Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
I mounted a Marble's tang sight on my 99EG (49-50 issue). It appears the sight aperture is much higher then the rear sight, set for 100 yds. I may have to replace the front sight with a taller one. My questions are as follows:

1) Where can you find a taller copy of the front sght,but taller?

2) Can you "bend" the sight base to lower it, and follow the contours of the stock, without misaligning the post from vertical?

Anyone, WITH EXPERIENCE ,with this particular sight, please give me any advice-info you can. Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by redbaron
I mounted a Marble's tang sight on my 99EG (49-50 issue). It appears the sight aperture is much higher then the rear sight, set for 100 yds. I may have to replace the front sight with a taller one. My questions are as follows:

1) Where can you find a taller copy of the front sght,but taller?

2) Can you "bend" the sight base to lower it, and follow the contours of the stock, without misaligning the post from vertical?

Anyone, WITH EXPERIENCE ,with this particular sight, please give me any advice-info you can. Thanks.

Shoot it FIRST, then decide. Look on eBay and gunbroker.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
redbaron, are you using one of the older Marbles sights or a new one?

R
OP Offline
R
The tang sight is one of the new ones. Not one of the "improved" models, with the removable posts.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I tried one of those on a EG and I had to bend it down as well. Make sure that you bend it over something round so that it doesn't buckle in one spot but bends in an arc.

IC B2

R
OP Offline
R
MW406..after you mounted it on your EG,did it work to your satisfaction? Was the post still 90 degr verticai from the rifle, and not "cocked"? Was the base following the contour of the stock? Did you replace the front sight?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I was able to keep it straight and could use the original front sight. It was tough getting the base to follow the contour of the stock but I think I got it pretty close. I Actually ended up selling it and now use an old Lyman tang sight that fits much better. I have about a dozen different Lyman and Marbles tang sights that I use on my Savage 99 and 1899s. I prefer the Lyman's with a screw in aperture. I use peep sights pretty much exclusively for all my hunting.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by mw406; 02/28/10.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's an impressive antelope for a tang sight! Very impressive!

I got a new Marbles tang sight with a 1920's 99C I bought. Shot fine, but maybe it'd been adjusted by previous owner.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mw406
I was able to keep it straight and could use the original front sight. It was tough getting the base to follow the contour of the stock but I think I got it pretty close. I Actually ended up selling it and now use an old Lyman tang sight that fits much better. I have about a dozen different Lyman and Marbles tang sights that I use on my Savage 99 and 1899s. I prefer the Lyman's with a screw in aperture. I use peep sights pretty much exclusively for all my hunting.

[Linked Image]

nice lope ..what caliber ,how many yards,,,

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks guys, this antelope was taken at about 150 yards with a 1917 vintage .250-3000. I'm pretty comfortable with these sights out past 200 yards if it's a good, clear shot and I have a steady hold. I really don't think you give up much using a peep sight. Low light reduces the effective range but once you get familiar with them, they're pretty easy to hit with. One other limitation to peep sights is you may have to take a little time to check out your intended target with binoculars before pulling the trigger, especially if it's a long shot. With a scope, you can check an animals headgear for example, then go right to the shot without ever taking the rifle off your shoulder.

Last edited by mw406; 03/01/10.
IC B3

R
OP Offline
R
mw406.. thanks for your info. Very nice pronghorn and 99. I have a Willimas FP sight on my 250-3000 99EG... wanted something different on my 300 99EG.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I just bought a Lyman tang sight for mine, I'll be interested in seeing how it improves the shootability. One question on the Williams FP, will it fit the tang holes on the older rifles or is it designed to fit the rear scope mount holes on ones drilled and tapped? When I looked over Williams' web site, it seems like what they had attached via the scope mount holes (mine isn't drilled and tapped)unless I missed it somewhere. The old Lyman has no adjustment for windage, I'd like something that does.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Williams FP is factory d&t rifles and uses the rear scope mount holes, doesn't fit the tang.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
What about the older Redfields? I can't tell from the pictures of it whether it would fit the tang (it looks like it could) or the scope mount holes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
older Redfields=tang holes

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ask about either Williams or Redfield before you buy one.

Both made sights that fit the tang holes, both made sights that fit the factory holes drilled for the rear scope mount base.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have a Williams FP that fits the tang holes. I'd sell it for what I have in it....$60. A little damage to one of the adjustment screws and one of the tang screws is buggered up, but can be hidden under the sight.

Brian

Brian

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Here's a redfield tang sight mounted on a 99 EG........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What's the deal on fitting that Redfield tang site. I've seen pictures where the wood had to be shaved to fit it, or so it seemed, but I've not seen one up close, and have hesitated to buy one for that reason. confused

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Brian, does your Williams FP resemble this Redfield or is it more like the Lyman or Marbles?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,479 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.