-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Folks do call parts of Utah "Happy Valley" LOL!

But seriously; I'm not sure what you meant. We don't have bears behind every sage bush, but we do have a few black bear attacks every year. We also have lots of cougar, an increasing number of wolves, and enough often-rabid fox, coyote, raccoon and feral cats/dogs to keep things moderately interesting for the solo hiker. Or urban power-walker for that matter.

I'd feel moderately well protected with a .38 for all those except a bear or really large cougar; my 44 Special gives me added confidence.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
A while back Ross Seyfried did an article in one of the Handloader/Rifle issues on his carrying of a .38 snubbie as an elk finisher. Factory solids failed miserably but he finally came up with a warm handload using hardcast flat points that would reliably penetrate a bull's skull. That being the case this load from DoubleTap may be workable for the unavoidable emergency. 950 fps from a S&W snubbie.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_57&products_id=322

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Truly old phardts will recall that one of the stated reasons Saint Elmer carried a revolver was as an elk finisher. Many of his stories described the various successes and failures that put him on the path we DO remember.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Off subject and not that it matters,but in Co. legally, you have to have 550 ft lbs in a handgun,and min 4" barrel to even " finish" and elk off. A .357 mag is on the hairy edge there. I'd personaly carry an extra round for the rifle I am carrying instead of another 15-25 ounces of handgun.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
FNG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
finally got around to doing some tests on this subject. I loaded 158gr lrn Hornadys with 5.6 grains of true blue and did a comparison (bear with me) with 180g partition HG. I loaded the partitions from 4.0 to 4.6gr of true blue.

I screwed 2 phone bookd to a couple 2x6 boards and did some shootin'. As many would expect, the lighter lead had more penetration, just barely, than the best performing partition. The best performing partition was loaded with 4.2gr of true blue.

Of couse, none of the partitions really opened up, but I am more interested in penetration as this load is intended to be fired only into a bears ear for only the most extreme of situations. I do intend to buy an effective hadgun someday, but not very soon.

I'm sure my mind will get the best of me in some idle moment and there will be more of this manner of testing. Only time will tell, until then it's 158 lead - which all of you suggested.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I carry a 38 some of the time, even though i have more powerful choices. My first handgun was my Great Uncles M&P in 38 Special and I still like to give it a walk in the woods now and then. Once when I was a teen we killed a porcupine with it and had it for dinner. Give the gun a chance to make some memories, you wont regret it.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Double Tap has a 158gr cast load that does 950 fps from a 2" 38 Spl. Might be worth consideration.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_57&products_id=322

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FNG
I'm young and poor...

Try to avoid being old and poor - save your money and buy the proper handgun for the task. Sometimes a guy has to make do, but a .38 Special against bears is just wishful thinking.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
FNG Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Fell in love with a ruger alaskan. Now to start saving...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The 38 Special has several decades of failure behind it as a combat weapon on folks, taking that into consideration I would not expect it to save me from getting et by a bear...Bear guns begin with a 41, 44 or 45 IMO...

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Not that this has much to add, but I, at one time, carried my SP101 stoked with .38 FMJ rounds to finish off wounded deer. My thinking was a head-shot with a non-expanding round wouldn't be so messy, but effective.

I was wrong. I bounced 3 rounds off a doe's skull (from < 6feet!) before getting one in her ear to finally put her down. That goes to show the lack of energy of a .38spec out of a snub barrel.

However, it's better than a rock to throw...go with the 158gr SWCs.

Aqualung

"Bambi's Good Eatin'!"
- Me

"...Somewhere, there are Brownings in a two-hand hold,
Cocked and locked, one up the spout..."
- Jethro Tull
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,226 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,372
Posts18,469,319
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.