess.

JW

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just curious, did you buy from a pawn shop?

Jeff

S
S
Josh- I've got the M-290, which is the same with, I believe, a bit nicer stock. I've had very few problems with feeding--just an occasional failure to extract. I just shot it a month ago, and Walmart bulk Fed & Rem and also Aguila 22s all shot to virtually the same POI at 25yds. The forearm wiggles a bit on mine too. I can live with it. After about 100 rounds at the bench, my only complaint is the trigger. It could really use a shoe. I have only fired long rifles in mine. Pretty nice rifle which I've had for about 30yrs. I just replaced a 4x scope with a cheap Tasco 3-9x. I think your 2-7x is perfect.
Keith

Steyr47
IC B2

TheDude Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Just curious, did you buy from a pawn shop?

Jeff

Nope, its just a plain jane gunshop. I suppose they must buy guns for cash though...

Josh

TheDude Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Steyr47
Josh- I've got the M-290, which is the same with, I believe, a bit nicer stock. I've had very few problems with feeding--just an occasional failure to extract. I just shot it a month ago, and Walmart bulk Fed & Rem and also Aguila 22s all shot to virtually the same POI at 25yds. The forearm wiggles a bit on mine too. I can live with it. After about 100 rounds at the bench, my only complaint is the trigger. It could really use a shoe. I have only fired long rifles in mine. Pretty nice rifle which I've had for about 30yrs. I just replaced a 4x scope with a cheap Tasco 3-9x. I think your 2-7x is perfect.
Keith

Thanks for the info Keith. I didnt look at the barrel when I had it in my hans yesterday but doesnt really matter as I will only fir LR's most likley anyway. Mine has a 4x on it now...may swap it for a 2-7 though...

Regards,

Josh

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
My dad bought me a 290 in 1965 for my 14th birthday. That may have been the first year for them. It still shoots any kind of ammo i put thru it very good. I have some good bolt actions but i do believe I shoot that gun better offhand or against a tree than any of the bolts. It seldom jams. When I was a kid, I would put shorts, longs, and long rifles mixed up down the tube and it would shoot 'em as fast as I could pull the trigger.

I think they came with a loose forearm. They are not very well made but seem to hold up about as good as any cheap auto.

One time I wanted to clean up the bolt so I pulled it out and the main coil spring ricocheted all over my bedroom. That thing is long and I had one heck of a time getting it and the bolt back in.

I have a lot of memories in that rifle and still shoot it some. Brimfish

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Brimfish

One time I wanted to clean up the bolt so I pulled it out and the main coil spring ricocheted all over my bedroom. That thing is long and I had one heck of a time getting it and the bolt back in.

Man, that brought back some memories. My friend, Mike, and I did the same thing with his Sears Ted Williams version of this rifle (his Mom's kitchen table). Lucky that neither of us got an eye injured.

Last edited by sheffieldshooter; 02/22/10.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Akshooter, 55 invisible), 2,263 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,816
Posts18,496,463
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.