Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Hornady ND 405 Winchester dies have worked well for me.

HR IC

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Switched out the Hornady ND expander spindle set up with one from a Redding die set. That done, the Hornady ND works as well as any especially if neck expansion is accomplished in a separate push stroke.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Holy cow! Die snobs! laugh laugh grin

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I love the Lee Collet die for neck sizing and the Hornady seating die; this is the set-up I have for my 257 AI.

The Hornady New Dimension die set I own is the 338-06 A-Square and while their tapered sizer makes necking up 270 Win brass a snap (literally easier than using my 30-06 RCBS FLS on once-fired 30-06 cases) the necks are too tight once sized. I then have to run through my Redding neck sizer die after annealing case necks.

I sent the die back to Hornady to have them look at the problem (I've heard multiple compaints of over-sizing in their FLS dies in more than just the 338-06 dies) but they sent it back w/out explaining anything. When I ran another 100 cases through it I found the problem had not been remedied.

Again, their seater is fantastic. If you're getting a common catridge I'd strongly consider buying the Hornady set and then a Lee Collet Neck-Sizing Die so you don't have to use the Hornady FLS die.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've heard multiple compaints of over-sizing in their FLS dies

+1

I bought a Hornady 223 set to get the seater since it was cheaper than getting a VLD compatible plug for my RCBS Competition seater. I gave the FLS a try and it was way too tight. I didn't need measuring tools to tell the case bodies were being overworked.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
All my other dies are RCBS but I have a set of Hornady for my .35 Whelen and 7mm SAUM. No complaints whatsoever. I like their elyptical expander.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ldholton
all i use is hornady imo best seating die on the market

I agree and all my dies are red boxes.

Doc

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Interesting this should be asked. My shooting/hunting partner acquired a T/C Icon in 7-08. He also got Hornady dies. He has been having problems getting a load to shoot well. The scope had been reliable. He was ready to contact T/C. bit decided to resize some of the fired cases and try a few more loads. Up to this point, he had been using only new cases that he ran through the die to true them up. He had commented to me at one point how smoothly the expander ball came through the necks. When he was going to load the once-fired cases, he tried to run a Lee trimmer into them. It would not go into the case. At this point, a small voice told him to take a look at the expander ball, which turned out to be .22 caliber. Today a call to Hornady resulted in shock and a promise to send out a new expander stem/ball assembly. When he pointed out that he had shot up a lot of their bullets trying to make up for their error and asked if perhaps some bullets might be in the offing as well, he received a negative on that one.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 5sdad
When he was going to load the once-fired cases, he tried to run a Lee trimmer into them. It would not go into the case.

That is one of the things that tipped me off to the problem with my 338-06 FLS.

I was blown away by their response... or lackthereof... I mean I sent the die to them, explained the problems, got the die back with nothing more than an invoice showing what die they'd sent back to me. No mention of the problem or if they believed my understanding to be off.

I'd suggest having your friend buy a Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die for the 7-08. I've got '06 brass around from 10 yrs ago when I first started loading... probably been reloaded 14+ times and they've never needed to be run through an FLS.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I had a complant about a Hornady 308 die I bought and they sent me another one right away no cost or questions.

t_bare

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have the 40s&w dies from hornady and the seating die works real well.Seafire if you are not going to use the 260 dies sell them to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton
all i use is hornady imo best seating die on the market

If you think Hornady seaters are good, you apparently haven't tried Forster or Redding BR seaters.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a Hornady set (still do...) for .243 Win., but it severely oversizes the case, particularly in the neck. I called and complained to Hornady, they sent me a new body die, same result, another phone call, another body die - with request that they hone the neck out a few thousandths, still oversizing the neck. I gave up because it was splitting 2x fired brass from two different companies, one of them being Lapua brass, so I wasn't wasting anymore money splitting necks. The seating die is a sloppy copy of what you get with a Forster standard BR set.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Selmer, would you do me a favor (if you have time) and check the diameter of the expander on your die? (See my post above about my friend's mis-sized one.) Thanks, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I absolutely hate them, worst die on the market..IMO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
5s, I did that first and foremost. The expander is the right size, and even with the elliptical feature - which is a GREAT idea, it was splitting necks. The problem is that the expander ball (which was slipping on that damned spindle...)was sizing the ID from .229 up to .241 - way too far of a jump, overworking the brass unnecessarily.

Selmer

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I won't ever buy them or recommend them again.

Selmer

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the reply. Best, John

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Interesting this should be asked. My shooting/hunting partner acquired a T/C Icon in 7-08. He also got Hornady dies. He has been having problems getting a load to shoot well. The scope had been reliable. He was ready to contact T/C. bit decided to resize some of the fired cases and try a few more loads. Up to this point, he had been using only new cases that he ran through the die to true them up. He had commented to me at one point how smoothly the expander ball came through the necks. When he was going to load the once-fired cases, he tried to run a Lee trimmer into them. It would not go into the case. At this point, a small voice told him to take a look at the expander ball, which turned out to be .22 caliber. Today a call to Hornady resulted in shock and a promise to send out a new expander stem/ball assembly. When he pointed out that he had shot up a lot of their bullets trying to make up for their error and asked if perhaps some bullets might be in the offing as well, he received a negative on that one.
got to admit when i first read this i thought BS but went to shop to try something resized a couple peices of brass of 7-08 RP brass two ways with expander ball in place and with no expander ball at all in place the out ball in place inside neck dia. was .279 and with ball in place was .282 .282 pretty good give 3 thoundths neck tension a very good place to be but with no expander only over working anouther 3 thoundths is pertty tight tolerance for an non bushing die and dought that in most factory rifles you would notice the diff after all factory ammo is crimped much thighter than .006

Last edited by ldholton; 03/03/10.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by selmer
I had a Hornady set (still do...) for .243 Win., but it severely oversizes the case, particularly in the neck. I called and complained to Hornady, they sent me a new body die, same result, another phone call, another body die - with request that they hone the neck out a few thousandths, still oversizing the neck. I gave up because it was splitting 2x fired brass from two different companies, one of them being Lapua brass, so I wasn't wasting anymore money splitting necks. The seating die is a sloppy copy of what you get with a Forster standard BR set.
maybe you need to check your brass neck thickness you might need to turn neck or ream in side necks just a thought or you gun is way big chambered and over working brass you ever measure the inside neck after firing ?

Last edited by ldholton; 03/03/10.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 1minute, 63 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,706
Posts18,513,879
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.